Busted usb flash drive

salam..

ok so i borrowed my dads flash drive, plugged it into the pc, was transferring stuff when wapda strikes.. any ways so i took it to a friends laptop then to copy the stuff that was transferred and turns out its stopped working. the computer detects it but says that the usb device has malfunctioned , cant rechonize it, bla bla bla... any ways, id rather not b busted, so could some one tell me if it can possibly get repaired, if so , then from where and around how much does it cost and stuff... btw i live in lahore..

ya ya i know the 'where' is most probably hafeez center, but can usb's get repaired? and for how much? and if u know a shop tell it to me.. thanks..

^Try formatting it first.

I don't think it's repairable, the reason being that they're usually so cheap, that people buy new ones instead of getting them fixed. And they're microchips, so to repair them, you'd need some kind of an engineer I guess, you can't expect some average Joe (or Iqbal) to do it. :P

Better to try using a recovery software like Easy Recovery Pro before formatting it.

I doubt its a hardware issue... unless the memory chip's regulator is blown...

Most times when flash drives stop functioning, it is because the USB connector contacts soldered on to the PCB break due to excessive force and/or strain. That doesn't seems to be the case per your description.

also try putting your flash drive in to another USB port on that laptop or back in your system if you didn't try that. then try other things.

Malfunctioned Device error is also some times caused by the loosed or damaged Ports them selves.

I could agree with Asad, give a try with a recovery software. I would recommend http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TestDisk

^x2 on yousaf and KA's reply

Also visit majorgeeks.com, and search for usb/HDD repair. I am sure you will find something useful there.

well the thing is its an 8gb flash drive, which is NOT cheap, not for me atleast.. and as for formatting and what not, it detects the flash drive but dosent show the icon, so cant format it nor use recovery software or w.e

check if it appears on computer management

9gb is around 1200 and 16 gb around 1800.

^ To all the people suggesting softwares, how can one format or use any recovery software, if the flash drive is not being recognized ??

RAW scanning.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

well the thing is its an 8gb flash drive, which is NOT cheap, not for me atleast… and as for formatting and what not, it detects the flash drive but dosent show the icon, so cant format it nor use recovery software or w.e
[/quote]

Did you tried plugging USB device in any other computer (other than your own)? Does it still can’t properly detect flash drive?

Actually (that icon thingy) did happened to me once. I plugged in USB device and Windows was detecting that there is something on USB port but was unable to mount the drive. I even tried restarting Windows but it didn’t helped. I plugged that device into my laptop and it was working there. Later I found that that USB port of desktop’s motherboard had became faulty all of the sudden (one useless port out of 6). I stopped using that port.

^that's what he didn't answer about when I asked :rolleyes:

and exactly that's what I have with the two of the six USB ports in my lappy, they do not work at all and tell me the same reason for any of the USB device pugged in. but other ports work fine.

I wish that would be the problem with him so that he will not have to spend extra money on it.

@Ahmed Anas

best of luck

Well my USB got busted too. It works fine but cant read the data and keeps asking me to format it....

I need to know which softwares effectively work nowadays.

i remember i also busted one of my usb by making partitions in it. I still wonder what have i done wrong. Performance also deteriorated significantly and after sometime i had to say a prayer for it.