Building a 4th gen gaming PC.........Need Help

Hello guys. I am planning to build a gaming PC of following specs.

Processor: Intel core i5 4670k (Used)= 24000

Mobo: Asus or gigabyte B85M-G= 9200

Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB = 9000

HDD:Segatte Baracuda 1TB 7200rpm = 6600

Power Supply: Corsair VS550 = 5700

Total= 55000

I can take the budget upto a maximum of 60000. I haven't added a GPU yet and shall use the on board graphics. I shall instal a GPU after two to three months when I'll have enough money. Need your comments on the configuration I've decided. Shall be very thankful to you :) .

Everything seems good except for the motherboard.

If you need to properly overclock the processor (as its a k series unlocked processor) you need to get a z87 chipset motherboard (plus aftermarket cooler for the processor).

Also get 2 sticks of ram instead of 1 for dual channel unless you are going to add another 8 gb stick later on.

When do you plan on building this machine ?

It would be better to hold off your purchase for now and go for new z97 motherboard as it is compatible with Intel next generation broadwell processor.

[quote=“jack, post:2, topic:21160”]

Everything seems good except for the motherboard.

If you need to properly overclock the processor (as its a k series unlocked processor) you need to get a z87 chipset motherboard (plus aftermarket cooler for the processor).

Also get 2 sticks of ram instead of 1 for dual channel unless you are going to add another 8 gb stick later on.

When do you plan on building this machine ?

[/quote]

I have already taken it in consideration but z87 chipsets cost significantly high i.e 21k minimum which does not suit my current budget, therefore, I must stick to a b85m. I also wanted sugestion about the graphics will Intel on board graphics play modern games at medium to high settings(for almost 3 months) and then I will buy a gtx 760. I am going to buy the PC in the next week. I can go for an H87 chipset as it comes within my budget. Will a gigabyte mobo be better than an Asus onein terms of overall performance?

Yes I've considered to buy 2 x 4GB rams as dual channel will give better performance and also some savings :)

[quote=“RAK, post:3, topic:21160”]

It would be better to hold off your purchase for now and go for new z97 motherboard as it is compatible with Intel next generation broadwell processor.

[/quote]

As I've said that my budget is around 60k and the z97 chipset will cost more than that.

First of all there is Gigabyte z87 motherboard (model number GA-Z87-HD3) which is available for Rs. 14100 in Pakistan which falls in your budget.

I myself prefer gigabyte motherboard because in addition to their other options they are made from oxidation resistant pcb which are longer lasting. So I would recommend them.

Intel 4670k comes with the hd4600 which will play some games on low to medium settings (mostly on 1366x768 resolution).

Where will you buy this pc from (I mean from which city) ?

Gigabyte boards are excellent in huild quality even in low end, where as asus low to mid end are very faulty.. personal experience of gigabyte products of over 14 years..

GB H87 is a premium board with all features of z87 except OC, which i recommend you dont since processor is already very powerful for next 2 years.

Vengence ram will do you no good, the corsair valueselect or kingston 1600 Ram 2x4GB stick will save you lots of money and work exactly as vengence.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Hello guys. I am planning to build a gaming PC of following specs.

Processor: Intel core i5 4670k (Used)= 24000 OK

Mobo: Asus or gigabyte B85M-G= 9200 Replace with Jack's suggestion

Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB = 9000 Pointless. ValueRam will work just fine. You will save money which can be used towards acquiring components which will provide a more substantial improvement

HDD:Segatte Baracuda 1TB 7200rpm = 6600

Power Supply: Corsair VS550 = 5700 Recommend buying the GS650 PSU, better wattage, better amps, overall a lot more sturdier both built & quality wise.

Total= 55000

[/quote]

Z87 chipset motherboard is highly recommended, especially if you intend to overclock the processor. If you don't intend to overclock, then don't get the K version. The simple 4670 variant will do just fine. Rest looks good to me. BoL.

[quote=“jDk, post:8, topic:21160”]

Z87 chipset motherboard is highly recommended, especially if you intend to overclock the processor. If you don't intend to overclock, then don't get the K version. The simple 4670 variant will do just fine. Rest looks good to me. BoL.

[/quote]

Yes I will definitely overcloack the processor and ;therefore, I will replace the mobo by a gigabyte z87 one and will also replace the ram with 2x4GB kingston ddr3. But still I have a case to decide. Can you recommend a good case in 2-3k? Will a "cooler master gx 650power supply" be good?

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:7, topic:21160”]

Gigabyte boards are excellent in huild quality even in low end, where as asus low to mid end are very faulty.. personal experience of gigabyte products of over 14 years..

GB H87 is a premium board with all features of z87 except OC, which i recommend you dont since processor is already very powerful for next 2 years.

Vengence ram will do you no good, the corsair valueselect or kingston 1600 Ram 2x4GB stick will save you lots of money and work exactly as vengence.

[/quote]

As I m buying a k series processor therefore I will definitely OC so a z87 mobo will be just fine for me.

[quote=", post:9, topic:21160"]

Yes I will definitely overcloack the processor and ;therefore, I will replace the mobo by a gigabyte z87 one and will also replace the ram with 2x4GB kingston ddr3. But still I have a case to decide. Can you recommend a good case in 2-3k? Will a "cooler master gx 650power supply" be good?

[/quote]

I will not recommend cooler master as a PSU choice. Corsair is a lot better in that regard. The money you'll save from not getting Corsair Vengeance will go towards a better quality PSU. Many people underestimate the importance of a good quality PSU. The PSU should be chosen in a way so that it not only has enough power to power up the entire system, but have ample breathing room so as to enable future upgrades go as smoothly as possible. You don't want to end up upgrading your PSU 6 months down the line. If you have the means of getting this PSU from abroad, I'd highly recommend you do so:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/tx-series-tx650-80-plus-bronze-certified-650-watt-high-performance-power-supply

Compared to GS series, the TX is a lot more sturdy and has better quality components built into it. It will last you at least 2-3 generations with peace. It may cost a bit higher, but for such a gaming system, I'd never compromise on a PSU, even if I have to delay the purchase of other components, as it has to be the best in its price/ performance & class as it has to bear the burden of the entire rig. You might be able to find better options online, should you opt to get it from someone abroad. Or if you can find it here, then definitely get it.

Also, instead of getting it later, grab the board right now and delay other components for the time being. The base must be built perfectly the first time you're going to build a new rig. Otherwise it'll bring you lots of headache and reinstallation of windows and such should you stick with your current plan. Divide your plan in 2 parts. First grab:

1. The Processor

2. The Board

3. The PSU

4. The Case

When all these 4 are settled, then you can plan the other components accordingly. These 4, if chosen wisely, won't need a change for a long, long time. Speaking strictly from personal experience.

For case, which one do you need ? Mid-Tower or Full-Tower ? For Mids, I can safely recommend CM 690 III. For full tower though, it will become more costly. Break down your cost for these 4 parts first, then decide accordingly which stuff comes in first after these 4 are done with.

i am using a CM psu from over 6 years..the same one.. started with the 8800GTS and now on the 7870 OC GHZ,. from a C2D to i5 4670.. and this is a very old model..current models are much better with more quality components than they used to add..

alot of other people are also using CM from a long time since it is one of the leading brands of PSU and PC components in the world.

the CM GX series have been rigorously stress tested by johnny and found to pass almost every test even at highest ratings..the silent pro series is dead quite and more high quality components due to upto gold certification.. however for gaming GX is enough.. GX 750 has a very powerful 12V rail capable of almost 80-85 full capacity without any issues.. the new revision of the GX2 series should be even better

Corsair PSU are excellent too.. not as infinitely better as some people over exaggerate..but still good.. problem is they cost 2x more than the competition, and the GS series is an average PSU entry level, and TX series is not made by seasonic in most cases, majority of TX models are Channel well.. so the corsair quality doesnot exist in them.

in corsair the HX series is the only true topnotch PSU, unbeatable. the new Digital AX are as perfect as any PSU can ever become, and they cost almost more than half the price of your whole system,.

[quote=“jDk, post:11, topic:21160”]

I will not recommend cooler master as a PSU choice. Corsair is a lot better in that regard. The money you'll save from not getting Corsair Vengeance will go towards a better quality PSU. Many people underestimate the importance of a good quality PSU. The PSU should be chosen in a way so that it not only has enough power to power up the entire system, but have ample breathing room so as to enable future upgrades go as smoothly as possible. You don't want to end up upgrading your PSU 6 months down the line. If you have the means of getting this PSU from abroad, I'd highly recommend you do so:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/tx-series-tx650-80-plus-bronze-certified-650-watt-high-performance-power-supply

Compared to GS series, the TX is a lot more sturdy and has better quality components built into it. It will last you at least 2-3 generations with peace. It may cost a bit higher, but for such a gaming system, I'd never compromise on a PSU, even if I have to delay the purchase of other components, as it has to be the best in its price/ performance & class as it has to bear the burden of the entire rig. You might be able to find better options online, should you opt to get it from someone abroad. Or if you can find it here, then definitely get it.

Also, instead of getting it later, grab the board right now and delay other components for the time being. The base must be built perfectly the first time you're going to build a new rig. Otherwise it'll bring you lots of headache and reinstallation of windows and such should you stick with your current plan. Divide your plan in 2 parts. First grab:

1. The Processor

2. The Board

3. The PSU

4. The Case

When all these 4 are settled, then you can plan the other components accordingly. These 4, if chosen wisely, won't need a change for a long, long time. Speaking strictly from personal experience.

For case, which one do you need ? Mid-Tower or Full-Tower ? For Mids, I can safely recommend CM 690 III. For full tower though, it will become more costly. Break down your cost for these 4 parts first, then decide accordingly which stuff comes in first after these 4 are done with.

[/quote]

Unfortunately I don't have any person abroad that can buy the PSU or casing and deliver it to me :( . Also the case CM 690III is not currently availiable at any site in pakistan. So I think

that I have to go for a different PSU and Chasis with a slightly low price range. I asked for a gx 650 because I intend to upgrade PSU after six to seven months( or may b earlier than that) :) .

^ An understandable problem, given your limited choices regarding the PSUs. May I suggest something else ?

Take a look at this:

http://www.iamextreme.net/computers/power-supplies/corsair-power-supplies-in-pakistan.html

http://www.iamextreme.net/computers/power-supplies/xigmatek-power-supplies-in-pakistan.html

Hope these help you settle for something better. As for the case:

http://www.iamextreme.net/xigmatek-asgard-xp-casing-with-built-in-xcp-a400-power-supply-in-pakistan.html

http://www.iamextreme.net/computers/casings/thermaltake-casings-in-pakistan.html

Check galaxy's website for CM cases as well, but they too are out of stock of their most popular cases at the moment. The Elite case is very underwhelming compared to the options available in Thermaltake/ Xigmatek.

I still wouldn't recommend CM as PSU choice, regardless of whether it lasts a decade or a century. But ultimately, the choice is yours.

Good Luck.

EDIT: Just for your reference, I'm using Corsair VX550 PSU since 2008. It has seen 3 major CPU upgrades, 4 GPU upgrades, 2 Chassis upgrades, and still going strong with rock stable 12V rails @4Ghz.

I'll share JohnnyGuru review here for this particular unit, since it was quoted here as a defacto standard. You be the judge :)

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=62

What about this case

http://www.saqiscity.com/productdetails.php?id=20298

Which one is better a Corsair VS 650 or a Xigmatake tauro 600. After finalizing all the other components I will use all the extra money for a better PSU;therefore, I firstly want to finalize the chasis.

That website doesn't look very reliable to me. I'd highly recommend getting it from IMX, or Galaxy. As for my recommendation, I'd recommend this case:

http://www.iamextreme.net/xigmatek-asgard-xp-casing-with-built-in-xcp-a400-power-supply-in-pakistan.html#.U485efmSw3k

You can ask them to remove the PSU and deduct the amount from the total cost of the case, that was you'll save some cash which will go towards buying a better PSU.

If you're short on cash, then this thermaltake case isn't bad either, without the PSU it'll cost u even less.

http://www.iamextreme.net/thermaltake-v2-plus-casing-with-350w-power-supply-in-pakistan.html#.U485h_mSw3k

The VS650 [Corsair] has 50 Amps on a single 12V rail, compared to the Xigmatek Tauro 600's 36 Amps on 12V. Take your pic.

Then I think that I should go for a VS 650 and regarding the case I intend to go for a xigmatek chasis if the deduct the PSU. I think that the choice of PSU and chasis is solved to much extent and now I have my final build as follows:

Processor: intel core I5 4670k

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-z87-HD3

RAM: Kingston 8GB ddr3

HDD: WD cavier black 1tb 32mb cache

PSU: Corsair VS 650

Chasis: Xigmatek Asgard XP

As I m building the PC from scratch so will there be any extra component I m going to need (except a keyboard and mouse)?

The WD Caviar Black 1TB is overly expensive. The only advantage of a WD Black drive is in reduced latency time, whereas seagate drives have higher throughputs (higher transfer rates, but higher latencies as well).

For example, I have a WD Black 500GB drive (which I use exclusively for games), and a 1TB Seagate as my mass storage device (on which Windows is also installed). The average access latency time of WD Black is around 12.5ms, whereas on the Seagate, it's 16-17ms. This results in slightly lower loading times on WD Black than Seagate. If you want the best possible speed bump, then go for an SSD, then you will truly feel the speed bump.

Grab a 1TB Seagate for the moment. You could always opt for a quality SSD later on.

I am getting this WD hdd from one of my friends in Rs5000. So if money is the only issue with this hard then I have it solved but if the performance is noticeably different then I think I have to

consider buying a Segatte HDD instead.

If its a SATA3 hard drive, then you shouldn't have any problems. Though I'd advise against buying a used HDD, unless it was very sparingly used, HDDs are more prone to failures due to their mechanical nature.