Broadband in RWP ... WiMax or DSL?

AOA,

I am residing near Kalima Chowk and would like your advice on the matter. As far as I searched, the following offer services there:

1. PTCL

2. MBL (not sure)

3. ?

If I go for DSL I'll have to get a PTCL number first. And one of my friend in the neighborhood had WiMax installed last month and he says it works fine with the Jupitor the Wateen guys installed for him.

I do have another option of CableNet but my past experience with it was terrible, so I ruled that one out.

Wateen's WiMax has a low initial cost (they are offering a three month sign-up with no up-front charges for the connection or the Antenna. It comes to about PKR 3500 or so). DSL has a higher initial cost with MBL costing around PKR 5000 I think and PTCL also costs around PKR 12000 (for a year contract).

So what do you guys say? Any personal experiences?

PS: My apologies if this has been asked before. I tried a forum search and couldn't find anything on the subject.

who says you have to go for yearly contracts?

I thought one has to get a year contract to get the initial costs (modem, installation) waived-off. Isn't it so?

^ no it isnt

and let me put it simple Wateen= Capped

PTcl/MBL = Unlimited

Now it shud be simple to decide

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I thought one has to get a year contract to get the initial costs (modem, installation) waived-off. Isn’t it so?
[/quote]

No No No! not with ptcl because it is free (installation and modem)

mbl has got some installation charges but they are cheaper then wateen

>>jslip

That Capped/Uncapped thing sure got my attention :)

So, its up to MBL vs PTCL then. And while I am at it, MBL offers two DSL-Home packages, which one should I go for if I download primarily from RapidShare? Static or Dynamic IP?

Never mind that please. Found this useful article about the differences between Static IP & Dynamic IP:

http://www.zytrax.com/isp/faqs/static.htm

Says I don't need a Static IP unless i intend to run a server off of my computer. For all other needs, a dynamic IP is ok.

Hey I guess I was right. It says right here that Modem is free only with a one year contract:

http://bncc.ptcl.net.pk/WssWeb/cs/oa/wstep02.jsp?packageId=301&packageName=DSL-512Kbps%20L

I guess that leaves only MBL. Lets hope it has service in my area of residence.

Never mind that please. Found this useful article about the differences between Static IP & Dynamic IP:

http://www.zytrax.com/isp/faqs/static.htm

Says I don’t need a Static IP unless i intend to run a server off of my computer. For all other needs, a dynamic IP is ok.

Hey I guess I was right. It says right here that Modem is free only with a one year contract:

http://bncc.ptcl.net.pk/WssWeb/cs/oa/wstep02.jsp?packageId=301&packageName=DSL-512Kbps%20L

I guess that leaves only MBL. Lets hope it has service in my area of residence.

[/quote]

no yaar it means if you get the connection terminated before 1 year you have to return modem not otherwise

Got it, thanks :)

hey man u dont need to sign any yearly contract for a free modem, its just like saad said if u terminate ur connection before a yr u return the modem otherwise u pay the monthly charges.

One last question please...

Is PTCL Buzz enough a reason to go for PTCL instead of MBL?

One last question please…

Is PTCL Buzz enough a reason to go for PTCL instead of MBL?

[/quote]

No!

MBL support is good anyone would recommend you to go with MBL becuase with MBL even if you phoneline isn’t good you have the customer to fix it, not that ptcl hasnt got any it is a bit slow and you should know where to contact as helpline is useless

Hmmm... ok

Thanks a lot all of you guys :)

AOA,

I am residing near Kalima Chowk and would like your advice on the matter. As far as I searched, the following offer services there:

1. PTCL

2. MBL (not sure)

3. ?

If I go for DSL I’ll have to get a PTCL number first. And one of my friend in the neighborhood had WiMax installed last month and he says it works fine with the Jupitor the Wateen guys installed for him.

I do have another option of CableNet but my past experience with it was terrible, so I ruled that one out.

Wateen’s WiMax has a low initial cost (they are offering a three month sign-up with no up-front charges for the connection or the Antenna. It comes to about PKR 3500 or so). DSL has a higher initial cost with MBL costing around PKR 5000 I think and PTCL also costs around PKR 12000 (for a year contract).

So what do you guys say? Any personal experiences?

PS: My apologies if this has been asked before. I tried a forum search and couldn’t find anything on the subject.

[/quote]

I think ptcl… I am using wateen since last december…And it is expensive and with a data cap…

I don’t think one would prefer wateen over ptcl dsl if it is available … PTCL costs what it costs,it costs(I assume) EXACTLY what it costs… Wateen has so many hidden costs…

You can try ptcl for a month,and at the end of month if you are not satisfied you can return the modem and scrap the contract. It would (I think) not cost you anything more then the one month usage…

Well thanks to your advice I booked an order for a new PTCL connection yesterday. The guy at the helpline gave me 7-10 days for processing.

Once I have the connection, i'm gonna go for MBL :)

Well thanks to your advice I booked an order for a new PTCL connection yesterday. The guy at the helpline gave me 7-10 days for processing.

Once I have the connection, i’m gonna go for MBL :)

[/quote]

Hey;;;

Please dont go for PTCL it s really a fraud and services nothing…i have also conveyed the same many times to my other friends that PTCL service is not quality service.if you really want DSL service/Help line support then go for LinkdotNET .it’s packages are also very economical.

:)

Dear friend who said i am gonna go for ptcl broadband? I intend to go for MBL!

Besides, LDN isn't available in rwp as yet. (correct me if i am wrong)

Dear nabeel go for MBL, I think its the best option for you and you will really enjoy their service.

1) LDN is available in Rawalpindi

2) I used a friend's PTCL DSL recently, and this problem didn't occur before - he got approx 35Kbps download speed... before, it went upto 55. I'm not into the DSL nitty gritty, but it's either PTCL or his wires - and as far as he knows, his wires are fine. I did, however, note that PTCL uses a proxy server to channel all it's requests (and it was better without the proxy... even their dialup was without the forced proxy).

3) Micronet's got a very very good reputation in Rawalpindi and Islamabad. Consider it as a good choice. I'm not sure how Cybernet is here, as I haven't heard anyone using it.

4) People may whine about LDN and what not, but it really depends in the exchange you're living in. My cousin (who has LDN at her college) says it's good. I've used LDN in a bank - and they were surprisingly good! (the ping times seemed to be decent - which was measured in the delay it takes for a page to load up, which is a decent measure).

5) this has been a long post. I'm stopping it here.

My 2 cents: If you have a halfway decent phone line, DSL is the best option. You might have to bribe a lineman to fix/change the line once, but than it should work for years.

If you are a in a bad phone line area, than Wimax is the way to go.