Broadband group eyes five million subscriber base in three years

************************************************************************************

Broadband group eyes five million subscriber base in three years

ISLAMABAD (February 07 2009): The Broadband Stakeholders Group (BSG) in its maiden sitting on Friday set broadband subscriber base of 5 million as its target during the next three years. The group, formed by Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA), also decided that 256 kilobytes per second (kbps) would be the minimum broadband functional definition for the broadband companies.

In continuation to various recommendations discussed during Broadband Open Dialogue session, Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) had formulated a Broadband Stakeholders' Group (BSG). The meeting was presided over by Dr Mohammed Yaseen, Chairman, PTA, and was attended by representatives from the Ministry of Information Technology, Universal Service Fund, Pakistan Software Houses Association, PTA, broadband service providers, cellular mobile operators, telecom vendors and academia.

Dr Mohammed Yaseen highlighted the vision behind establishing the Broadband Stakeholders Group. He said that the primary objective was to improve co-ordination among various industry players, provide them a common platform to share their ideas, and draft recommendations for improving proliferation of broadband services in the country.

The participants appreciated PTA's initiatives for proliferation of broadband services in the country. The BSG members were of the view that such harmonised efforts for escalation of broadband would deliver substantial benefits to both industry as the society. BSG members were briefed on proposed working areas of the group, which included broadband infrastructure, broadband content and applications take-up, broadband policy and regulation framework and rural broadband connectivity.

The participants were also briefed about the structure of BSG along with proposed timeline for key activities of the group. Dr Aamir Matin, Cisco Pakistan Country Manager was chosen as chairman of Broadband Stakeholders Group. It was decided that the BSG members would finalise their recommendations within six months.

************************************************************************************

Source: http://www.brecorder.com/index.php?id=883905&currPageNo=1&query=&search=&term=&supDate=

thats great! but i think the minimum bandwidth to qualify as 'broadband' should be 512k. Also, packages on 4Mbps and 8Mbps be encouraged.

i just saw the internet penetration in Asia on http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats3.htm#asia.

i wonder when can we cross China! :P

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

i think the minimum bandwidth to qualify as ‘broadband’ should be 512k.
[/quote]

256k should be ideal for light internet users who only chk their mail and light surfing etc. Also, 256k would be a much better option economically for these users as well as ppl jumping from dialup to broadband.

^ 256K is not very suitable for video streaming, and these days I would consider that a very common activity even for a light internet user. They should set the standard high and keep 512 Kbps - 1 Mbps as the minimum.

I 'm also strongly in favor of 256kbs availability in dsl lineup, and if they want 5 million subscribers in 3 years then they must drop the prices to match or even little higher then our neighbor countries.

The current price policy to ripoff users will never achieve 1 million in 5 years.

They must also upgrade their infrastructure of phone lines as there are many users can't get dsl (including me) because of poor phone line.

scrap 256, 512.... NO Point! Extremely slow, shouldnt even be considered broadband......

in the U.S. mostly the minimum speed available is 1.5 MBPS.. for 16 dollars which is close to 1200 rupees.. and its impossible for PTCL or any other carrier to support 4 or 8 MBPS.... some places cant even support 1 or get internet at all!

PTCL, MBL, and all of the companies each year double the speed, and keep the tarriff the same! that cool.. Since i went from 1-2 and then now hopefully 2-4 MBPS in the coming months!

5,000,000 keep dreaming, they have a couple 100,000 now and they are happy!

Actually, I think they might reach their goal. Alot of people i know, mainly students are signing up in droves for broadband. The student package deal is probably the best idea PTCL has ever thought of :P

if Pakistan has 17.5 million internet users (http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats3.htm#asia) then 5 million is very achievable goal. PTCL or any other WIMAX provider will have to either offer cheaper monthly packages or volume based packages.

They can also offer 256 Kbps (atleast) on everyone's phone line just as they are offering 200 free hours of dial up each month. This could like boom the penetration to 200%.

They can also offer 256 Kbps (atleast) on everyone’s phone line just as they are offering 200 free hours of dial up each month. This could like boom the penetration to 200%.
[/quote]

Haha… i dont think they will ever do that!

Haha… i dont think they will ever do that!

[/quote]

They can coz i have heard from a friend of mine who worked on something on PTCL’s core network and he said that they are expanding. We already know that PTCL has done a pretty good job since last year so lets hope for more

’]if Pakistan has 17.5 million internet users (http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats3.htm#asia) then 5 million is very achievable goal. PTCL or any other WIMAX provider will have to either offer cheaper monthly packages or volume based packages.
[/quote]

According to the Internet Service Providers Association of Pakistan there are 5 million internet users in Pakistan:

http://www.ispak.com.pk/

I remember reading that there are just 4.5 million fixed phone subscribers in all of Pakistan:

http://www.pta.gov.pk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=649&Itemid=602

http://www.propakistani.com/2008/10/06/wll-industry-outperforming-fixed-line-in-pakistan/

So how can you have 5 million Internet users when the largest broadband provider (PTCL) is pushing DSL on copper phone lines?

On the ISPak website, it says that there are an estimated 5 million internet users... though your point (of < 5 million telephone lines) is logical.

I guess the rest of the subscribers will have access to wimax/wifi/cellular technology... maybe

that information [http://www.ispak.com.pk/] is outdated, it has not changed in last year, maybe more than that. What I wanted to say in my last post was that it is very likely that more than 1/3 of Pakistan's internet users will use broadband.

In 5 years, most phone line issues will be resolved (most people will use Fiber Optic). Prices are already decreasing sharply (you can get Broadband for as low as Rs. 500/month, in 5 years this might reduce to Rs.100 or less, if you consider inflation). by that time, it would be cheaper to have broadband (DSL, WiMax, etc) compared to Dial-Up. Anyone who uses internet regularly will definitely have broadband, there will be many Wireless broadband options available (Wateen, PTCL, Wi-Tribe,WorldCall, etc).

Internet users in Pakistan(2008) 17,500,000

Source : www.internetworldstats.com

’]that information [http://www.ispak.com.pk/] is outdated, it has not changed in last year, maybe more than that. What I wanted to say in my last post was that it is very likely that more than 1/3 of Pakistan’s internet users will use broadband.

In 5 years, most phone line issues will be resolved (most people will use Fiber Optic). Prices are already decreasing sharply (you can get Broadband for as low as Rs. 500/month, in 5 years this might reduce to Rs.100 or less, if you consider inflation). by that time, it would be cheaper to have broadband (DSL, WiMax, etc) compared to Dial-Up. Anyone who uses internet regularly will definitely have broadband, there will be many Wireless broadband options available (Wateen, PTCL, Wi-Tribe,WorldCall, etc).

[/quote]

I would rather believe an authority on the subject like ISPAK than some random website on the net. ISPAK used to report the number as 2 mill back when internetworldstats said we had 12 mill users. So ISPAK does update its figures.

I don’t understand how anyone can justify believing internetworldstats.com which is a random website with no reputation compared to the Internet Service Providers Association of Pakistan (www.ispak.com.pk) . Who else but those in the business of providing internet access in Pakistan would know how many users there are?

256k should be ideal for light internet users who only chk their mail and light surfing etc. Also, 256k would be a much better option economically for these users as well as ppl jumping from dialup to broadband.

[/quote]

NOp…

Well if ur talking about 1 clickers/only mail checkers… I think they should stick to dial up (or they should be banned for using the internet :D) and let the “REAL” internet users enjoy/avail the “should be” criteria of internet as per rest of the world.

I mean c’mon its 2009 … and we still talking about /256k even when PTCL, LDN are not offering them?

IF YOU WANT TO AIM, AIM FOR THE HIGHEST POSSIBLE…

NOp…

Well if ur talking about 1 clickers/only mail checkers… I think they should stick to dial up (or they should be banned for using the internet :D) and let the “REAL” internet users enjoy/avail the “should be” criteria of internet as per rest of the world.

I mean c’mon its 2009 … and we still talking about /256k even when PTCL, LDN are not offering them?

IF YOU WANT TO AIM, AIM FOR THE HIGHEST POSSIBLE…

[/quote]

We are not billionaires here, already have 50+ billion dollars dept on us. Let us take small steps rather such big steps that can make us even more poor.

We are not billionaires here, already have 50+ billion dollars dept on us. Let us take small steps rather such big steps that can make us even more poor.

[/quote]

Yes i know we are not that… but its been over 60 years and we are taking small steps for past 60 years…and we are standing STILL…

still being called as third world country… when we have examples of small island country called japan which is developed country despite being destroyed by A bomb in ~1945. we got Independence in 1947.

Look at chine… we cry over 160 million ppl, they have over 1.5 billion ppl just look at them.

Its just me… and my useless thinking :)

256kbps is ideal for students and also for browsing web, forums, mailing and study etc.

There is no need to go for higher speed unless...

If you are a torrent hog.

These two concepts (Movies and Games) just changed the whole meaning of internet.