Bomb blast in Marriott Hotel (Islamabad)

Just got it off Express News. Senseless waste of human lives. :(

I heard the windows and doors vibrate because of the blast, and thought at that time that this is not good. Didn't see the news though. Senseless, purposeless and insulting to humanity of course. Marriot management should have done more for the security.

But how on earth did he get inside in the first place (If the blast was inside).I think nowadays they even check the luggage, in case he got prepared inside the hotel. And if it was outside, then how did the rooms caught fire? (Around 8 in one row, then another on top floor)

^ seems to me like an inside job

^ Ok lets get real. If someone wants to sneak a bomb into a hotel, its really not that hard. Its impossible to maintain complete check on everything going into and out of a building, especially a hotel where so many people are moving around all the time. Marriott is not to blame at all.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

^ Ok lets get real. If someone wants to sneak a bomb into a hotel, its really not that hard. Its impossible to maintain complete check on everything going into and out of a building, especially a hotel where so many people are moving around all the time. Marriot is not to blame at all.
[/quote]

If the truck that contained the bomb (explosives) went inside the building, then it definitely didn’t just sneak into the hotel. Security guards must have seen it unless they were all drunk.

Though it would be premature to accuse anyone at this point, my guess is that it were Taliban (la) again.

In any case, it’s a sad sad incident. My heart goes out to those affected in any way by this senseless act of barbarism. :(

BBC is reporting that the bomb happened outside where they check for security and stuff. And it was a car bomb. I still don't get how the rooms caught fire. And how does it seem like an inside job to you ruhaan?

According to media reports, gas pipes broke leading to fire in rooms

Whats happening to this country,its so sad..these official craps should resign without looking back for a single moment.

the main thing is you really cant stop a suicide bomber…and now news channels are reporting that more than 500kgs of explosives were placed inside the shezore truck used for bombing…

I really don’t think this is an inside job…if we look at the situation, we are in a state of civil war in NWFP and the Tehrik-I-Taliban (TTP) had already claimed it would bomb main pakistani cities…its most definitely the Taliban and their sympathizers who are responsible for this act.

Pakistan was never a financially affluent nation, but at least security was something we never had major problems with…never before has our country seen such sad times…lets all pray that things get better.

[/quote]

actually they are saying now that more than 1000KG was used and what are you talking about Pakistan security is crap and thats why there have been many suicidal attacks for the last year or so…Major attack in Lahore, Wah (about a month ago), then there was blast at Danish Embassy, attack in swat and there was series in blast at Karachi are just some examples of sh***y pakistani security.

A post from PDF member Hawk_Eye on the building itself:

Source: http://pakistanidefenceforum.com//index.php?s=&showtopic=78272&view=findpost&p=1086199

A bit of information about this building:

The Marriott hotel has layered security starting with what we call external environment (Stand Off Distance) this is the minimum distance required to provide protection from blast damage such as BBIED (Person Bomber) and VBIED (Car Bomber), the secondary is what we call security centred engineering (these include barriers and anti ram drums) the third is inspection and detection and these include, physical and visual vehicular searching systems conducted by both Security Personnel, undercarriage inspection systems complemented with Explosive Detection Dogs (these were deployed at Marriott)

Should the primary (outer) cordon fail the building has been engineered to withstand moderate blast damage with outer layered sacrificial walls and Blast Proof Laminate on all windows.

The third and final layer is active interior person search and luggage search matching that found at international airports, the building's fire fighting system was built to include passive and active fire fighting systems.

As reports suggest that there is a crater at the entrance 30Ft Deep and 50Ft Wide at the entrance near the Evacuee Trust Complex, GEO TV reports that a truck loaded with explosives approached the gate, at which point it was approached by security officials and the blast occurred.

Whilst we cannot determine the exact type of explosive used or the exact quantity without having to swab and test for type of explosive used then run what we call (test craters) these help determine the exact size of explosive used and form part of the Post Blast Investigation, however we do use a simple guide to help us estimate the possible size of explosive used, this is accomplished by using a standoff distance calculation chart we can estimate the amount of potential explosive abroad the vehicle and the expected minimum safe distance in order to survive such an incident.

I just want to make it clear that you cannot un-educated guesses about the size of explosive used based on the vehicle, according to the BATFE (Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives) a standard water-moving truck or large moving van can carry an estimated payload of up to 30,000 pounds of explosive.

Given the estimated size of explosive the chart recommends that the minimum building evacuation distance for such a threat should be 378Meters or 1240Feet, clearly the stand-off distance from front to main entrance at the Marriott is an estimated 20 Ft, in such a case the result would be lethal.

Such a sad not just with regards to the economic repercussions but also the heart wrenching loss of life, terrible despicable act in the month of Ramadan at the time of Iftar after Magrib prayers…

My prayers are with the dead, injured and their families.

[/quote]

Poor people Allah bless dem and our country

These acts will continue until the root causes are solved.

Yes, and root causes are Tehreek-e-Talibaan and USA.

i always think these boths have inside connections, from where they are getting money to prepare suicide bombers ?

I noticed that, this F*****G Tehreek-e-Talibaan never targeted any policy maker they are targeting innocent ppls only.

Inna illahi wa inna illahi rajeon.

the ones who lost their lives, may Allah forgive their sins and place them in jannah. And those who are injured, InshAllah they will recover soon. Ameen.

Just a suggestion to everyone, stop watchin those darn news channels. We'l gain nothing from it rather just getting depressed. What we can do best is pray for the ones who are killed and for the safety of everyone else.

Just a suggestion to everyone, stop watchin those darn news channels. We’l gain nothing from it rather just getting depressed. What we can do best is pray for the ones who are killed and for the safety of everyone else.

[/quote]

We can’t just close our eyes and hope it all goes away.

May the souls of the victims find peace and and may those responsible for this act be punished in full.In this world and the next.

خدا کی لعنت ہے معصوم لوگوں کو مارنے والوں پر۔

اگر ان میں سے کوئی مجھے مل جائے تو اسے صرف چنڈیں مار مار کے مار دوں ۔

I wonder if another US attempt fro an excuse to attack Pakistan? O maybe to convince our Govt to allow such attacks?

I wonder???

why don't they kill americans in afghanistan. who are the targets of these pseudo islamist extremists?

I wanna know is how the hell these guys get their explosive materials in the first place! I dont think you can just go to a general store and buy 1k kg's of explosives :\