BOL feedback device

I opened the box there is one evo device connected with the main board and one Bluetooth receiving and one infrared receiver connected to the main board the BT is connected through usb and device is getting power from power adopter also its connected with the TV OUT port of the tv through tv-in at at device.

nauman

What the hell is going on?? :unsure: Where do you live i mean city? and at how many homes they put these devices? Clearly they wanna see what channel specially News you are watching most but Never seen or even heard this type of data gathering tactic ever before. :blink:

From rawalpindi

nauman

[quote=“MNaumanakram, post:11, topic:21939”]

I opened the box there is one evo device connected with the main board and one Bluetooth receiving and one infrared receiver connected to the main board the BT is connected through usb and device is getting power from power adopter also its connected with the TV OUT port of the tv through tv-in at at device. nauman

[/quote]

Please provide external/internal pics. Close-up pics of the circuitry and internal devices would also help.

[quote="ShuAK, post:12, topic:21939"]

What the hell is going on?? :unsure:  Where do you live i mean city? and at how many homes they put these devices? Clearly they wanna see what channel specially News you are watching most but Never seen or even heard this type of data gathering tactic ever before. :blink:

[/quote]  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_meter

^^^^^hmmmmm i should've googled it :P but thanx for sharing it anyway.

So its actually an ancient device but what we have here is a modern hi-tech version of that device which is communicating wirelessly. Nauman plz share some pics of that device.

[quote=“ShuAK, post:16, topic:21939”]

^^^^^hmmmmm i should’ve googled it :P but thanx for sharing it anyway.

So its actually an ancient device but what we have here is a modern hi-tech version of that device which is communicating wirelessly. Nauman plz share some pics of that device.

[/quote]
Yes today will try to share pics

Actually in pakistan ratings are control by only one company, so many people put allegations that they produce false rating reports and promoting programs they want people to see.

Bol is trying gather their own data for ratings so they know what exactly people are trying to watch.

Who knows that the data will not be shared with or used to get wrong benefits

nauman

At best such a device can be used to collect statistics about the channels you watch. In Pakistan there are much bigger privacy holes so this isn't that much of a deal.

But If you are really concerned about it consider calling your cable operator (its on their property) to inquire about the device and ask them to remove it. If you are the more adventurous type consider a little night time vandalism ;p

[quote=“hashmi1, post:20, topic:21939”]

At best such a device can be used to collect statistics about the channels you watch. In Pakistan there are much bigger privacy holes so this isn’t that much of a deal.

But If you are really concerned about it consider calling your cable operator (its on their property) to inquire about the device and ask them to remove it. If you are the more adventurous type consider a little night time vandalism ;p

[/quote]
How?

[quote=“MNaumanakram, post:21, topic:21939”]

How?

[/quote]

Vandalism? Pull out the evo stick or power adaptor and throw it away ... better to first call your cable provider and ask them to remove the device.

[quote=“hashmi1, post:22, topic:21939”]

Vandalism? Pull out the evo stick or power adaptor and throw it away ... better to first call your cable provider and ask them to remove the device.

[/quote]

calling the cable wala first will raise suspicion and point finger only your way. get a hammer and turn the su#ker into pieces.

[quote=“hashmi1, post:20, topic:21939”]

In Pakistan there are much bigger privacy holes so this isn't that much of a deal.

[/quote]

so you mean to start doing everything bad and illegal because it is not a big deal in pakistan......... so fu#kin perfect.

[quote=“MrKamran, post:24, topic:21939”]

so you mean to start doing everything bad and illegal because it is not a big deal in pakistan......... so fu#kin perfect.

[/quote]

I meant there are worse exploits so tv statistics don't deserve to be compared. In a country where phonecalls are taped, your ip traffic monitored, your NADRA database sold out ,heck even your files targeted by stuxnet-level spyware, TV viewership statistics isn't the thing to worry about.

The device is definitely wrong, but not necessarily illegal, at least not in Pakistan. Our lawmakers have 'better' things to do, funds to eat, protocols to enjoy , talkshows to fight in etc. etc. But all that aside, if the device was on my line I would definitely have fried it.

One of BOL Rep contacted me regarding installation of BOL device as I was selected through random balloting or sth like that. But he is unable to install on SONY Bravia LCD thats very much strange, as per his finding your LCD lacks TV INPUT/OUTPUT. How come its possible! any how I contacted their support but they are of the view that they are right now installing devices @ Multan so they will come back once they finish installing BOl devices in Punjab.

BOL launched this project just to know the taste of TV viewer regarding at what time a TV viewer watch what kind of programs. its nothing 2 do with any security issue or privacy. in return they will give you Insurance of worth 1 Million and #BOLWala Member through that your are entitled to participate in BOL Functions and much more.

BOL is pure pakistani channel with pure pakistani investment neither its foreign funded nor its establishment maintained. BOL is funded by #AXACT which is pakistan leading IT company. BOL claims that they will be No.1 News Channel the night BOL will be launched. They will invest 2Billion Rs only on BOL promotion. Due to BOL, news channels are now increasing employee salaries, now they are more active on digital side, social media. before that i never see any active participation of Tv channels on digital side.

You can watch the VID of Chairman & CEO Axact & BOL which will clear your questions

http://www.axact.com/

http://www.bolnetwork.com/

[quote=“bashi, post:26, topic:21939”]

One of BOL Rep contacted me regarding installation of BOL device as I was selected through random balloting or sth like that. But he is unable to install on SONY Bravia LCD thats very much strange, as per his finding your LCD lacks TV INPUT/OUTPUT. How come its possible! any how I contacted their support but they are of the view that they are right now installing devices @ Multan so they will come back once they finish installing BOl devices in Punjab.

BOL launched this project just to know the taste of TV viewer regarding at what time a TV viewer watch what kind of programs. its nothing 2 do with any security issue or privacy. in return they will give you Insurance of worth 1 Million and #BOLWala Member through that your are entitled to participate in BOL Functions and much more.

BOL is pure pakistani channel with pure pakistani investment neither its foreign funded nor its establishment maintained. BOL is funded by #AXACT which is pakistan leading IT company. BOL claims that they will be No.1 News Channel the night BOL will be launched. They will invest 2Billion Rs only on BOL promotion. Due to BOL, news channels are now increasing employee salaries, now they are more active on digital side, social media. before that i never see any active participation of Tv channels on digital side.

You can watch the VID of Chairman & CEO Axact & BOL which will clear your questions

http://www.axact.com/

http://www.bolnetwork.com/

[/quote]

Seriously dude? I mean yea sure its not a privacy issue at all when some corporation knows which channels you watch, and BOL people are all pure Pakistani angels with clean non-suud infected money. And they just want to offer Jobs and Life Insurance to the deprived people and the channel is just an excuse to do just that. I mean seriously how will I be able to live with myself if I don't get their oh-so-coveted #BOLMembership which will entitle me to scratch my ... whatever.

[quote=“hashmi1, post:27, topic:21939”]

Seriously dude? I mean yea sure its not a privacy issue at all when some corporation knows which channels you watch, and BOL people are all pure Pakistani angels with clean non-suud infected money. And they just want to offer Jobs and Life Insurance to the deprived people and the channel is just an excuse to do just that. I mean seriously how will I be able to live with myself if I don't get their oh-so-coveted #BOLMembership which will entitle me to scratch my ... whatever.

[/quote]

Choice is yours they are not forcing you. infact they ist ask you are you willing to install BOL device if some one agreed then they tell him/her the benefits. Rest what they says They will be No1 News channel the night of their launch (quite achievable) . They are developing their own systems which they claim that equal to or far better than Fox/CNN. This is the proud moment for us as a Pakistani when we are developing our own systems

Yar, at the end of the day its all Marketing b-#$%#. Ofcourse no one can object to that since earning money is a fundamental right .. but what irks me is the Pakistani business mindset where they project everything as a "favour" for their customers, even if its plain pocketing of money.

AOA bashi bhai!
Did you got anything in return as i have also been shortlisted by BOL for their installation of feedback device. Please tell so i can proceed further.