Boiling sound from battery with Homage UPS 1 KVA

Aoa all,

I recently installed a Homage 1 KVA UPS with a brand new Volta battery.

Even when the charging light on the UPS is OFF, I can hear boiling sound from the battery. The battery is not getting hot or even warm, it is just at the normal temperature. The battery is not loosing fluid. But the boiling sound is still coming.

The UPS technician says that till the time the battery does not get hot, this is normal. I would request some one to give technical advice on it. Is this behavior really normal? or should I do something about it?

Thanks in advance.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Even when the charging light on the UPS is OFF, I can hear boiling sound from the battery. The battery is not getting hot or even warm, it is just at the normal temperature. The battery is not loosing fluid. But the boiling sound is still coming.
[/quote]

Technically, its called bubbling. Hydrogen gas is being produced by the decomposition of Sulphuric Acid.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
The UPS technician says that till the time the battery does not get hot, this is normal. I would request some one to give technical advice on it. Is this behavior really normal? or should I do something about it?
[/quote]

Be careful around bubbling batteries, the gas is hydrogen and it will explode if you make a spark or open flame. There should NOT be a lot of bubbling. That is a symptom of too much voltage on the cell during charging or too rapid a discharge. The electrolytic solution is being broken down into gas and that is NOT supposed to happen. It is NOT a normal part of the charge/discharge cycle.

I would suggest you to get your UPS charging Voltage and Current be checked. Charging voltage should range from 13.5-14.8 and charging current should not exceed 10A (for a 70-100AH battery). If these values are in normal range, you have got a defective battery.

Open all plastic caps on the battery, wear safety glasses and look into the cells, Do you see bubbles in all cells ? If yes, your UPS probabily has problem with charging circuit and needs repair/replacement, if bubbles are in some cells (not all) then battery is a problem.

--

^ Can you please explain how it is normal?

@Ijaz Ahmed

Thank you very much for the great advice. I took the UPS to Homage service center. They checked the UPS thoroughly and did not find any problem in the UPS.

They say that the battery has a problem. Although my battery is brand new, I will take it to the service center in a few days.

I will let you know the results.

--

There should be no bubbling in an ideal battery. But since ideal battery does not exist, so a small bubbling is always acceptable. That's the reason why plastic caps on each cell have a small hole for hydrogen to escape.

But bubbling should not rise to the extent of boiling sound, that shows tooo much bubbling is occuring.

I assume that OP is naming excessive bubbling as boiling sound.

Let's wait the feedback and result from OP.

First I took the UPS to Homage service center. They did some checking and said there is no problem in the UPS, and you should check the battery. I checked the UPS with two brand new batteries, and the boiling sound was still there. This indicated that UPS was not cutting off the current to the battery.

I learnt that for Homage UPS, even when the UPS shows that charging has been cut off, actually the charging is still going on, and it takes quite some time to completely stop charging. But, my UPS was not stopping the charging at all, and even after many hours, the boiling sound in battery could be heard.

So, I took the UPS back to homage service center. They have said that they will adjust the cutoff limit of the UPS so that it cuts off the charging at a lower voltage than before.

Let see what are the results when I bring the UPS back.

--