Beware of PTCL fiber optic broadband scam

Beware of PTCL fiber optic broadband scam PTCL's fiber optic is not same for everyone

If you are planing to order PTCL broadband along with fiber optic landline and you donot live in some posh area then read this carefully you might save some bucks This is what I learnt in hard way after losing 4500 Rupees

Around 2 years ago PTCL installed fiber optic cabinet in our area My friend who lives at few doors next to me was one of first few customers who ordered it, at that time he also had to pay Rs.1000 as bribery to line-man as it was believed the number of connections are very limited .

At many occasions I personally witnessed the flawless operation of this connection at my friends house,Since I was using my company provided EVO and it was free I was happily using it but three months ago I changed my employer and I had to order Internet connection ,based on my experience with my friend I choose PTCL broadband over fiber optic

Around two months ago I ordered PTCL broadband internet connection (1mb unlimited) along with fiber optic phone line I contacted lineman along with same friend and he said I have to pay 1200 to him (as bribery) I fixed the deal in 1000 which I gave him at once (another mistake) it took 15 days and numerous follow-ups to get my phone line

After I got my phone line and internet connection I was shocked to see the speed was not as good as I witnessed at my friends home ,I was facing frequent disconnections and slow speed while at the same time my friend who live just few doors next to me had no such problems I got suspicious that probably my number is not on fiber optic circuit I double checked with 1218 and asked lineman to show my pair at fiber optic cabinet but apparently nothing was wrong I called DSL guy and he confirmed me there is nothing wrong with modem either and this is normal behaviour but I took him to my friends house and showed him that connections performance he agreed their is significant difference but failed to give me any good explanation what is wrong with my connection

Finally a lineman of another area told me the reason i.e my friend is using internet over pure fiber optic and my landline is "fiber through copper" , Confused??? let me explain
when PTCL first installed fiber optic cabinet in my area they erected one pole and provided only ten pairs (pure fiber because pole is directly connected to fiber Cabinet/DP) then rather erecting more poles they saved money and connected fiber optic cabinet to old copper cabinets through underground copper cable which I tried to explain through diagram

Now look at the fig.B my friends distance from fiber optic cabinet is roughly 300 meters whereas my distance from fiber optic cabinet becomes more than 1500 meters along with 3 to 4 loose joints at old copper cabinets Therefore my internet connection can never match the performance of my friends connection

Bottom line if you are going to order so called lightening fast fiber optic landline then first check and double check the cable route If it is directly connected to fiber optic cabinet only then order broadband otherwise look for other ISP's

Double check following things

1-If you are directly connected to Fiber Cabinet then you are lucky one

2-If you are connected to Fiber Cabinet through old copper DP's then you are in danger zone,
3-If distance between fiber Cabinet & Old copper DP is not too much then you might expect some results however even then your connection performance will never match to what I described in point 1

Ideal Scenario [For Limited Lucky users]

Fiber Optic Cabinet/DP/MSAG
SP_A1838.jpg

My scenario [For Majority of the Un-Lucky Users]

Hmm , I dont think they have installed any direct fiber dp ,all are interconnected through old copper.. fiber is just layed till the MSAG(ONU) from the Msag the copper crap starts.. whats the big deal for just one fibre dp and that too for 10 customers..who are those 10 lucky customers.

[quote=“koder, post:2, topic:21186”]

Hmm , I dont think they have installed any direct fiber dp ,all are interconnected through old copper.. fiber is just layed till the MSAG(ONU) from the Msag the copper crap starts.. whats the big deal for just one fibre dp and that too for 10 customers..who are those 10 lucky customers.

[/quote]

Probably those initial 10 lucky customers serves as free advertisement for PTCL , This is how I got trapped :mellow:

Let me confirm if we do have that fiber dp installed over here

The interesting thing is that initially, when they rolled out

ONU, when you asked to be shifted from copper to fiber

they would give you a new landline number.

However, of late, when I shifted my telephone number, I

retained my old number. Just to be sure, I called up 1236

and asked if I was on copper. They said no, that I was on

fiber at this time. Could that be the tell-tale sign ?. If you

don't get a new no. then you are in the hybrid domain.

Btw, after being shifted to "fiber", I still had lousy bband.

So after dozens of complaints, auto/operator/written, we

arrived at a muk-muka with PTCL. They put a separate

line from cabinet to our house and these are the results:

line_stats_june_07_2014.png

Sheikh 'Lineman Ko SALAM! SALAAM! SALAAAM!' Chilli

Stats are absolutely stunning.. youre on 4Mbps and Snr is 38 ,it will decrease to late 20's if you opt for 8Mbps.. attenuation seems perfect ,perhaps ONU box is installed in your room kekee..

MY number was also changed when they shifted my line to ONU but the OP is correct they dont give you pure fibre dp connection,its interlinked with copper Dp and then your premises .. fiber is just laid till ONU box after that copper rules the Dp... Btw there are tons of dps connected to the Msag.. "ptcl aur kharcha hazam nai hota mje"

[quote=“koder, post:6, topic:21186”]

Stats are absolutely stunning.. youre on 4Mbps and Snr is 38 ,it will decrease to late 20's if you opt for 8Mbps.. attenuation seems perfect ,perhaps ONU box is installed in your room kekee..

MY number was also changed when they shifted my line to ONU but the OP is correct they dont give you pure fibre dp connection,its interlinked with copper Dp and then your premises .. fiber is just laid till ONU box after that copper rules the Dp... Btw there are tons of dps connected to the Msag.. "ptcl aur kharcha hazam nai hota mje"

[/quote]

We understand that last mile is always copper but PTCL has changed it now "Last Many miles with tons of joints is on copper"

At my end ...fiber is till gate of my colony where cabnet is installed n from thr its copper i think...distance from my colony gate to my home is around 200 meter...n using 4 mb bb with 4mb for smart tv...all runs perfect simultaneously...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

[quote=“masters, post:8, topic:21186”]

At my end ...fiber is till gate of my colony where cabnet is installed n from thr its copper i think...distance from my colony gate to my home is around 200 meter...n using 4 mb bb with 4mb for smart tv...all runs perfect simultaneously... Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

[/quote]

In lineman's terminology you are using "Pure FIber" congrats .....

Khurram4m there are many poles which are connected,it will be a huge investment for them to lay fiber from the cabinet to these poles or dp's.. khurram did they provided you new series number?

OP, you had me at "Beware of PTCL. :)

Any interaction with monopolies such as PTCL paralyzes me into indecision. I don't even know if I should call 1218 to report a problem, such is my fear of dealing with these people. And the people in Pakistani advertisments are always so much whiter of skin than the actual PTCL robbers.

I've been having major timeout problems for the past 2 weeks and was without a DSL connection for over 24 hours. I take it as a reasonable cost of living in a utopian Islamic state. I mean if they had had internet service in the seventh through eleventh centuries, this is what they'd have. I feel so much closer to Allah.

[quote=“koder, post:10, topic:21186”]

Khurram4m there are many poles which are connected,it will be a huge investment for them to lay fiber from the cabinet to these poles or dp's.. khurram did they provided you new series number?

[/quote]

As I already described I ordered new phone line therefore I had fiber number from start, I don't care what PTCL can afford or not I'm concerned with what was promised and what you actually received , If they tag new service as Fiber optic then everyone should get what they call "pure fiber" ,but its not the case Just like EVO scam they offer a new attractive limited time promotion and once promotion period is over they downgrade data limit , These scum bags are biggest lyres ever ,

I will post some pics shortly the situation of poor & rough pair connection in old copper cabinets/DP(Sorry I'm not aware of technical notations for this PTCL shiiiit) this will help users to get an idea What difference it makes when they interconnect fiber DP to old copper DP

When they were installing ONU box at the end of my street i saw 3 4linemen working on with the old copper cabinet,they were interlinking the old copper wires..the number theory doesnt make sense because i have been allotted a new number but the thing which makes it fishy was that interlinking process.. but am not sure if they have installed the pure fiber pole of ten connection if its placed there then man i will sue their stinky a*** .. my downstream is set on 7 Mbps for smarttv and 4Mbps net.. speed is fine but i face disconnections..the fault could be in the wire from dp to home but lemme first check the 10 lucky users pole.

[quote=“koder, post:14, topic:21186”]

[/quote]

Oh no you probably have misunderstood I didn't mean they connected first pole (with 10 connections) using fiber optic cable , This first pole probably have connected through copper wire to DP but it is a dirrect connection, On the other hand the distance between Fiber DP and old Copper DP in my area is approximately 750 meters now you double this distance which becomes 1500 meters (from fiber dp to copper 750meters and then back to my premises 750 meters) along with many loose joint and old decades old underground cable rout

whereas in case of first pole (pure fiber case)which is directly connected to fiber DP the distance is even less than 300 meters and no joints that makes the difference

You check for it I'm sure that lucky gold pole is there :)

I think it's relevant so I will share it here with yall.

When I was trying to get my landline shifted from

copper to fiber, I went around from office to office

and during that whole process, I learned that the

ONU cabinet near our jhuggi is all filled-up. There

is no more room to add us. What to do ?. Well the

guy in-charge told his underlings that they should

apply for requisition of an "Expansion Card".

It took more than a month of wait and finally the

PTCL engineers (not linemen) arrives at the cabinet

and worked part of day and into the night (10PM)

to install whatever it was. This was preceded by a

lot of digging, laying of new pipes up to the cabinet

and so forth. Finally, we were shifted.

So, even though the cabinets might have arrived

with a limited (10 ?) capacity, there is indeed ability

and room for 'expansion', if there is a will and suff-

icient 'motivation' behind it.

Sheikh 'Zara Num Ho Tou Yea Mitti...' Chilli

Oh man o man.. the ONU box is roughly 250 meters away from my home and the dp is 70 meters away.. eh.I think am safe then .

Yes i think there is a space for 400 numbers in there ONU expansion slot.. i was the very first user to get it.. :D

Khurram please share your modem stats over here..the attenuation will explain the whole scenerio

[quote=“sheikh_chilli, post:16, topic:21186”]

I think it's relevant so I will share it here with yall.

When I was trying to get my landline shifted from

copper to fiber, I went around from office to office

and during that whole process, I learned that the

ONU cabinet near our jhuggi is all filled-up. There

is no more room to add us. What to do ?. Well the

guy in-charge told his underlings that they should

apply for requisition of an "Expansion Card".

It took more than a month of wait and finally the

PTCL engineers (not linemen) arrives at the cabinet

and worked part of day and into the night (10PM)

to install whatever it was. This was preceded by a

lot of digging, laying of new pipes up to the cabinet

and so forth. Finally, we were shifted.

So, even though the cabinets might have arrived

with a limited (10 ?) capacity, there is indeed ability

and room for 'expansion', if there is a will and suff-

icient 'motivation' behind it.

Sheikh 'Zara Num Ho Tou Yea Mitti...' Chilli

[/quote]

No I think FIber DP in my area already have expansion slot installed but what they actually saved are new poles & cabling associated with it

[quote=“koder, post:17, topic:21186”]

Oh man o man.. the ONU box is roughly 250 meters away from my home and the dp is 70 meters away.. eh.I think am safe then .

[/quote]

yeah you might be in safe zone but joints in old copper DP and old underground wiring still keeps you one step behind those "Pure/direct fiber" connection