Best way to buy a 2nd hand laptop in a range of 25k-30k

Hello,

I bought a 2nd hand DELL Latitude D820 for 27k. All things were fine except that it had a problem it would shut down automatically after 2h of usage or if someone distrubed the charging pin when plugged in. I had 7 days of warranty but I left for Karachi and couldn't send it back when the problem was discovered. Anyhow sold it with a minor loss and now looking for another laptop with same price range.

What way would you people suggest to buy it in Islamabad/Pindi. From any individual or shops ? Also should I consider switching to HP instead of DELL ? I see the features of both brands in this range are more or less same with Core 2 Duo processor, a shared 3d card, 80GB HDD etc.

Regards

I would prefer to buy from some individual preferably in my social circle.

Something similar happened with me when I bought my first laptop from a shop. It was Sony Vaio. I bought it in summer and a strange problem started appearing in winter. The backlight of LCD wouldn't turn on while the laptop was cold. I had to put it for a minute or two in front of a heater and then the backlight started working again.

For around 33K, new C2D were available in Metro Store, I just visited few days back.

[quote=", post:2, topic:15534"]

I would prefer to buy from some individual preferably in my social circle.

Something similar happened with me when I bought my first laptop from a shop. It was Sony Vaio. I bought it in summer and a strange problem started appearing in winter. The backlight of LCD wouldn’t turn on while the laptop was cold. I had to put it for a minute or two in front of a heater and then the backlight started working again.

For around 33K, new C2D were available in Metro Store, I just visited few days back.

[/quote]

Can you please list some basic specs of that?

I suggest you check out www.olx.com.pk. Its the most popular website for selling stuff on the internet at the moment. I bought my IBM Thinkpad from there from a guy and its working fine. The benefit of dealing with an individual is that they are mostly guys who are selling to upgrade and sell you at good price. They don't intend to make any profit out of it.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I suggest you check out www.olx.com.pk. Its the most popular website for selling stuff on the internet at the moment. I bought my IBM Thinkpad from there from a guy and its working fine. The benefit of dealing with an individual is that they are mostly guys who are selling to upgrade and sell you at good price. They don’t intend to make any profit out of it.
[/quote]

I think most of them intend to make profit. olx is now full of shop keepers & peoples doing side business of selling and buying mobile phones and laptops etc. I myself did business in olx and earned money but it was time consuming plus I want to earn online.

But still, I have bought many mobiles through OLX and apart from few others worked fine.

[quote=“EngineBlock, post:3, topic:15534”]

Can you please list some basic specs of that?

[/quote]

Probably it was HP 540 with 2GB RAM and 160GB HDD, screen I don’t remember. I would suggest you pay a visit to Metro store, If I get a chance for next visir, i will note down exact specs.

[quote=", post:6, topic:15534"]

Probably it was HP 540 with 2GB RAM and 160GB HDD, screen I don’t remember. I would suggest you pay a visit to Metro store, If I get a chance for next visir, i will note down exact specs.

[/quote]

Sure will pay a visit to Metro. Hopefully it’s not a netbook

[quote=“EngineBlock, post:7, topic:15534”]

Sure will pay a visit to Metro. Hopefully it’s not a netbook

[/quote]

Surely it was not a netbook.

Ok BTW do you suggest buying a new Acer laptop ? It seems HP and Dell are overpriced for their features :/

Here in Karachi new laptops in warranty are available from 30 k to 35 k. I suggest you increase your budget a little bit from 27 to a little above 30 k and buy one of these.

They are mostly dual core (lenovo/ibm etc) with 2 or 3 gb ram and 250 gb hard disk.

The best thing is they are new and under warranty.

here is one of the shops website which is selling them, (by the way karachi is full of these shops selling brand new cheap laptops)

http://www.czone.com.pk/html/products_new.htm

Thanks for the suggestion. Now that's an issue :| Can't go to Karachi neither have anyone to buy it for me

[quote=“EngineBlock, post:9, topic:15534”]

Ok BTW do you suggest buying a new Acer laptop ? It seems HP and Dell are overpriced for their features :confused:

[/quote]

Actually Acer laptops are better, also they have better build quality, HP and Dell (Naam chalta hai bas)!

[quote=", post:12, topic:15534"]

Actually Acer laptops are better, also they have better build quality, HP and Dell (Naam chalta hai bas)!

[/quote]

I had the same feeling. HP might be good enough but DELL is not as good as people think. Many friends of mine who bought brand new DELL laptops had issues at one time or another.

When I talked to an Indian friend in UK, he also said to me that people here prefer Lenovo, Acer etc. HP and DELL aren’t as popular

[quote=", post:2, topic:15534"]

[/quote][quote=", post:6, topic:15534"]

[/quote]

I visited Metro store again just to confirm which model I mentioned. Here are few of the available models

Compaq CPQ 420 Rs. 33,135

Intel Core 2 Duo T6570 2.1 GHz

2GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HDD 5400 RPM

14.1" LED Display

2MP Webcam

Card Reader

Wifi

DVD RW

Acer Aspire 5742Z Rs. 39,900

Intel Core 2 Duo P6200

2GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD 5400 RPM

15.6" LED Display

Wifi

DVD RW

Acer Aspire 5733Z Rs. 38,800

Intel Core i3 2.4GHz

15.6" LED Display

Wifi

DVD RW

Numeric Keypad

Dear also visit galaxy.pk for second hand laptops and its prices

[quote=", post:14, topic:15534"]

I visited Metro store again just to confirm which model I mentioned. Here are few of the available models

Compaq CPQ 420 Rs. 33,135

Intel Core 2 Duo T6570 2.1 GHz

14.1" LED Display

2MP Webcam

Card Reader

Wifi

DVD RW

Acer Aspire 5742Z Rs. 39,900

Intel Core 2 Duo P6200

2GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD 5400 RPM

15.6" LED Display

Wifi

DVD RW

Acer Aspire 5733Z Rs. 38,800

Intel Core i3 2.4GHz

15.6" LED Display

Wifi

DVD RW

Numeric Keypad

[/quote]

Thanks. I visited Metro 2 days back and then only Acer Aspire 5742 was present. All other DELL and HP laptops were missing and the models you mentioned weren’t on display as well. However, just got flyer from Metro yesterday and they list Acer Aspire 5733 as the top product being sold right now.

However, I guess I’ll have to revert to my Dell Latitude D820 which has gone for repairs and might get fixed :confused: