Best network for EDGE?

I'm looking to get an unlimited EDGE package, will probably go over to post paid. I'm currently on Mobilink and the EDGE speed tests (in Lahore) show speeds anywhere between 30kbps - 50kbps (kilobits per second). Seems a little slow to me, does anyone know if EDGE on any other network would be faster? I've heard Warid Edge is pretty fast, is that true? My phone has Class 10 Edge.

I had posted this somewhere, I have both Telenor and Mobilink postpaid edge, and the Telenor one is about a million times better.

I'm in rural Sindh right now, near Shikarpur, using telenor edge (through my cellphone to laptop):

980993448.png

Telenor also works better in Karachi as well, to the extent that I'm now going to switch over to them and drop the mobilink one altogether, as I use more internet than phone calls now.

For Mobilnk results, divide the above by about 5-10 depending on the area, and in many places in Sindh it just doesn't work either. So while empirically Mobilnk is only 5-10 times slower most times, it feels a million times slower. And no, I can't post a Mobilink result even though my other phone is also a modem and active cause the edge network is too slow.

I asked a couple of telco networking guys why such a difference, cause both networks are gsm edge, and the answer was that mobilink has older equipment and their backend internet links have issues, which they don't particularly care about. I assume the other newer Edge networks could be decent as well...

Some advice: Don't bother buying their 4000Rs usb stick, you can buy a chinese version for a few hundred which is the same. If you're tech savvy enough, don't bother buying a usb altogether and just buy a used nokia, update the firmware and use that as a bluetooth or usb modem. Your existing phone will probably do anyways...

That way you get a much smarter "usb stick", complete with it's own computer and long battery life. You don't even need to install the bloatware piece of crap which is Nokia Ovi suite, just set it up as a generic bluetooth modem. Windows 7 or Ubuntu or Mac just work with one click.

Reasons not to use USB: Millions of people use nokia phones (and others) as modems so the better companies have really sorted out the modem part of their phones. All the usb sticks here have crap drivers which a chinese guy pirated from somewhere and badly ported to his companies usb stick which they never developed in the first place and hence don't even know how it really works. Thus you get crappy speeds which isn't really the telco's fault.

Unlimited, bah! What the heck will you do with a unlimited edge connection? You can sit on it all month and use up hardly a gb or two, and thats if it works well. If you're on mobilnk, which has a unlimited edge for 500Rs, it will be a great acheivement just to hit 100mb in a month. Whichever company you go with, with a edge connection don't even bother looking at the limit becuase its a nonsensical marketing number. Forget about torrents on edge, your usb stick will overheat and melt anyways, and even the nokia phone won't last much longer.

But what about all those corporate blackberry customers so happily using *random* edge: Firstly, they don't know internet speeds even if it came and smacked them on the head, and here I include all the upper levels of all the telco companies I've ever talked to, let alone the other corporate types who use them. The way blackberry works isn't really real time - updates and email slowly wind their way through priority channels to the actual phone, so the user never knows how slowly the damn thing is actually working. Blackberry users don't ever manage to figure out how to use the internet on their phones anyways so they are in no position to judge - it's a bit like asking a caveman about which car to buy.

Latency is more important than speed, on EDGE The latency on edge networks varies tremondously, from as low as 300-400ms to 4000-5000ms. Forget about bandwidth, since it's all low, look at latency. Sadly, hardly anyone in the telco's understands latency so take a nice cartoon diagram of what latency is to explain it in case you need to talk to them. Now if you have a dsl connection which is primarily used for downloading stuff, than bandwidth trumps latency.

Just to not badmouth the Pakistani telco ppl: There are six guys which worked here that understand networking which I know of. Five of them of course got cushy jobs in the western world where technical knowledge is an asset. The sixth I dunno where he is...

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I had posted this somewhere, I have both Telenor and Mobilink postpaid edge, and the Telenor one is about a million times better.
[/quote]

I favour statement Mobilink’s Postpaid(I believe also prepaid) Edge is not more than a crap. I guess it would be lesser than any other networks. But I’ve been using it since a couple of years. Mobilink’s Edge coverage is very very limited.

I’ve used Telenor’s GPRS/EDGE also but not much practically, you can say it for testing purposes. I was impressed.

Following is the speed from Mobilink Postpaid.

Location: Gulberg III, Lahore. I rarely got Edge Signal here. But I am surprised that I am seeing an “E” on the phone for some days. I think they’ve managed to cover the area well in 3 years.

981200471.png

So we concluded that Telenor gives 0.2 in rural and Mobilink gives 0.08 in posh areas…

well it seems 50kbps on my Mobilink is a bit slow compared to those Telenor results. In one test ping was 54 ms and in the next it was 1000ms, so there is huge variation. I don't want it for usb, I already have dsl. I just want it so my phone can constantly sync with emails, facebook/twitter, news, weather etc, for downloading apps and using gps with google maps. I always get an E so coverage doesn't seem like an issue, the speed is slow though. Also Edge on prepaid is insanely expensive so a monthly connection is what I'm after, just don't wanna get locked in with the wrong company. I guess a 2gb cap would be enough for me.

all other nations goes to moon and we are still talking about edge and gprs thats really sad why not they launching 3G networks so peoples surf reliable and fast internet anywhere in country?

Even now every mobile comes with 3g it means 3g is very comman thing in out side pakistan

our companies must ashamed because even in Bangladesh all companies providing 3g signals with high speed internet

You're absolutely right, but there is nothing we can do. 3G needs a large investment in infrastructure and the local networks don't see any potential in our market. Even crappy EDGE costs 15 rupees per MB right now which is a disgrace. In the UK I first experienced 3G and video calling in 2004. It is now 2010, our neighbours India are getting 3G next month and we are still stuck in the dark ages.

Even crappy EDGE costs 15 rupees per MB right now which is a disgrace
[/quote]

In small cities and rural areas there is no EDGE but only GPRS which costs 15 rupees per MB. EDGE is available in big cities and a few other places only.

This is the correct situation of Pakistan. 3G or 4G probably will never arrive Pakistan.

I have used EDGE in different areas of Sindh and Balochistan(where available)..... but at QUETTA its best...

@KO

http://wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=178770#p178770

wow right to the point, very informative as always, this reminded me your Worldcall performance article back in the days.

what about zong edge.....i prefer prepaid ?

For this, which connection of Telenor

Post Pay or Prepaid?

[/quote]

Post paid, I have it right now at Rs 500+ tax for 2gb. Haven’t paid the first bill yet so I don’t know how much the tax is. Speed is pretty decent when browsing, but while the Telenor sales rep claimed a speed of 30-50 kb/s and I’ve seen people on forums claim 20-30kb/s, speedtest app has never shown me more than 14kb/s. The good thing is it’s constant, stays the same speed everywhere and most of the time.

I've never seen 50.... but 32, yes - late at night. 15 - 20 is the average.

(why am I repeating myself?!)

what about zong edge…i prefer prepaid ?
[/quote]

zong postpaid edge is giving me 5.1 kbps, lolz. Its crap. Prepaid was much better

Every thing you need for mobile

help4mobile.blogspot.com

Ummm... sorry to be re-activating an old thread but just wanted to say one thing...

I don't know about the speeds and stuff (never calculated them) but I am using Telenor EDGE in Swat via an HTC Touch Cruise (on my laptop too) and I have managed to get a 1.24GB in about six days!

[quote=“rizla, post:, topic:”]

I’m looking to get an unlimited EDGE package, will probably go over to post paid. I’m currently on Mobilink and the EDGE speed tests (in Lahore) show speeds anywhere between 30kbps - 50kbps (kilobits per second). Seems a little slow to me, does anyone know if EDGE on any other network would be faster? I’ve heard Warid Edge is pretty fast, is that true? My phone has Class 10 Edge.

[/quote]

regarding edge the best telecom company is Telenor. Telenor has the largest data network in pakistan, means to say that they have enabled edge on their each sight while no other company has edge enabled even in all big cities. but on the other hand telenor is only good in edge. voice clarity is worse now a days.

Well i would be saying its Ufone....