Best Laptop model in terms of battery life?

Planning to buy a laptop. Can anyone suggest a good model specially in terms of battery life. I am personally interested in Dell but not sure about its battery life. So plz suggest.

You may want to have a look at Acer Timeline models. These are being marketed as having 8+ hours battery time.

http://www.shophive.com/shophive/Aspire-Timeline-5810TZ-413G32Mn-p-7662.pakistan.html

http://www.shophive.com/shophive/Acer-TravelMate-Timeline-8471T-733G25Mn-p-6691.pakistan.html

Badar if you are not concerned with screen size, then many models of 10 inch netbooks will give you a battery life upto 9 hours. And they are pretty cheap as well. Somewhere in the range of 25-35k.

@rnathbatra....thanks for ur suggestion. Can u recommend any particular brand or model of netbooks available in market?

@rnathbatra,

Normally the bigger screen size, lower is the battery life. For continuous usage, netbook is not recommended. Try getting a 14.1 or 15.5" max. Mostly laptops comes with 6 cell 3500 mah battery. There are batteries available in 4500 mah, 5800 mah, 7800 mah, the higher the better. Also if you can get a 9-cell battery if will almost double the backup time.

If budget isn't a problem, Apple Macbooks have the longest battery life. You can get at least 8 hours with wifi on, although Apple claim 10.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

If budget isn’t a problem, Apple Macbooks have the longest battery life. You can get at least 8 hours with wifi on, although Apple claim 10.
[/quote]

The problem I’ve found with the Apple Macbook laptops is that they become very hot. Occasionally they’ll expand so much the actual battery will warp. The battery on my 17 inch Macbook Pro expanded so much it disabled the trackpad. This is quite a hazard. I wish Apple would fix this problem because my Apple battery really does last a lot longer than my Dell laptop batteries!

yeah they do, but dell gets pretty hot too, not much you can do! never heard of a battery expanding, maybe it's just a problem with the Pros?

It does seem to be a problem with the larger Macbooks.

Guys,

I have made up my mind about what sort of specs do i need in a laptop. It should have at least

- Core 2 Duo Processor

- 2 GB RAM

- 250 GB Hard Disk

- 15 inch screen

- And like i said earlier good battery life and overall good performance means it should not heat up too early.

I guess i can get these specs in good price like up to 50k. I am not sure about which brand and model should i go. Can anyone suggest?

MACBOOK AIR 13 inch (oct 20 2010)

1.84 mhz core 2 duo , 2 gig ram, 1440x900 display

1300 dollars , officially dual bootable mac os x and windows 7/ win xp

all flash 128 gig ssd , instant on

battery 7 hours, 30 days stand by

^^ I am certain thats the best laptop u can get until today. however 11inch one is more handy.

^^ I am certain thats the best laptop u can get until today. however 11inch one is more handy.
[/quote]

i agree but 11 inch gives only 5 hours of battery time with 30 hours standby

to date from battery point of view something running full size cpu core 2 duo , only macbook air is the one no other have beaten this record

Nowdays netbooks may satisfied you, the mini,ultra thin cost less battery life, you may also search like "8 hour battery laptop". personally i like the acer aspire series.

Apple hates netbooks = I hate netbooks = We must not buy netbooks

@rnathbatra…thanks for ur suggestion. Can u recommend any particular brand or model of netbooks available in market?
[/quote]

Np. Check this. Its a bit smaller screen at 13.3 with a Intel 1.3 Ghz Core 2 Duo processor (not bad for everyday use):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JZC42A?ie=UTF8&tag=laptops6-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003JZC42A

The specifications say that it has ASUS IceCool Technology which means it does not get much hot and the palm rest is cool to touch. And it has a rated battery time of up to 12 hours! Although I am not sure if this is available in Pakistan or not. Oh btw. It doesnt have a CD / DVD drive. But its super slim and very stylish.

Apple hates netbooks = I hate netbooks = We must not buy netbooks
[/quote]

ditto

500x_steve-jobs-on-netbooks2.jpg

And it has a rated battery time of up to 12 hours!
[/quote]

your exclamation mark at the end is funny, as a netbook user for last two years i can tell you with experience cheap crap is cheap carp, what ever they rate the battery at but in real life usage if the battery gives half performance time would be miracle, problem with cheap crap is in first two months of brand new battery usage it would have hard time holding the charge what netbook manufacturer has stated, i am someone who has gone through 2 netbooks by asus one died on me and another one is in use by me presently.

“CHEAP S-HIT” at the end is always “CHEAP S-HIT”

ditto

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/10/500x_steve-jobs-on-netbooks2.jpg

your exclamation mark at the end is funny, as a netbook user for last two years i can tell you with experience cheap crap is cheap carp, what ever they rate the battery at but in real life usage if the battery gives half performance time would be miracle, problem with cheap crap is in first two months of brand new battery usage it would have hard time holding the charge what netbook manufacturer has stated, i am someone who has gone through 2 netbooks by asus one died on me and another one is in use by me presently.

“CHEAP S-HIT” at the end is always “CHEAP S-HIT”

[/quote]

Did you even consider going at the link i mentioned? Its not a netbook, its a notebook. Just happens to have a ULV processor in order to have stronger battery life and less heat generation. I have read many reviews of this notebook and the average time people are getting from this notebook is 10 hours 50 minutes. And FYI its not cheap. Badar mentioned he was willing to pay Rs. 50,000 and this notebook is currently selling for $ 579 which translates to roughly Rs. 50,000. So it is “not” cheap.

Btw. Steve Jobs is one big fat lier. First they introduce iPad saying netbooks are not “needed”, are “useless” and basically “cheap” laptops. Then after some months they introduce their own netbook (11.6 inches one).

@rnathbatra,

Normally the bigger screen size, lower is the battery life. For continuous usage, netbook is not recommended. Try getting a 14.1 or 15.5" max. Mostly laptops comes with 6 cell 3500 mah battery. There are batteries available in 4500 mah, 5800 mah, 7800 mah, the higher the better. Also if you can get a 9-cell battery if will almost double the backup time.

[/quote]

That is not always true. Look at Apple’s latest Macbook Air models:

13.3 inch - 7 hours

11.6 inch - 5 hours (due to the smaller size, there is a smaller battery)

The real “power draw” depends mostly on the processor, the graphic card and wireless. Displays dont draw that much power and specially LED display are so much power efficient . For example there would be little difference between a 14 inch model and 10 inch model if both employ Core 2 Duo processor and other specs remaining the same. However with an Atom processor or a ULV processor the power draw is much lower. Ofcourse there is a trade off between power consumption and performance which i am not denying and a 10 inch notebook would not be suitable for serious spreadsheets and word processing work.

Check these two pages and you’ll get the idea.

Core 2 Duo

http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyID=22731&MarketSegment=MBL

Atom Processor

http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyID=29035&MarketSegment=MBL

I think the smaller size is also related to the space available for the battery.. not just the screen.

All i know is that netbooks do not have a full feature OS like windows or mac. However notebooks do have that.