Best GPS Cellphone?

AoA,

What is best cell phone to buy if I want to use GPS in Lahore Pakistan ? HTC or IPhone or another ?

And I dont want to rely on GPRS or EDGE while using GPS ( can I use GPS without using GPRS or EDGE ??? )

Thanks

yeah u can use GPS without GPRS...

try 5800... n78 also has GPS too

GPS doesn't need any GPRS they are two different tech for diff purposes

well while having a phone with GPS

u dont need GPRS/EDGE/WiFi for following

---------to see your position in longitude and altitude,

---------you can use "Trip Distance"/ "Sports tracker,

for these your Phone will directly communicate with satellite only.

However if u want to see your position on the satellite map/picture u would need GPRS, your phone after getting position will send co-ordinates to your phones sever and which will send further information to your phone to locate your position on satellite picture.

Well i am using Nokia E75 ... GPS works super for me....

in lahore, i can use it to measure trip distance i.e while jogging turn ths app on and it will tell your speed, time and distance covered.

"My position" (nokia's ovi soft.) is the real fun of GPS. it finds using GPS the using GPRS/ Wifi it sends info to server and shows where i am (both in text form as well as on map).... like while standing on M. M. Alam road i used ths app and it showed that on phone, u would however need GPRS for this.

also for Maps, (google/nokia built in)... u would need GPRS....

It seems "My position" doesn't use GPS what it use is location detection using your mobile tower.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

It seems “My position” doesn’t use GPS what it use is location detection using your mobile tower.
[/quote]

that is called A-GPS (assisted GPS), it is just to do the process speedily, my phone’s booklet says tht…

I did knew that but since I have not in touch with GPS anymore so didn't remembered the correct name. A-GPS need proper "system" to operate successfully see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

Son Nokia E75 you can use google maps ... I have also heard there is datelite version of google maps too , that doesn't require GPRS.

so how accurate it GPS is with Nokia/Google maps in Lahore ?

Can you use it real time to locate a place/address in Lahore/Punjab ?

And any one has personal experience of HTC phone GPS device ?

Thanks for your inputs.

no it cant.. u cant see ur position on map i.e satellite picture without GPRS.....

about accuracy--- positioning system is pretty awesome, My postion also works very accurately...

trip distance however is not so accurate esp. for small distance, however for 1-2KM it is almost accurate.... but if u are recording distance like 20-30 meters then u will be disappointed coz of its accuracy can very in between 10-15 meters...

You can use GPS if you have one to locate your position without GPRS as GPS rely on time lag difference between signals for minimum of 2 sat of GPS network. It doesn't require any signal other than from it's own satellites.

A true GPS phone just work as your regular GPS device. For more you may check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_navigation_device it also has some pictures.

For tracking check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_tracking

For Mobile you also need to check spec for Time to first fix

So I guess there needs a clarification.

and it'll be a bit easy for me to clarify because you guys already know that GPS and GPRS are two different things. Yes! that's true.

- Ovi Maps operates on downloaded form of Map Data. Map data on the phone is synced with IN-PC Ovi Suite or Nokia Map Loader directly using your PC's internet. And Ovi Map data relies on 100s of MBs. you need a high volume Memory Card to keep more Map Data in it. Unfortunately Ovi Maps do not include Pakistani Maps in street details.

So in Ovi Maps you do not need an active GPRS/WiFi Connection to show your position on the Ovi Maps if the Map Data is available for the area you are currently in.

- Google Maps however needs an active GPRS/WiFi connection to show the live Map Data from Google Maps on your Phone, it's good if your phone saves the Map Data in cache and do not download it all the time.

But GPS device in your phone acts independently. it Locates your current position, calculate distances, speeds, etc. but it does not show the actual Map. It does tell that where you are on the earth in the form of coordinates (Lang-Lat) but to point those coordinates and to show them in User Friendly form, you need a Software like Ovi Maps (which has downloaded form of Map Data and no need to go Live, no need to have GPRS) or like Google Maps (which needs an active GPRS/WiFi connection to download Map Data while using the application). both of these softwares then uses the GPS data to show your position on the Map Data, or to navigate you on the Go using the both GPS and Map Data simultaneously.

So there needs to be Three Different things on your Phone to give you fully featured Navigational System.

1- Map Data

2- GPS

3- An application software that uses above two features.

And the My Location feature that also works with your Network Cell ID if the phone doesn't have GPS device installed on it or it is disabled. in this case your Estimated position is located on the Maps using your Network Cell Id in terms of range. for example you are said to be with in a several hundreds or thousands meters range.

Edit. and I also just saw above that you guys are talking about the accuracy of your location. well that also depends on both of the features the Map Data and the GPS Connection.

1-how accurate your Map Data is? the most possible reason of inaccuracy of your location. that is actually not the fault of your GPS device and your location is normally good on the Phone but the Map Data is not rendered accurately which makes you think that you are not having accurate position.

2- GPS connection also gets more accuracy as long as you are open to sky, and it decreases efficiency when you are covered with more layers but not as much as by the first reason.

Well answered, I think this explains enough for not geeky person.

If somebody is geeky enough they can only rely on GPS without any map. They may log their data , then use plot it in mapping software on a computer, or else the data on it's itself is enough.

You may also use your GPS tracking informations for geotagging http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geotagging your photos.

For more examples see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocoded_photograph

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-geotagging

For the famous Geocaching game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching

and I also just saw above that you guys are talking about the accuracy of your location. well that also depends on both of the features the Map Data and the GPS Connection.

1-how accurate your Map Data is? the most possible reason of inaccuracy of your location. that is actually not the fault of your GPS device and your location is normally good on the Phone but the Map Data is not rendered accurately which makes you think that you are not having accurate position.

2- GPS connection also gets more accuracy as long as you are open to sky, and it decreases efficiency when you are covered with more layers but not as much as by the first reason.

[/quote]

believe me the accuracy of GPS is usually like within 5 meters radius or even less… i have tried it…

even though the GPS data may show that the acuracy is like 30m radius but still the pin pointing is awesome…

if i take only two steps then the GPS data shows change in my LOCATION that i m moving towards that DIRECTION in which i took the steps…

point 1 is also right…

welll about point 2… the accuracy depends that how many satellites you are connected to… once i was connected to 8 seven satellites at once and the GPS was showing my location accuracy as 5m…

normally you are connected to 3,4or5 sattelites

normally its like 20-30m

i didnt mean point 2 is wrong … i just wanted to add to it… you are also right…

i have imate ultimate 8502.... its with GPS (not AGPS). Using Garmin Mobile XT

Ive use it on a boating trip with no mobile towers and it also works on a plane. Works pretty good even with GSM off.

@ShoukaT

All's true but may be I can answer your 5 meter difference issue (even if it's not an issue to you.)

Could you answer the following please :)

Which maps application did you use, Google Maps? Ovi Maps? or Garmin Mobile XT?

- AFAIK, Ovi Maps doesn't have any of the city in detail maps of Pakistan. you just can see connected roads (a simple LINE to me actually) from one city to another which is also not according to the imagery. so I say NO to Ovi Maps to check Accuracy.

- Secondly the Google Maps. If i see your location that is probably Gujranwala, right? I can say that the inaccuracy of 5 meters you noticed is still because of the Map Data on Google Maps. Imagery might be a variable in a very very very bit distances from one satellite to another one. every time when Google Updates the imagery on the Google Maps there is possibility that the Imagery gets miss aligned from the Map Data on it and after the Imagery Update the Map Data manually or automatically is used to be aligned later with the Imagery.

and the Imagery of Gujranwala district on the Google Maps is as older as 2nd October, 2007. and the Map Data there is obviously according to that Imagery. and I can say it that 5 meter difference is because of that issue.

and believe me that the very latest imagery update on Google Maps in Pakistan was on September 20, 2009 and along with other cities and areas it included the area from Shahdara, Lahore(on East) to Civil Lines, Sheikhupura (on West) covering the Sheikhupura Motorway Interchange (on North) and from South I can't exactly say about that. Also the Map Data on Google Maps has been updated according to the new Imagery (which is not yet Live on Google Maps) but you can see that using this link Preview. If you Zoom In to the area then you will notice some difference within older and the newer Map Data while zooming in. Instead Zoom in to Sheikhupura to to notice the change clearly you will see a slightly moving preview layer on the older imagery.

and I have used it on iPhone and E72 in that area. both tells the accurate position of mine without even a 5 meter difference.

- Garmin Mobile XT, frankly I didn't have that tested on my Own. but I have a set of good reviews about them their Map Data is pretty good.

However the accuracy ofcourse depends on both the Map Data and the GPS connection. and ofcourse with our eyes we can not estimate the GPS accuracy without the help of Map Data.

Also please let me know if you use Google Maps, then did you use the GPRS for Maps to print? or you just watch out the GPS values?

Cheers..

i have imate ultimate 8502… its with GPS (not AGPS). Using Garmin Mobile XT

Ive use it on a boating trip with no mobile towers and it also works on a plane. Works pretty good even with GSM off.

[/quote]

If it is not an Assisted GPS then you can not use your Cellular Data Link even if you have GSM on. AGPS is termed for the enhanced technology of GPS that is actually assisted by your Cellular Data or GSM Link

and ofcourse no doubt that even with GPS (not AGPS) you can get good response directly from the satellite as long as you are open to them. and ofcourse you have had boating trip outside any where :P

jokes apart :)

^

yar i said the 5 meter thingi to not make it look like an exaggeration

in actual one day i on my way back from college i took several landmarks on my phone and when i reached home i used those values in google earth and in all of them the exact pin point location of me was shown...so i believe its pretty accurate....

i ll change my statement to 1m radius accuracy :P

Yes it's accurate for our normal use. Until Galileo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_(satellite_navigation) comes online we could stick with this accuracy.

i have used garmin mobile xt on n82

and downloaded Lahore maps from http://pkmaps.freeforums.org this site and it shows all the pretty details i want to know and the best thing without the use of GPRS..

And here comes another camera with GPS support http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10010701sonyhx5w380s2100tx7.asp you see they are expanding it