BayTaar: Free WiFi Metropolitan Internet Coming soon to Karachi

Green White Reports about www.baytaar.com

http://greenwhite.org/2008/04/15/baytaarcom-free-metropolitan-wifi-finally-comes-to-karachi/

Should have been some more information on their site, but I like the idea. It'll be interesting to see who coughs up the dough to actually implement this though. Rs.300,000/mo for 100 locations.

I like your idea of sponsoring just one hotspot for a lower price though, presuming you are the same Abdul Sami who proposed this on Green White.

Maybe CDGK?

I remain unconvinced that such a service would contribute in a significant way to broadband penetration. In another 1-2 yrs, competition will drive down prices of DSL/WiMAX to be easily within the reach of the common man (much like the cell phone industry). The problem is that computer hardware is expensive, and where you see gardeners and roadside barbers and servents chatting away on their cell phones, it'll be hard for wide spread computer usage to be adopted, since its more expensive, has a higher learning curve, and arguably requires a higher level of 'education' to use it.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I remain unconvinced that such a service would contribute in a significant way to broadband penetration. In another 1-2 yrs, competition will drive down prices of DSL/WiMAX to be easily within the reach of the common man (much like the cell phone industry). The problem is that computer hardware is expensive, and where you see gardeners and roadside barbers and servents chatting away on their cell phones, it’ll be hard for wide spread computer usage to be adopted, since its more expensive, has a higher learning curve, and arguably requires a higher level of ‘education’ to use it.
[/quote]

True…and in Pakistan i think it’s very hard to maintain it.

@wzub

yes its me :)

There is more to it than just internet. This project is a brainchild of Rehan Allahwala from SuperTec Inc. USA. SuperTec is a leading VoIP service provider.

If you own a advanced E-Series Nokia or Higher N-Series model you are already having a WiFi equipped gadget with built-in SIP Stack. Absence of WiFi is killing this device resources, utilizing which you can virtually zero your Telecom expenses.

This setup has the potential to drag GSM Operators on their Knees if it succeeds.

Idea is good but I don't think any body will use it in parks or public places due to theft. Look at our country situation especially Karachi where thieves doesn't spare a Rs.1000 mobile phone and you are talking about a laptop here.

How many of you will go to let's say Hill Park or Aziz Bhatti Park or Safari Park with your laptop?

But in a closed environment yes this will work.

Idea is good but I don’t think any body will use it in parks or public places due to theft. Look at our country situation especially Karachi where thieves doesn’t spare a Rs.1000 mobile phone and you are talking about a laptop here.

How many of you will go to let’s say Hill Park or Aziz Bhatti Park or Safari Park with your laptop?

But in a closed environment yes this will work.

[/quote]

Agreed, but more and more mobiles are coming up with WiFi interface they will benefit from it.

and you can also use even in office with laptop or wifi enable mobile. No worry to check email or use msn or yahoo on laptop just use mobile. I think it is good idea but very few users have wifi enable mobile set.

Agreed, but more and more mobiles are coming up with WiFi interface they will benefit from it.

[/quote]

That makes more sense every time I read it. Who would want to do their browsing out on the street? Are we even ready for this yet?

Majority of the coffee houses / cafes here in Karachi have free wifi hot spots anyway, which are one of the places where it makes sense to use a laptop in the first place when outdoors. The fact that these wifi hot spots are free here in this city is something interesting on its own. In the states for example, in a starbucks, you have to pay to use their wifi hotspot.

Something similar was started by Netzero, where they provided free dial-up access, but you had to use their own dialer, which would throw ads on the screen, and there was no way to minimize or close that particular window.

This concept doesn't seem that attractive to me, the only thing these guys maybe banking on is the advertisement money. I see no sense it from a consumer point of view.

No one i can say would be in such desperate need of free internet access, that the only place to use it for free would be a park or a public place like that.

Majority of the coffee houses / cafes here in Karachi have free wifi hot spots anyway, which are one of the places where it makes sense to use a laptop in the first place when outdoors. The fact that these wifi hot spots are free here in this city is something interesting on its own.
[/quote]

Nothing seems interesting after you pay more than 300 Rs for a single cup of coffee.

Nothing seems interesting after you pay more than 300 Rs for a single cup of coffee.

[/quote]

Be that as it may, im talking about the fact that internet is free, while you pay $3.50 for a mocha frapp at Starbucks, the internet is still not free out there.

[/quote]

:lol: …which isn’t that amazing in the first place!

300Rs is 4.7USD - Starbacks is cheaper! There are many other coffee shops with cheaper coffee with free wifi in the US.

Hmmm.... tell you what, KO, buy an air ticket and go to the USA. I'm sure your ROI won't be recovered for a long, long time...

;)

Even if wimax or wifi enabled phones become cheaper the point of the matter is that ppl on the lower end of the spectrum are not educated ..

even some of my servants come to me to read any msg they recieve on their phone ,if they cant read msg's how will they browse the net.

And another thing is that what does the internet offer them , even most of us are just doing time pass on the internet rather than doing something productive or useful.

There are endless applications available on Internet besides chatting, email and useless surfing. Few examples that can be used by less educated class: VoIP Calls, Video Calls

For others it all depends on them how they utilize it, audio streaming, video streaming, online radios, podcasts, webconferences etc etc sky is the limit. Come out of the Browsing and chatting shell please

There are endless applications available on Internet besides chatting, email and useless surfing. Few examples that can be used by less educated class: VoIP Calls, Video Calls

For others it all depends on them how they utilize it, audio streaming, video streaming, online radios, podcasts, webconferences etc etc sky is the limit. Come out of the Browsing and chatting shell please

[/quote]

All of this still doesnt make sense to be implemented in a park. No one would be video conferencing with a sun above their heads.

If Baytaar can provide such services in residential / work areas, that would make a lot more sense, for the company, the users, and the advertisers as well.

then there will be a new type of crime in karachi that is stealing laptops from the burger people in the park

All of this still doesnt make sense to be implemented in a park. No one would be video conferencing with a sun above their heads.

If Baytaar can provide such services in residential / work areas, that would make a lot more sense, for the company, the users, and the advertisers as well.

[/quote]

I think i miss this. I was assuming they would be providing all over karachi. Where it is mentioned that it will be available in public places only?