Battery Model # vs Battery capacity

Hello,

this thing is going on in my mind for weeks that why shopkeeper tells you the capacity of the battery asthe model number which is written on the battery. Like AGS model number is GX-200. they tell you its capacity is 200ah. but when you ask how many plates, they say 27. by this the capacity should be 165ah.

why they lie??

AGS dealer network http://www.atlasbattery.com.pk/dealers/index.php

There is no datasheet available.

How did you calculated that a 27 plate battery is 165AH ?

http://www.exide.com.pk/Products/Automotive/Range/specifications_of_Exide_Automotive_Batteries.pdf

N200 = 200AH @ 20Hr

Where can I find these Exide batteries in Pakistan http://www.exide.com/us/en/product-solutions/network-power/technologies-network/flooded-network.aspx

no.of plates does not indicate capacity instead the capacity depends on plate construction, build terminology, battery dimensions and volume of acid as per dimensions of the battery. no on the battery given by manufacturer is as per standard manufacturing practice and is accurate with respective of thier practices.

Find an imported forklift repair company/Garage and they would sell these to you but they dont come cheap. You can even try calling some company that sells forklifts as they may probabbly sell spares aswell.

Just out of interest, what would you do with a GNB flooded? These are not very cost effective for domestic usage. For home power back up (if that is whats on your mind) an Exide inva tubular battrey is the best option. Thet do a 200Ah battrey as well which would cost you Rs35-40K depending on the model you choose (There are two I think in 200Ah range)

If you know what you are doing and this isint for domestic use then try for GNB flooded Platinum range if you can get them there is nothing like that.

I hope this helps.

[quote=", post:5, topic:21328"]

Find an imported forklift repair company/Garage and they would sell these to you but they dont come cheap. You can even try calling some company that sells forklifts as they may probabbly sell spares aswell.

Just out of interest, what would you do with a GNB flooded? These are not very cost effective for domestic usage. For home power back up (if that is whats on your mind) an Exide inva tubular battrey is the best option. Thet do a 200Ah battrey as well which would cost you Rs35-40K depending on the model you choose (There are two I think in 200Ah range)

If you know what you are doing and this isint for domestic use then try for GNB flooded Platinum range if you can get them there is nothing like that.

I hope this helps.

[/quote]

20year life + ability to check the condition of plates and water level I think they are worth it if they don't cost too much.

You are right but the problem is the amount of money you spend on them is not worth it. An exide inva tubular will give you 2000-2200 cycles and that means your battries could last a good 10-12 years. Paying three times the price for twice the performance kills the financial aspect in my opinion. I would personally spend less and have the battries replaced after 12 years. Just keep the battries happy by topping up with distlilled water and keep checking the Ph and you can make them last for even 15 years. Exide inva tubular I am talking about. Other brands arent that good build quality.

[quote=", post:7, topic:21328"]

You are right but the problem is the amount of money you spend on them is not worth it. An exide inva tubular will give you 2000-2200 cycles and that means your battries could last a good 10-12 years. Paying three times the price for twice the performance kills the financial aspect in my opinion. I would personally spend less and have the battries replaced after 12 years. Just keep the battries happy by topping up with distlilled water and keep checking the Ph and you can make them last for even 15 years. Exide inva tubular I am talking about. Other brands arent that good build quality.

[/quote]

how much the tubular one cost in Pakistan ? With level of loadshedding I don't think they can last for 10-12 years.

There are different types of Inva tubular battries. the 200Ah one will cost around 30000-32000 depending upon where you buy it from. There are two models in 200Ah and the other one will cost a bit more. I cant remember what the name of the model is.

These will cost a bit but they work out much cheaper in the long run. Just dont let them deep discharge and to prevent that you should get a good quality inverter that has deep discharge protection.

That is Exide I am talking about. There are other companies which sell inva tubulars too but none of them is as good as Exide.

[quote=", post:9, topic:21328"]

There are different types of Inva tubular battries. the 200Ah one will cost around 30000-32000 depending upon where you buy it from. There are two models in 200Ah and the other one will cost a bit more. I cant remember what the name of the model is.

These will cost a bit but they work out much cheaper in the long run. Just dont let them deep discharge and to prevent that you should get a good quality inverter that has deep discharge protection.

That is Exide I am talking about. There are other companies which sell inva tubulars too but none of them is as good as Exide.

[/quote]

So these are not deep cycle batteries ? 30K for a 200Ah battery :( Normal one is available for as low as 20K

You mean low voltage disconnect aka LVD ?

See they will say there is no problem with deep discharging but to be honest when you let a battery deep discharge it will reduce its life span. This is the reason we normally get 4 battries when we only really need 2 for example. Having an extra battery or two ensures long life of the battrey bank.

Exide says it is safe to deep discharge them but if you ask any one who knows his stuff with electronics and battries they will tell you the same thing that deep discharging a battery is never a good idea.

Other brands and local brands can be bought for a lot less then 20k but if you do the maths you will find that exides turn out to be a lot cheaper in the long run.

[quote=", post:11, topic:21328"]

See they will say there is no problem with deep discharging but to be honest when you let a battery deep discharge it will reduce its life span. This is the reason we normally get 4 battries when we only really need 2 for example. Having an extra battery or two ensures long life of the battrey bank.

Exide says it is safe to deep discharge them but if you ask any one who knows his stuff with electronics and battries they will tell you the same thing that deep discharging a battery is never a good idea.

Other brands and local brands can be bought for a lot less then 20k but if you do the maths you will find that exides turn out to be a lot cheaper in the long run.

[/quote]

some engineers recommend deep cycling a deep cycle battery on regular basis. Otherwise what is the use of a deep cycle battery ?

The main difference between a deep cycle battery and a starter battery is that a deep cycle battery would have a lot thicker plates inside so it is capable of going through longer periods of discharging and charging cycles but that does not mean that deep discharging that battery would do any good to those plates. Those plates will wear off quicker with deep cycling. It is always a good idea to have a bigger battery bank to prevent deep discharge of the whole bank no matter how good the battries are or what the manufacturer claims.

[quote=", post:13, topic:21328"]

The main difference between a deep cycle battery and a starter battery is that a deep cycle battery would have a lot thicker plates inside so it is capable of going through longer periods of discharging and charging cycles but that does not mean that deep discharging that battery would do any good to those plates. Those plates will wear off quicker with deep cycling. It is always a good idea to have a bigger battery bank to prevent deep discharge of the whole bank no matter how good the battries are or what the manufacturer claims.

[/quote]

Yes you are right, battery bank should be big enough to get your through a long period of time.

The maximum recommended DOD on a deep cycle battery is 80%.

Agreed.

I personally feel that we shouldnt let the battery drain beyond 60-65% but thats my own personal idea and no facts to back it up.

Thanks for clearing up misconception. i thought capacity of battery is calculated as number of plates x number of cells e.g 27 x 6 = 162 so the capacity is 165ah.

how do u rate Volta Tubular Batteries against flat plate batteries?
r these of any good use?