Battery Charger?

I have a UPS and a battery but because of constant load shedding the battery does not get enough time to recharge. I'm thinking of buying another battery but I would need a separate charger for it otherwise it will be useless. When a battery gets discharged I would just attach the newly charged battery to the UPS. I don't want to buy a whole UPS just for charging the battery. So,

Is there any Wet battery charger available in Lahore???

Has anyone bought it?

What is the price of it?

I would be very grateful if someone points to a company/shop.

Thanks.

go to any electronic market and get the one it will cost around 1200 to 1500 (10 to 20 amps)

the bigger the charger (like 30 to 50 amps) it will charge the battery quick BUT it will shorten the life of a battery.

which charger should i buy for 85 amp battery

^ C/10 = 8.5A.

Max 15A for slight reduction in battery capacity.

i don't know if its still available, but i have panda battery charger i bought 10 to 13 years ago, it was working very well i charged my ups battery recently for around 1 complete day and its no more, i was told that not to attempt as the battery will consume hell lot of current but i did not listen and i was end up damaging my charger. "Panda" was a good company in those years.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

[/quote]

im using a 12amp “lucky” battery charger it cost around 900 bucks about 2 years ago. it charges my 85amp battery in about 8-10 hours.

I am having the same problem of charging given the heavy load shedding. At maximum, how much charging current should be appropriate for a battery of 200AH? my ups has a 13amp charger but it is proving to be insufficient.

18-20 amp is required initially for 200AH battery, get a heavy duty charger for it.

I am having the same problem of charging given the heavy load shedding. At maximum, how much charging current should be appropriate for a battery of 200AH? my ups has a 13amp charger but it is proving to be insufficient.
[/quote]

you’ll need a 20amp, costs around 2200+

but is it possible to hook another charger of say 8 Amps in-parallel along with the existing one and get (13 + 8) 20 amps?

my UPS is continuously charging the two 195amp batteries and never stops. Is it some sort of serious issue?

What should I check?

In winters, it used to stop after charging them.

seems batteries are weak now....aint gettin charged to the set value of voltage!!!!! the charger only stops charging wen the set voltage is attained by the battery...so i guess ur batteries aren't gettin charged till tht set value......

but is it possible to hook another charger of say 8 Amps in-parallel along with the existing one and get (13 + 8) 20 amps?
[/quote]

no if you plug in two chargers in parallel, you’ll blow out both of them.

my UPS is continuously charging the two 195amp batteries and never stops. Is it some sort of serious issue?

What should I check?

In winters, it used to stop after charging them.

[/quote]

there are a bunch of reasons why the ups is continously charging the batteries, first

wet batteries tend to deplete faster the hotter it gets, during the winters they can hold the charge for a longer time.

if your ups is getting low voltage from the ac outlet its charging capabilities will be limited, so it wont be able to completely charge the battery.

your battery might be weak but thats a common misconception, i have a 6 year old 48amp osaka battery that is “weak” but my ups can still easily indicate its charged a 100%

the ups circuit might be defective, which is the most likely answer. if it cant detect the proper voltage of the battery it would know when to stop charging. usually when the voltage of battery reaches 14.5 volts, the ups will stop charging the battery.

there are a bunch of reasons why the ups is continously charging the batteries, first

wet batteries tend to deplete faster the hotter it gets, during the winters they can hold the charge for a longer time.

if your ups is getting low voltage from the ac outlet its charging capabilities will be limited, so it wont be able to completely charge the battery.

your battery might be weak but thats a common misconception, i have a 6 year old 48amp osaka battery that is “weak” but my ups can still easily indicate its charged a 100%

the ups circuit might be defective, which is the most likely answer. if it cant detect the proper voltage of the battery it would know when to stop charging. usually when the voltage of battery reaches 14.5 volts, the ups will stop charging the battery.

[/quote]

Batteries are also getting very hot. I asked the UPS guy but he said it’s normal. But I don’t think so it’s normal.

true they arent supposed to get extremely hot, you could try changing out the battery fluid, if theres too much acid and not enough deionized water that would make the battery heat up.

I got them checked today from the guy who made this UPS. He declared that the UPS is OK but the two 195amp AGS wet batteries are coming to and end due to which they are getting continuously charged. He checked the batteries with a meter on which reading was 27. He told me that if the reading is 28 or above than battery is OK. This pair of batteries worked for almost one and a half year.

Now the scenario is that if I want to get a new pair of batteries than I will have to spend 18k for 145amp batteries. And these batteries (195 amp which I am using now) will give me Rs.3000 on sale out.

But the guy told me that if you continue with these batteries than you will have to bare the electricity cost as it will get more and more charging. Another option is to shut doesn the UPS when its not required, this will make the batteries less hot.

So whats your suggstion in this infalation. :)

@imran

Why don't you get the plates of these batteries replaced. Here in peshawar there are some places where they replace the lead plates of the batteries with new ones and charge about 4000 for 200AH battery. People are using it and it works very well at-least for one year. I myself haven't tried it but plan to. Anyone here have any idea about this plate replacement.

The electrician who made this UPS was showing me the surface of these batteries that look its rough.

I will see in my city if such methods exist or not. Till now its working.