Battery AGS 165 consuming too much water

I tried to search for an answer but couldn't find it here So here is another problem

UPS=Homage 1000 (2 years old & repaired from service centre after wrong battery connection)

Battery= AGS 165

I'm noticing too much water consumption I haven't noticed it right after repair but now for last two weeks water level touch LOW bar within a week previously it used to take 3 months to evaporate that much water :mellow:
Is there anything wrong with Battery???

There is something wrong with the charger in your UPS.

Seems that it is overcharging the battery which is gassing and losing its water. Check the terminal voltage's when the battery is being charged and post here.

[quote=“executionist, post:2, topic:21032”]

There is something wrong with the charger in your UPS.

Seems that it is overcharging the battery which is gassing and losing its water. Check the terminal voltage's when the battery is being charged and post here.

[/quote]

How do I check Terminal Voltage???

Do you notice if the charging finishes or not? the battery surely is being overcharged.

By the way, when I had my UPS, i fixed one DC voltmeter in it. DC meter available very cheap in market and this gives you very good status of battery all the times.

You need Digital/analog multimeter or a DC volt meter to check the voltage. If you have idea what to do then try it otherwise ask an electrician to help you.

[quote=“tufail_74, post:4, topic:21032”]

Do you notice if the charging finishes or not? the battery surely is being overcharged.

By the way, when I had my UPS, i fixed one DC voltmeter in it. DC meter available very cheap in market and this gives you very good status of battery all the times.

You need Digital/analog multimeter or a DC volt meter to check the voltage. If you have idea what to do then try it otherwise ask an electrician to help you.

[/quote]

I will check the charging status now....

I do have multimeter can it serve the purpose??? By the way I'm no electronics expert don't know these things in detail

sure any multimeter should work. just select range bigger than 30volt dc and make sure u use terminals stating V on them and that's it. but be careful in making wrong connection and short circuit coz u will not be happy to see such a beautiful light.

[quote=“tufail_74, post:6, topic:21032”]

sure any multimeter should work. just select range bigger than 30volt dc and make sure u use terminals stating V on them and that's it. but be careful in making wrong connection and short circuit coz u will not be happy to see such a beautiful light.

[/quote]

OK so what should be the normal reading on Multimeter???

Anything above 14.4 will cause gassing in the battery. Check the voltages when the battery is being charged (preferably at the end of the charge cycle)

That's how you check the voltage of your battery.

• 1) Set the dial of Digital Multimeter (DMM) on "V" as seen in the picture.
  • 2) Attach the red lead of the digital multimeter with the "+" terminal of the battery.
  • 3) Attach the black lead of the digital multimeter with the "-" terminal of the battery.
  • 4) The other end of the red lead of digital multimeter is in that terminal of DMM which is for measuring Voltage, resistance etc.
  • 5) Similarly, the other end of the black lead of digital multimeter in the ground terminal of the multimeter.

This particular battery in the picture is AGS GX175 (11 months used). The battery is still functioning but the backup has been

reduced from 100% to approx. 35% (my best guess). Here's what I observed with this battery yesterday.

• Time: 2:58 PM, WAPDA Status: OFF, UPS (Homage HMX1001) Status: OFF, Battery Status: Fully Discharged, Battery Volts: 10.65V
  • Time: 3:01 PM, WAPDA Status: ON, UPS Status: ON, Battery Status: Charging, Battery Volts: 13.80V
  • Time: 3:55 PM, WAPDA Status: ON, UPS Status: ON, Battery Status: Charging, Battery Volts: 14.36V

To revive this battery i.e., to again have 75% - 80% backup is there any procedure? I've heard that shopkeepers do some sort of

special charging and the battery becomes good again?

^ @last line

No, the battery is not like a muscle where you can train it to get stronger, like EVERY machine, with time its efficiency will decrease and it will deteriorate.. no way or revival except replacement with new parts.

PS: by looks of your battery, it is indeed over charging.. Rough diagnosis can be made based on what ups and what settings are being used.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:10, topic:21032”]

^ by looks of your battery, it is indeed over charging.. Rough diagnosis can be made based on what ups and what settings are being used.

[/quote]

Well the UPS is Homage HMX1001, never opened and never performed any modification in it. On the back there is a switch for Charging Current with two options 15Amp and 20Amp. I had set it on 20A. Could this 20A charge rate be responsible for overcharging?

Not sure what is issue with ups of the battery.. but the terminals are spewing out acid or water, around its caps..could be a sign of overcharging either by ups or a damaged battery cell.

The same thing happening for me i have homage 2001&2 AGS 165 eleven months old.for last 1 month batteries consuming much water i use ags tonic i thought mayb it z due to high temperature nowdays.i never needed to fill water for months but now water level decreases in weeks.

Sent from my RAZR HD using Tapatalk