Ban on "Texting While Driving"

American lawmakers are proposing a ban on text messaging while driving.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=15824

.Is this already banned in Pakistan?

.Should we also propose this to our government?

.How many of you actually text while driving?

.Is there any way to text while driving without the use of our hands (Voice maybe)?

Only d----bags do that, i mean is calling while driving not enough? WTH, texting wile driving can result in major accidents.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
Is there any way to text while driving without the use of our hands (Voice maybe)?
[/quote]

Is there really any need to text while driving (either with or without using hands)? No, cause voice SMS services are already available in pakistan. In these services you can easily say your message and send as a awaz sms.

But yeah, in the near future, due to voice recognition services getting popular & spreading in all areas, the regular way of sms'g would be say-to-write. Then only d----bags would write using typing method. lol.

Use of mobile phones while driving in Pakistan is banned and you get a ticket of Rs. 500/- which I am sure also includes SMSing (if spotted by traffic police man).

^^ cut down to 100rs rishwat if you're willing to give :P

^haha... true it sometimes comes to Rs. 50/- also but then in such a case I prefer to run off and try to evade traffic guy because paying Rishwat is haram and a bigger sin than not following law of land (which is also a duty) --- just did it yesterday :D poor guy couldn't catch me, otherwise, I would get four charges:

1. Driving without license Rs. 350/- (had a fight at license office for asking why to pay rishwat when I can clear test -- failed it once).

2. Talking on mobile while driving Rs. 500/-

3. Running off police man (don't know how much), and

4. Vehicle has wiring problem so one headlight turns on / off itself (and it was off at that time).

^ then you better stay clear from Ultimate. He no like ppl talkin Mob while drivin!!!!

@deffury

.Is this already banned in Pakistan?

.Should we also propose this to our government?

Use of mobile (in any way), while driving, is prohibited. and you get ticket if you are caught using your mobile phone by the wardons (Punjab Traffic Police).

.How many of you actually text while driving?

I do it some times when get no option staying back and some times do talk as well :/ I know it's dangerous.

.Is there any way to text while driving without the use of our hands (Voice maybe)?

Some Nokia's symbian phones have already built-in Text-To-Speech feature and it reads your received Text messages for you. most probably there will also be built-in support by Nokia for Speech-To-Text. I dont know.

but there are some third parties already giving it out

is it what you think about http://www.smackall.com/viewarticle.php?title=-Speech-to-Text--Dictation-Application-for-Mobile-Phones&article=2457

@alamode @HellBorne

I didn't see in Lahore with giving rishwat to them now.

texting is not that important to do it on roads.if someone is in emergency then he won't sms but wil make a call, if hez not "maha kanjoos" ;)

^haha… true it sometimes comes to Rs. 50/- also but then in such a case I prefer to run off and try to evade traffic guy because paying Rishwat is haram and a bigger sin than not following law of land (which is also a duty) — just did it yesterday :D poor guy couldn’t catch me, otherwise, I would get four charges:

1. Driving without license Rs. 350/- (had a fight at license office for asking why to pay rishwat when I can clear test – failed it once).

2. Talking on mobile while driving Rs. 500/-

3. Running off police man (don’t know how much), and

4. Vehicle has wiring problem so one headlight turns on / off itself (and it was off at that time).

[/quote]

Yeah the problem is everyone gives rishwat at license office and they have a quota of people to pass like they cant pass more then 15-20 people driving license they also have to fail like 5-10 people daily too… So basically those who give rishwat they pass them and they fail those who dont even if their driving is perfect…

texting is not that important to do it on roads.if someone is in emergency then he won’t sms but wil make a call, if hez not “maha kanjoos” ;)
[/quote]

exactly!

but think a bit more.

wanna a hint? … “messaging doesn’t takes place only between mobile-to-mobile” :)

Talking on cellphone with hands-free or voice-to-text SMS with hands-free while driving car is not a good idea. It is equal to driving drunk. It was tested on MythBuster and proven that it is as equal as driving drunk because human brain has to think and response. It is same for dictating SMS message using voice-to-text SMS. It takes away attention from driving and could cause accident.

^acceptable... zero objection.

Talking on cellphone with hands-free or voice-to-text SMS with hands-free while driving car is also equal to talking to your friend/wife/kid while driving, is it not?

^it's a kind of parallel equality. but not equal in sense. the way it is like

DRIVE ---- TALK ----- DANGER

they come at same level.

I some times talk and text too but I accept that this is not a good idea.

also taking care of the things around is good at some extent. but still not a good idea.

to me it depends on the nature of the need that you attempt to "reply to text" or "attend the call".

^^ cut down to 100rs rishwat if you’re willing to give :P
[/quote]

Allow me to add here that these 100Rs Rishwat days are either about to end or the Rishwat rate is going to go high. Thats because of this Traffic Warden system. Definitely a step taken by some wise man. Since these people are officers and get salaries 25K plus, it is hoped that traffic in the country will improve.

When I start to explain something to someone, I tend to forget where I am going. Same goes with a friend of mine. I remember several instances when I/others had a near miss while conversing.

I think its best to focus on one thing, after all how long can one multitask in a day.

Good example of DUI (driving under influence) by Wampyr.

I think mind and eyes must be on road and one should speak whatever comes to tongue! :)

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/03/atx-in-vehicle-text-by-voice-reduces-the-subtleties-of-your-chat/

Hands free text messaging.