Bad Experience w/ WorldCall Cable TV Service! DISSATISFIED CUSTOMER!

I've been using WorldCall's Cable TV and Digital TV services since March 2009 and have been paying my quarterly bill on time. All of a sudden on September 1st the TV went blank. I waited a couple of hours just in case the blackout was the result of a power outage and then called the helpline. I was informed that there were no issues in my area and a complaint was registered. Nobody contacted me until 2 days later when a WorldCall team comprising of two men visited my premises and told me that the cable had snapped from the electricity pole and that they were "referring the case to maintenance". Several days later a maintenance guy named Iqbal visited and after inspecting the premises said my house was "too far from the pole where WorldCall's cable tv box was fitted" and that he would refer the case to "the design department" (I didn't know cable operators had design departments). This took place on September 7.

Nobody from WorldCall got in touch with me afterwards. I kept on trying to get an update on my complaint by calling the helpline but as usual, the only reply I ever got for the inefficient customer service staff, IF I managed to get through to them, was "we apologize for the delay and are forwarding this to the concerned department. thank you." After the Eid holidays, I lodged a second complaint since the first one hadn't been resolved for over 15 days. I then tried to get a hold of the maintenance guy who had visited my house on Sep 7 and asked him for an update as calling the helpline was absolutely useless. Iqbal informed me that he would ask his "design department" and let me know. When I called him back he said the "design department" would conduct some maintenance work to bring their box to the pole opposite to my house and then he would fix my connection OR if that wasn't possible, he would reconnect my cable exactly the way it was before it snapped. Unfortunately, Karachi witnessed a shutdown on Friday, Sep 17 and the guy never showed up.

Days passed and no one from WorldCall got in touch with me to confirm whether or not even one of my complaints had been resolved. And that too after I had sent several emails to cs@go4b.net.pk, feedback@go4b.net.pk and support@worldcall.pk and filled out the complaint form on their site. Bear in mind that I had paid my quarterly bill in full just a couple of weeks before this problem occurred. I wonder how customers who DON'T pay their bills are treated if this is the treatment meted out to a one who pays on time.

As WorldCall left me with no other choice, I decided to lodge a complaint with PEMRA and called their Sindh regional office (http://www.pemra.gov.pk/contact.html). The guy took down my WC complaint numbers and contact info. Nothing happened for at least 5 days. I then sent an email chairman@pemra.gov.pk and rgm-khi@pemra.gov.pk and also filled out the complaint form on pemra's site. The very next day, the guy who had taken down my complaint 5 days ago called me up, referred to my email and said he would get the matter resolved immediately. Nothing happened.

After several more days had passed, I received a call from a WorldCall rep who identified himself as Tahir and said he would get the matter resolved the very next day. Nothing happened. I then managed to get in touch with Iqbal when I called from a different number (he was avoiding my calls because he knew my cell number) and he informed me that his "design department" asked him to tell me to get a refund because it was "impossible to get the cable to my house as it was too far away from their pole". I was shocked and surprised that a maintenance guy was authorized to tell a paying customer to just get a refund. Keep in mind that no one from the complaint or customer service department ever got in touch with me during the 27 days that my complaint remained unresolved to tell me that I should get a refund as the problem couldn't be resolved.

I can't seem to understand how WorldCall can take my money, give me a cable tv connection and 1.5 years later claim that my house is too far away from their pole so they can't reconnect me after a cable snap. FYI, my house is located on main Allama Iqbal Road in PECHS right next to Tariq Road. It's not like I'm in Shikarpur or Dera Ghazi Khan. How odd is that? Or is this just another example of WorldCall's poor customer service, inefficiency and incompetence??? It's clear that they don't care if they lose business. It's all right with them to lose existing customers instead of trying to fix a problem and create opportunities to get more customers. What a shame! This is how people do business in this country. That's what you get when you have no consumer rights.

I do not have words to express my dissatisfaction and annoyance but thought it would be useful for the community here to know about my personal experience with WorldCall so that people think twice before choosing this company for any service. I'm sure there are hundreds of other dissatisfied cable TV subscribers and I'm not even talking about their internet service (everyone knows what that's like). Last year while paying my bill at WC's CS office in Clifton, I saw a middle aged woman complaining about a similar issue where WC had taken cable TV installation and monthly charges from her but never showed up to give her a connection for over a month. She was asking for a refund. That's just one more example.

Day 28. No resolution. No communication from any responsible or even irresponsible individual at WorldCall. Bill paid for three months in August.

I end this outburst/rant by saying: SHAME ON YOU WORLDCALL for poor management, even poorer customer service and pathetic/laughable maintenance. Even a 12 year old kid in the US or UK would know how to resolve a technical issue such as this and if not, how to go about informing a paying customer through the proper channel.

What a country yar!

Sad....really really sad.....these kind of episodes are so frustrating...

@johnny98: Do you have any other choice besides WC?

Hire two guys to go up a ladder (one to go up, one to hold

on to it and pass him the plaas/pana) and join the cable to

where it was fixed before.

Better yet, give Iqbal some chai-pani and tell him to do it.

I bet he'll be more than happy to do it for you. And if you

decide to pay the monthly bill to WC, that's your business.

Pemra Chairman, Tahir... these folks are busy trying to make

as much money, before they get the boot, for some other

sifarshi nincompoop.

Sheikh '10 Ways To Skin A Cat' Chilli

^^^I agree with you man. Give some jaib kharch to the maintenance guy and he'll do all the design work too :P

or take matters in your hands and DIY if there is no other option for watching TV left.

What the hell man a design department, lol. Seriously a company like worldcall who i don't call a company rather a mohalla wali cable has so many departments and yet nothing. I seriously wanna meet these guys and see what kind of departments they have and how they are functioning. Anyways my friend its a shame and in this country its not for the first time this kind of thing has happened and owner of a company like worldcall you can sense the corruption down to the bottom. They are pathetic and they do not care and they never will do cauz they are making money and deepening their pockets as much as they can before they lose their ranks ans another daku comes on to continue their dirty work. Yara i have fixed cable alot of times myself cauz they i know they won't come at time or listen so do it urself. I am not sure that how u have managed to pass a month living with this story cauz its really disturbing.

Thanks guys for all your comments of support. I really do appreciate it.

You are right. I guess I should just pay someone to do this but the problem is I don't know where exactly their pole is. Will try to "bribe" the Iqbal guy and see if I get anywhere that way. But if I go that route, what guarantee do I have that Mr. Iqbal won't turn around 2 months down the road, decide in his incorruptible mind that he can make more money this way and cut the cable sometime after midnight so that I have to give him another call and offer even more Lipton and Aquafina? Believe me, people in this country will do anything to make a dishonest buck.

I did wait for WC to resolve this for 3 days after lodging the original complaint but then realized it was futile to wait any longer or hope for a prompt resolution before Eid so I managed to get a temporary local cable connection which I had discontinued when I got WC last year. The problem with the local cable walas is that the channels aren't as clear as they were on WC because of signal strength issues, crappy channels and some other problems so I really would prefer to use WC instead. I would rather just get this fixed instead of getting a refund. Honestly, I never thought their service was this poor at least when it comes to cable TV. Everyone knows how "fabulous" their internet services are!

Are there any other alternatives besides WC? I've used Satcom in the past but they were really unprofessional, slow and had lots of technical issues including power breakdowns which lasted for days instead of hours while the power was on everywhere else. Has anyone had any experience with Satcom recently? Dare I ask if their service has gotten any worse?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

What the hell man a design department, lol. Seriously a company like worldcall who i don’t call a company rather a mohalla wali cable has so many departments and yet nothing. I seriously wanna meet these guys and see what kind of departments they have and how they are functioning. Anyways my friend its a shame and in this country its not for the first time this kind of thing has happened and owner of a company like worldcall you can sense the corruption down to the bottom. They are pathetic and they do not care and they never will do cauz they are making money and deepening their pockets as much as they can before they lose their ranks ans another daku comes on to continue their dirty work. Yara i have fixed cable alot of times myself cauz they i know they won’t come at time or listen so do it urself. I am not sure that how u have managed to pass a month living with this story cauz its really disturbing.
[/quote]

Where do you live buddy? Somewhere in Karachi I hope.

Willing to give it a shot and see if you can fix this for me in return for some Lipton-Aquafina compensation?

More than 6 years ago, WC was setting-up it's operations in

Karachi. They had mapped the entire city (and I mean entire),

every little street corner and flat through satellite imagery.

Their civil dept. was headed by a retired Army Col. who would

"facilitate" matters with DHA and the various diplomatic

missions who couldn't wait to get WC installed back then.

Their design dept. was headed by a graduate from NUST,

under whom were grads from G.I.K, N.E.D, Dawood among

others. These guys figured-out how best to configure a sys-

tem that would feed the current and future TV/Net needs

of this metropolis. With the help of satellite maps and

numerous site visits to flats, commercial centers and what-

not, they laid out each and every almari and those square

beige boxes mounted on KESC poles. Imagine, co-ordinating

with the KESC staff, so that they could switch-off the lights

while the WC staff would configure their wires/boxes.

Fast Forward to today and all of those engineers have

moved on to greener pastures. I don't know who exactly

is running operations there today. Since they sold it to a

middle-eastern conglomerate, things have probably gone

the same route as KESC & PTCL.

The Govt has blocked DTH in Sindh High Court for the last

5 years. I think when that technology arrives, WC and

others are going to disappear, unless they clean up their

act.

As for Iqbal & Co. I would ask him to put the old wire back

up and you go "online" with WC. The guys at head-end can

tell when somebody hooks-up to an open port. So an illegal

hookup would fail in the long-term anyway. You can tell Iqbal

to hell with the "design team intervention". Just hook me up

the way you had before. If the line snaps from the pole, just

get a ladder and do it again.

Sometimes, if there is a tree or a PTCL pole in between, they

will hang the wire on top of it, allowing the cable weight to

dissipate, so it isn't left flapping in the wind, all 100 feet of it.

Makes it more susceptible to 'snapping'.

Sheikh 'Snapple' Chilli

PS: There were probably other actors before the

guys I mentioned in the design dept, who did the

original draft work, like Dogar, who's from Lahore.

@johnny98

>>Or is this just another example of WorldCall's poor customer service, inefficiency and incompetence???

Yes Absolutely.

>>I end this outburst/rant by saying: SHAME ON YOU WORLDCALL for poor management, even poorer customer service and pathetic/laughable maintenance.

+1 for "Shame on you WorldCall"

I cancelled my cable tv and internet with them recently after continued BS service by them , hooked with local cable wala for TV and re-activated the Wateen for internet backup i.e. other than main ptcl connection ( which is also going down hill.. ) , so yes 'What a country' ... bribe the line man , bribe the cable wala , bribe the police wala, bribe the XX ( where XX can be anyone) and that too for your legal stuff ... but ya call it Mithai kay paisy , Chai Pani kay paisay etc , it feels less guilty.

It would be great if other wiredPK community members could share their bad experiences with WorldCall's cable TV/customer service and complaint resolution (or rather non-resolution) so that we can then bring this thread to the attention of those who hold powerful positions at WorldCall. Even if nothing changes and from the looks of it, nothing will, at least we would've done our job in bringing to their attention the sorry state in which the company is being run and mismanaged so much so that it is fast becoming nothing more than a laughing stock.

Worldcall did something similar to my friend. He was getting bad internet and cable tv connection and he was a subscriber of worldcall's. After umpteen complaints he got tired and paid a local cable wala 300 rs some money to climb up the poll and get the cable sorted out.

When the WC cable wala arrived at his house after a month of complaining to fix his cable he said it was all good and there is nothing to do here.

I bet if I called their helpline and subscribed for a new cable TV connection under a different/assumed name and provided them the same address, a salesman would show up the very next day (in fact in less than 24 hours) to take my money and most likely their installation/maintenance team (most likely headed by none other than Iqbal) would show up the following day. Of course, it's quite likely that after realizing his mistake, he would come up with the same verdict and say, "Oh sir, we're so sorry. You'll just have to get a refund since it's rocket science to get the cable from there to here and you know we're not even matric pass na?"

Actually, I have another idea. Since WC doesn't give a crap about how much inconvenience their incompetence and mismanagement has caused me, I think I'll keep pestering them by giving them a call every day or every other day and asking for a new complaint number each time after telling them that the previous complaint wasn't resolved or not telling them that at all. Maybe I should ask a few of my friends to do the same on my account. At least that will keep their customer service reps a little busy.

New name for WC's customer care dept. It should be called: The "Customers? Couldn't Care Less!" Department.

@johnny98

Sorry bru I am from Islamabad. Glad to help u out with this pathetic and misery stuff but unluckily too from ya. Wish ya gud luck pal.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

@johnny98

Sorry bru I am from Islamabad. Glad to help u out with this pathetic and misery stuff but unluckily too from ya. Wish ya gud luck pal.

[/quote]

No worries. I can, however, easily hire a couple of guys from a local cable company to get this done as I’ve known them form quite some time but I don’t want to do this the wrong way and then get disconnected by WC. I’d rather get this resolved through proper channels, which unfortunately appears to be next to impossible. In any case, let’s see how it goes. If all else fails, will probably just get a refund and then discourage everyone I come across from subscribing to any WC service for life.

In regards to Refunds , when I got WC connection it was initially with non-wifi default modem (along cable tv), then later I upgraded and paid them 2500 PKR for a wifi Cable modem , which they said will remain Company's property. Now when I have cancelled they say that Modem is company's property and also that money paid for modem is also non-refundable.

Shouldn't it be one of the two things ? That either its my property and they don't refund OR Its their property and they take it back and refund ?

I guess just a heads up for people who will go for any refunds.

Guys, has any of you tried Wateen's cable TV services? I haven't heard good things about this internet services and hardly anyone has mentioned being a subscriber of their cable tv services, but at the moment I'm so ticked off at WC that I'm willing to try any other alternative and just get a refund from this lousy excuse for a company (I mean WC). Any feedback would be appreciated.

^^^It was started in DHA Lahore on fiber optic network looong time ago but i have no idea if its still in operation. any one from Lahore?

I actually called their helpline and was informed that you can move to "some areas" of Lahore if you want to get our cable TV service because they still haven't started providing this service in Karachi.

why dont you try Sun TV?