Autoshut down

Hello Yar i need some good valid working software to schedule a shutdown before the light wen off so please suggest me any trusted software as i have corrupted my hard drive due to light failure

I did this just the other day. However, I use hibernation instead of shut down. After some tweaking in the BIOS with regards to the behaviour when power comes back on, the PC goes into hibernation 5-10 minutes before the load shedding occurs and turns back on automatically when the electricity comes back.

Since I don't have to logoff, µTorrent keeps working 24 hours (minus the load shedding hours).

Of course, this all works on the assumption that the load shedding occurs at fixed times during the day.

yeah thats what i want to do if you can tell me some details about that

Procedure for Windows XP and Vista

Follow the steps below:

1 - Open Scheduled Tasks (in Control Panel) and click on Add Scheduled Task. Click Next, and then Browse.

2 - Browse to rundll32.exe [C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe].

3 - Set the task to be performed daily. Click Next, and then Next again. Leave the start time on previous screen as is.

4 - Enter the password twice. Click Next.

5 - Check the checkbox to go to advanced properties and then click Finish. A new property page/tab (Task tab) will open up.

6 - In front of Run, enter "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe PowrProf.dll, SetSuspendState". Remove the quotation marks at both ends and change the drive letter, if needed.

7 - Near the bottom, check "Run only if logged on" checkbox.

8 - Go to Settings tab. Uncheck all checkboxes.

9 - Last, go to the Schedule tab. At the bottom, check "Show multiple schedules" checkbox if you want to make this task run at multiple times (to cater for different periods of load shedding).

10 - Set each time. For all times, set Schedule Task to "Daily" for Every "1" day(s). Add as many times for hibernation as you want. Try to set the time 5-10 minutes before the electricity goes out - do this only if you are sure of the times.

11 - Click OK and you are done.

Now, only when you are logged in, and hence when the software (µTorrent) is executing will the scheduled task execute too.

After this, you also need to configure your BIOS settings so that your computer turns on automatically whenever power is given to it. This way, as soon as the electricity comes back, your computer will turn on too and resume from hibernation. For µTorrent to work, ensure that you have a router set to autodial/autoconnect when it gets disconnected.

Hopefully, the above instructions will be enough to get you started. Modify it according to your own needs.

Thank you very much

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Procedure for Windows XP

Follow the steps below:

1 - Open Scheduled Tasks (in Control Panel) and click on Add Scheduled Task. Click Next, and then Browse.

2 - Browse to rundll32.exe [C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe].

3 - Set the task to be performed daily. Click Next, and then Next again. Leave the start time on previous screen as is.

4 - Enter the password twice. Click Next.

5 - Check the checkbox to go to advanced properties and then click Finish. A new property page/tab (Task tab) will open up.

6 - In front of Run, enter “C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe PowrProf.dll, SetSuspendState”. Remove the quotation marks at both ends and change the drive letter, if needed.

7 - Near the bottom, check “Run only if logged on” checkbox.

8 - Go to Settings tab. Uncheck all checkboxes.

9 - Last, go to the Schedule tab. At the bottom, check “Show multiple schedules” checkbox if you want to make this task run at multiple times (to cater for different periods of load shedding).

10 - Set each time. For all times, set Schedule Task to “Daily” for Every “1” day(s). Add as many times for hibernation as you want. Try to set the time 5-10 minutes before the electricity goes out - do this only if you are sure of the times.

11 - Click OK and you are done.

Now, only when you are logged in, and hence when the software (µTorrent) is executing will the scheduled task execute too.

After this, you also need to configure your BIOS settings so that your computer turns on automatically whenever power is given to it. This way, as soon as the electricity comes back, your computer will turn on too and resume from hibernation. For µTorrent to work, ensure that you have a router set to autodial/autoconnect when it gets disconnected.

Hopefully, the above instructions will be enough to get you started. Modify it according to your own needs.

[/quote]

That works on Windows Vista.

That works on Windows Vista.
[/quote]

Cheers. Post amended.

The above mentioned process is also working on windows xp but now i need to know how and what to set in bios to wake up my computer after the light is available

It will be under the Power Management options. The specific setting/option will deal with the computer's behaviour once the power comes back on.

Which motherboard do you have?

Just changed settings on my old PC which i use for downloading and its working.

Thanks Asad.

I have dell optiplex gx270

Just changed settings on my old PC which i use for downloading and its working.

Thanks Asad.

[/quote]

You are welcome.

I have dell optiplex gx270
[/quote]

Any manuals which mention BIOS options available?

Hey i have a better solution to it this software is awsome just set time on it & your pc will hibernate/shutdown/restart etc. You can adjust timer on whichever time.

Try it hope u'll enjoy it I use of because of stupid wapda powercuts.

1.Install the file

2.paste patch in installed program files folder

3. run the patch & u are done

I guess this is what u wanted

here the link

http://rapidshare.com/files/105370133/SmartSleep.3.60.rar.html

U can also use Auto Power On & Shutdown

It is here www.lifsoft.com