Are you happy with Nokia Messaging Services?

I am not sure if only I am feeling very uncomfortable with it due to my lack of knowledge with it or is it really like that.

This is the second day of my annual leaves from office so that I am writing a big text down there. Please do not skip and read on if you are a Nokia Smart phone user. This is what I have an experience with Nokia Messaging so far.

First of all I would like to tell about it that Nokia Messaging is one of the great services like BIS for Push Email and IM services. But only after it has been successfully installed and configured.

Yep! I felt it a pain when re-configuring the Nokia Email client and IM client.

For them who do not know that Nokia Messaging is a paid service which comes with data plans from the Operators, but Nokia offers a free introductory subscription to its premium service for selected models of Nokia devices as part of the cost of the device. I am not sure which the models are having free subscription as I couldn't find any authentic reference about them but I guess the later Nokia E-Series devices e.g. E72, E75, E52... are having this subscription free.

The concerns of posting this topic is to tell my experience with it after having Nokia E52 purchased. I was good with it when I saw the Nokia Email and IM clients in it. I just headed towards Nokia Messaging website to register an account to start with. It was not so easy for me to get started with it because the Email client was surely having bugs which disturbed a lot while creating mailboxes on the phone. some times it didn't connect successfully, some times it got unresponsive, some times it responded with nothing done and back to where I started from. Even some times when I saw an error with some prompt message, I took a cool breath thinking that it's good enough if it responded well at least.

So... The first error I got with it was that I had already an account on Nokia Messaging with the email address I was trying to add in my new Nokia Email client. Ok! this was my bad that I had used Nokia Messaging with the older phones but didn't feel its performance or noticed any thing specially because of expensive GPRS rates on limited plans. Any ways.... I just got back on Nokia Messaging website, deleted all of my email accounts I ever had registered there and came back on my phone to create again via the Email Client itself.

I remember when I first added my account in Email Client on E52, I received an email from Nokia Messaging Team congratulating me to have a free subscription with my Nokia E52 that is one of the selected models of Nokia devices. It was really good to use Nokia Email client for push email on WiFi link being as quick sync as a couple of seconds. On the other side another Nokia Chat client was also superb with GTalk, Windows Live, and Yahoo IM services which also worked with the subscription on Nokia Messaging (I, however, didn't know about this on that time).

Ok let's move on. Both of the clients Nokia Chat and Nokia Email were great until the day when I upgraded the firmware of my Nokia E52 very recently a couple of days before and did a hard format to free up the space from internal memory. My bad luck that I didn't know the fact if I remove the account or cancel the subscription on Nokia Messaging that I previously created via Nokia Email client on E52, I won't get that subscription back. And because I had to remove the account to recreate via Nokia Email client from the phone, I did remove and start over again from the phone. Here comes the bad luck, I got the email from Nokia Messaging Team thanking, this time, to try the Nokia Messaging, congratulations that I have a trial subscription of Nokia Messaging :/ I am currently on trial for a week now, it hasn't ended yet, thanks to them. They didn't tell the exact time span of trial though.

On the other hand with Nokia Chat, while fixing another issue relating to Yahoo Mobile services which suddenly disappeared from Nokia Chat. In the way of fixing it I just removed the Nokia Chat client and reinstalled it using connection with proxy (as detailed in other thread) because it was the issue with Wateen that I couldn't get Yahoo Mobile services on my phone. Any ways, doing that way it was fixed and I got Yahoo IM service back in Nokia Chat client. But then along with Yahoo other IM services like Hotmail and GTalk stopped working. When ever I was trying to sign in, Nokia Chat client gave an error saying that I need a Nokia Messaging Subscription for the services I selected to sign in with...

That's all. I am currently not able to use Nokia Chat client fully or partially with Yahoo, Hotmail, or GTalk. It only works with Ovi now. Nokia Email, on other side, is working with trial subscription of Nokia Messaging which, I don't know, is ending sooner or later.

But I still don't blame on the service performance of Nokia Email. It's still great on trial.. I just emailed them telling about the issue I had as many of the customers had contacted them on different issues regarding Nokia Messaging and they got responses. Hoping that they would reply with a positive fix.

Please comment or share your knowledge. May be I get a fix from you to get my full subscription back.

No one's using Nokia Messaging perhaps?

Even though i can avail Warid's Postpaid GPRS but E52 is not the kind of a messaging phone for me. Yet for IM i use ebuddy, works perfect. Nokia'a IM is a crape. This is the same as Windows. You won't fix some issues in your OS coz 3rd party would and it would keep your OS going.

I'm having E72. Will try it through wifi.

i m using nokia messaging on my 5800 xprress music since last six months and works fine for me.

actually, i dont feel any difference in it and using my regular sms service. i have registered 2 gmail and 2 yahoo accounts on it.

i think its the best thing ever offered by nokia.

^ Thanks godfather. Yes! this is great with no doubt. In addition can you answer following please?

1- Can you please tell me what type of subscription do you see in your account on Nokia Messaging website for mail (http:/email.nokia.com/) after logging in?

For extent... What is the Plan and Status of the subscription in your account?

2- Have you registered all of the 4 (2 gmail and 2 yahoo) accounts separately on Nokia Messaging OR registered with 1 and additionally added other 3 accounts in that 1st registered account?

Hope you understand what I wanted to ask in 2nd question.. if not then please let me try to explain again...

thanks

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I’m having E72. Will try it through wifi.
[/quote]

Yes! you should… if not already. It’s really good to use.

Even though i can avail Warid’s Postpaid GPRS but E52 is not the kind of a messaging phone for me. Yet for IM i use ebuddy, works perfect. Nokia’a IM is a crape. This is the same as Windows. You won’t fix some issues in your OS coz 3rd party would and it would keep your OS going.
[/quote]

Then what is the phone really a kind of messaging for you?

if you think it to be a typing easiness… I believe every individual gets use to a handset on which he/she feels a heaven when typing on it and thinks not of any other handset being as good as he/she is already with.

In fact, Nokia E52 is rather a good handset for messaging with the features (which are actually good for a messaging device) with really a good stuffed key pad which let you be familiar with it very soon. and it is one of the selected handsets which come with free Subscription of Nokia Messaging with some purpose, I guess.

By the way it’s not the part of the topic whether Nokia E52 is good or not. But it was about the service Nokia Messaging, whether you used it or didn’t? If you didn’t, then you really should try if you have a compatible handset with an unlimited data plan or with a WiFi link at home or office.

well i am using this service for free (and i think its not trial) from the last 6months on my E75, even after updating my phone's software.

I have registered two Gmail accounts on it, it works great for me no issue.

For IM same words from me as "godfather" said. and yep ebuddy is better than nokia IM.

^

1- Can you please tell me what type of subscription do you see in your account on Nokia Messaging website for mail (http:/email.nokia.com/) after logging in?

For extent… What is the Plan and Status of the subscription in your account?

2- Have you registered all of the 4 (2 gmail and 2 yahoo) accounts separately on Nokia Messaging OR registered with 1 and additionally added other 3 accounts in that 1st registered account?

[/quote]

Here are the answers for your two questions as I understand them:-

1. My accounts are shown with my original IDs like, abcd@gmail.com and abcd@yahoo.com. Nokia doesn’t charge me for it (its free) and I have monthly 2 GB plan on my zong sim. The best thing is you receive ur mails like sms with ur selected ringtones.

2. I have added all the accounts separately. The apps is quite user friendly, as u can change accounts with a single click. I have set one of my gmail account is primary though. u can add total 10 accounts to it.

Its a gr8 apps, I will recommend it to all compatable smartphone users.

@Mumtaz

For checking if it is trial or not, you can signin with the registered account on Nokia Messaging http://email.nokia.com

The issue I mentioned in OP, I guess, was happened due to that I canceled/removed the account perhaps and not due to the software update. I've got response from Nokia Care for the issue I told and they requested some specific details about my accounts and the phone model.

For Nokia IM client, I just informed about the fact which I've experienced with it.

As you mentioned about your accounts, I'd also ask the same question to you as I asked to "godfather" that did you registered with both gmail accounts saperately or registered with one and added the other one additionally in 1st registered account?

(this would be as, you registered with 1 gmail account that being your Nokia Messaging account or NM-Account and after when you signed in with that account on Nokia Messaging website you can add additional accounts in your NM Account)

@godfather

thanks. I'd revise the question here

1st question was that, after signing in on website http://email.nokia.com what do you see under the section "My subscription"?

2nd question was answered quite well I suppose. Just a quick question on that again.

You registered with one account and add 3 more in it. So you consumed 4 out of 10 accounts. Right?

Is it Push Email or does the phone have to check at regular intervals?

^ Nokia Messaging provides Push Email via IMAP idle protocol. Means the Nokia Email client on a compatible handset remains active after initiating connection with the Nokia Messaging server so that the server delivers emails instantly to the client. Yes it works pretty like BIS. I haven't yet compared the real-time performance of both. But with Nokia Messaging, email on my handset arrives just within a couple of seconds as it arrives on my phone before the "New Email Alert" on my computer disappears.

Nokia Email Client works in two ways

1- Nokia Email Client is connected to your Nokia Messaging account and Nokia Messaging service directly delivers the new emails to the client. To be cleared, I must tell you that you need an alive data connection which lets the server notify the client and send data to it successfully. An alive data connection means "always on" data connection. It doesn't mean that it keeps sending and receiving a bunch of data all the time to check for the new emails but yes, only to keep the connection alive a very small amount of data, probably around 200 bytes(as I noticed) are sent/received in total, after a couple of minutes like 5 minutes. Or otherwise the idle connection will be closed by the Network Provider after a few minutes. Strictly saying this small data is not sent or received beyond these 5 minutes interval and this small amount of data is not sent/received to check for new emails. But emails are retrieved very instantly without any specified interval.

However to keep the cost in mind this is recommended to use unlimited data plan as you always avail with BIS data plan.

2- Nokia Email Client can also work as a regular email client that is directly connected to your personal email account. This is what needs to check for new emails manually or on regular specified intervals.

@KA

I have visited the nokia mail site, and would u believe what it says.

my subscription is trial

I have never visited the site before, so I m not sure since when my sub is a trial ver. I have been using it since last 6 months. But it got me worried coz two days ago I have updated the apps when alerted for availability of update. maybe the trial thing happened then, maybe its from beginning.

I will check the wgole damn thing out once I get some time.

As for the nbr of accounts are concerned, yes I have added 4 mailboxes to it and can add 6 more.

here is what it says under "my subscription".

27879948.png

Plan Nokia Messaging subscription - purchased with device

Subscription status: Active

so, i guess, yes it comes free with certain models including my E75 :)

and yep i registered with one gmail, and added another, and now deleted later one.

@KA

I have visited the nokia mail site, and would u believe what it says.

my subscription is trial

[/quote]

Yes! I can believe that… I am also having the same statement on my account for a quite some time after the trouble and issue I described in OP. But I am not sure about Nokia 5800 if it comes with Nokia Messaging subscription. Nor I am sure about the trial subscription that for how long would it be working good as I’ve been on trial for around 2 weeks. You should have visited the site before, I guess. Any ways, just add any thing new, you find about it, in the thread.

I must ask to the users of Nokia 5800 to check with it by signing up with Nokia Messaging from the within the Nokia 5800’s built-in email client. There is nothing they would loose but they might get some thing.

here is what it says under “my subscription”.

http://a.imageshack.us/img38/6025/27879948.png

Plan Nokia Messaging subscription - purchased with device

Subscription status: Active

so, i guess, yes it comes free with certain models including my E75 :)

and yep i registered with one gmail, and added another, and now deleted later one.

[/quote]

Yep! lucky man…

I must say here not to cancel the subscription by clicking the link in front of the subscription status as shown in the image above. However it asks for the confirmation after clicking cancel.

Must check the link below, it throws light on another dimension of the problem i.e; if u change the SIM. See if its applicable to pakistan.

mobileyog.blogspot.com/2010/06/nokia-messaging-subscription-confusion.html

Did a bit of reseaexh to explore the problem.

On 12-13 different ppl have reported and discussed the issue. In fact ppl have been reporting the issue since mid of last year.

in most of the (in fact 17 out of 18) reports/discussions ppl have complained abt the status of their subscription being trial. I found one example in which a person has reported that has trial sub has expired.

There are rumours that the trial subs will end in september. In that case, service providers instead of nokia are likely to deduct the charges for the service.

In nutshell, I will say we shall enjoy the trial sub for now, coz there are ppl who are doing so since 10/11 months.

Rest assured if NM get a paid service u will find some 3rd party apps.

What I