Are Children symbol of their Parents success?

in our society, pakistani, parents take too much interest in just about everything in their childs life, regardless of their age. from choosing the best school, then college, then university, then bahoo or choosing the best medicine for the flu... parents knows best.

agree/disagree?

discuss.

To a certain extent, I would say I agree. Experience counts for quite a bit. However, that doesn't mean that a child shouldn't have any say in matters relating to him/her.

Thats a very generalized statement which certainly does not do justice to a society as complex as that of Pakistan, which has a multitude of classes in terms of financial, social and religious status and beliefs. There are parents in Pakistan who are very controlling when it comes to their children's lives, and there are also parents in Pakistan who let their children make most if not all the decisions in their lives. But that same situation exists in just about every other country as well! So I think the topic is flawed!

where is tech in this thread??

Parents know more than Children. And most of the time they do consider child's wishes too. What they do are best for a child.

Parents know better...

But we(the youngsters) realize it afterwards....:|

Being too controlling towards kids dampens their self-confidence IMO. But the worst thing is that our parents continue to dictate our lives even when we grow up and are supposed to be able to look after ourselves.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
There are parents in Pakistan who are very controlling when it comes to their children's lives, and there are also parents in Pakistan who let their children make most if not all the decisions in their lives.
[/quote]

Though the former greatly outnumber the latter in Pakistan.

To a certain extent, I would say I agree. Experience counts for quite a bit. However, that doesn’t mean that a child shouldn’t have any say in matters relating to him/her.
[/quote]

if it is about experience then why stop at parents and why not grand parents as they maybe more experienced?

regarding the child having a say in the matter, it doesnt make any sense to me. parents naturally wants to choose the best for their children. even if they give u a choice, it is between what they think is best for u…

Thats a very generalized statement which certainly does not do justice to a society as complex as that of Pakistan, which has a multitude of classes in terms of financial, social and religious status and beliefs. There are parents in Pakistan who are very controlling when it comes to their children’s lives, and there are also parents in Pakistan who let their children make most if not all the decisions in their lives. But that same situation exists in just about every other country as well! So I think the topic is flawed!
[/quote]

yes i agree parent taking keen interest in their children life is a global thing, but in pakistan this keen interest becomes an obsession. they would like to control every other aspect of their childs life, even when they are good enough to take their own decision.

parents dont like to see a challenge in thier authority by their kids. all our lives they tell us to stand on our feet, grow up and once we do, they try to pull the string and when it breaks they fall.

just to give u all a background, i was visiting an old lady with my family who was very ill and on bed. when asked what happened i was told though she is suffereing from breast cancer, the main thing she is ill is because of the 'sadma' of his eldest son not marrying the girl she wanted him to marry. now these kind of expectations u will only find in south asian parents.

^ Actually I disagree about the 'south asian parents' part. Here in Canada I was exposed to a lot of different cultures, and I was rather surprised to find most other people from Asian countries and the like (Pakistan, India, Arab countries, China, Korea etc) share very similar 'conservative' social and family values. You see that in how parents from these countries want their children to follow a certain path in life.

Western societies are a bit different though. But again, even in those kinds of societies you'll find different levels of parenting influence, which depends on family to family. Over all though, western societies are quite well represented in what you'd see in say American tv shows.

Anyways, the points I wanted to emphasize were, that one, each society has different classes in itself who have different values, and two, that this kind of demographics exist in other countries as well and they are not limited to Pakistan.

^what is ur opinion on the actual question general?

^ I already answered that. I think some parents are too involved in their childrens life, and other parents manage to strike a nice balance. But this is not an issue which you can generalize to the whole country. Thats my opinion!

where is tech in this thread??
[/quote]

+1

+1

[/quote]

Its in general discussion forum. Raising children might be techy :P

Hnmmm.... Think of it in terms of a scenario... Parents are insisting on "Jaapaani" Sony Vaio and the child wants Lenovo. I would support the child... :P

Well if its about Sony or Lenovo than i prefer Lenovo aswell. :)

+1

[/quote]

Well if its about Sony or Lenovo than i prefer Lenovo aswell. :)
[/quote]

whos gonna pay, you or your parents :P