Apple in Pakistan

How many people here uses Apple products(http://www.mediacenterpk.com) and recommend them to be used in Pakistan? What are the downfalls? I know they're really reliable and powerful machines but I would like to know the downfalls.

I am looking into Macbook Pro or either a windows based laptop..

Lastly, are powerful laptops good to be used for web designing (photoshop) and development? Sometimes gaming...

I think the biggest problem is that they are very expensive. My sister has one and a simple battery replacement on her laptop cost her more than a brand new desktop PC would .

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I think the biggest problem is that they are very expensive. My sister has one and a simple battery replacement on her laptop cost her more than a brand new desktop PC would .
[/quote]

That’s rather strange. Was her notebook under warranty at the time? Even if the warranty expired, a repair job or a replacement battery shouldn’t have costed a fortune!

[/quote]

By a new desktop PC, do you mean low-end PC?

How many people here uses Apple products(http://www.mediacenterpk.com) and recommend them to be used in Pakistan? What are the downfalls? I know they’re really reliable and powerful machines but I would like to know the downfalls.

I am looking into Macbook Pro or either a windows based laptop…

Lastly, are powerful laptops good to be used for web designing (photoshop) and development? Sometimes gaming…

[/quote]

MacBook Pro is the best LapTop. I will highly recommend you to buy this ones.

the golden rule of buying a mac is to never buy ram from apple.

the golden rule of buying a mac is to never buy ram from apple.
[/quote]

Why do you say that?

Why do you say that?

[/quote]

That’s because RAM you buy from Apple is under warranty from Apple, which makes it cost twice as much or more as compared to RAM from the open market, which also has it’s own manufacturer warranty. But say if the RAM purchased from the open market is installed in an Apple machine, and that causes hardware malfunction to the machine in any way, Apple warranty for that machine would be voided. Now if the same RAM was from Apple (they track it thru the serial number on their RAMs) then Apple will replace the affected part under warranty or the RAM under warranty and give a new 1 year warranty on the replacement RAM (ofcourse their warranty terms and conditions would apply for parts, as to what gets replaced under warranty and what doesn’t).

Also the latest notebook machines from Apple have a tleast 1 GB RAM pre-installed, so you wouldn’t need to buy more RAM for normal usage.

Check out Bawany Technologies also,

http://www.bawanytech.com/

I dealt with them recently. Very friendly people!

@am4tl: Most of the Notebooks that come from other companies like HP, Dell now come with 1GB as well! It's sort a standard now.

@Original Poster: You have mentioned designing and gaming. I think an HP or Dell laptop will serve you with the same. In Pakistan, Apple's products are being sold for a few thousand rupees more than the International price. Which goes for most of Notebooks/Laptops too but Apple's prices are high already and on top of that few more thousands.

Anyway, Apple MacBook Pro will cost you more than 130,000 Rupees in !@#$. You can get a high end non Apple laptop in 70000 to 80000 Rupees here in Pakistan. If you decide to buy from Dubai, you may get the non-Apple laptop in 60000 to 70000 Rupees range which will have a good Core 2 DUO Processor, 1-2GB RAM (You can always upgrade later as the prices are low now of RAMs) and including a latest Graphics card by NVidia/ATI.

Since, I am getting a generator, I'll buy iMac instead of Macbook Pro (Less expensive with more power).

I've used mac book pro with Leopard installed on it, its just awesome, some of their software are out standing.

But since most of us are windows users, we might find our self trapped.

can anyone guide me as to where i can purchase a MacBook Pro in KHI. (Lahori here in KHI for a while)

Media Center is all out of stock for the near future and Bawany Tech is charging 20-30k extra even for the Gen D MacBook Pro (Current Gen is E)...

any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Yasir

Mac is only good for graphics designing and casual use. If you are a programmer/developer then Mac is a big NO NO. Also most famous games are not for Mac.

Mac is only good for graphics designing and casual use. If you are a programmer/developer then Mac is a big NO NO. Also most famous games are not for Mac.
[/quote]

A lot of developers use Mac. It’s only if you’re a .NET developer that you require MS windows.

can anyone guide me as to where i can purchase a MacBook Pro in KHI. (Lahori here in KHI for a while)

Media Center is all out of stock for the near future and Bawany Tech is charging 20-30k extra even for the Gen D MacBook Pro (Current Gen is E)…

any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Yasir

[/quote]

try marsons and ktf

marsons

5875431 (Head office)

2213780/81/82 (Technocity)

KTF

-

Just wanted to update my previous comments regarding Media Center:

After reading the comments above, the manager of MediaCenter reached out and personally apologized for any shortcomings I had experienced with respect to their service. He explained that my experience was not reflective of what they aspire to provide and provided a convincing argument to that effect. Their technical manager, then went above and beyond the call of duty by arranging to diagnose, repair and return my machine under a extremely tight deadline due to my needs and schedule. I have since received my MBP back and am happy to report that it is working as well, as I could possibly expect it to. For what it's worth, I would like to state that I paid for the service work and did so happily. I have drastically revised my opinion about Media Center and I would strongly recommend, that if you need to purchase any Mac-related hardware you consider Media Center first.

p.s. the technical staff at MC, have got their technical center completely setup and now offers Apple-certified repairs and maintenance to EVERY Apple product, including iPods. So if you have a dead iPod you can now get it repaired locally in Pakistan.

Ask them to get you a shiny iPhone for all the trouble caused! :D

*hugs his iMac*

You can run Windows on an intel mac using Boot camp.

Personally, Apple products look nice but they are over-priced and unless it's the OS that you love and are willing to pay for, the hardware (now with Intel, more than ever)is the same and not worth the premium IMO.

You could buy the same rig whether a desktop or a notebook in half the amount. So unless you're paying twice as much for the OS, it's a bad deal.