APC Smart UPS questions

AoA everyone.

So, a few days ago, I purchased a used 1500 VA APC Smart UPS from a shopkeeper for 12,000. Is that a reasonable price for this UPS or have I been ripped off? The exact model is SC1500ICH.

Coming to the main question, this UPS works fine, gives me 35 minutes backup for my PC (not under full load, just watching movies and stuff), but it doesn't charge off of a 2.4KVa generator that is only running a couple of fans and 5 energy savers. I turned off everything and the UPS was the only thing connected to the generator and it still would not charge. I asked around on the APC forums, and they told me to reduce the sensitivity setting on my UPS, and that then the UPS would charge off the generator.

The problem is that it needs a specific DB9 serial cable to communicate with the PC, and I have no idea where to find that. Someone on this site posted a pinout diagram:

940-0024C.jpg

Would this cable work for my UPS?

What do you guys recommend I should do? Sell this UPS off and get a MacGreen 1200VA one, or try to get this sensitivity thing working (if it will even help)?

Try reversing the wires going to the mains socket from the APC. Alternatively reverse the leads from the generator, running to the junction box.

Aurangzeb

Ok, I'll try that out and update how it went. Thanks :)

[quote=“Ponderer, post:, topic:”]

AoA everyone.

So, a few days ago, I purchased a used 1500 VA APC Smart UPS from a shopkeeper for 12,000. Is that a reasonable price for this UPS or have I been ripped off? The exact model is SC1500ICH.

Coming to the main question, this UPS works fine, gives me 35 minutes backup for my PC (not under full load, just watching movies and stuff), but it doesn’t charge off of a 2.4KVa generator that is only running a couple of fans and 5 energy savers. I turned off everything and the UPS was the only thing connected to the generator and it still would not charge. I asked around on the APC forums, and they told me to reduce the sensitivity setting on my UPS, and that then the UPS would charge off the generator.

The problem is that it needs a specific DB9 serial cable to communicate with the PC, and I have no idea where to find that. Someone on this site posted a pinout diagram:

Would this cable work for my UPS?

What do you guys recommend I should do? Sell this UPS off and get a MacGreen 1200VA one, or try to get this sensitivity thing working (if it will even help)?

[/quote]

For how much would you sell this? Can you pm me? Also if you are interested to sell just let me know if it is programed to charge external battery at higher amps or I would need to get that thing done?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

12k for 1500va theek hain but kuch log 1000va par 1500va ka front panel laga kar sale kar rahe hain

kisi bhai ko pata ho apc 3000va ki price ya homage 3000va ki

[quote=“aurangzebhaque, post:2, topic:19883”]

Try reversing the wires going to the mains socket from the APC. Alternatively reverse the leads from the generator, running to the junction box.

Aurangzeb

[/quote]

So, I tried doing what you said, but no difference. The UPS keeps switching from battery to generator and back again, so I just unplugged it to avoid damaging the relay with the rapid switching.

[quote="yaskhan, post:4, topic:19883"]

For how much would you sell this? Can you pm me? Also if you are interested to sell just let me know if it is programed to charge external battery at higher amps or I would need to get that thing done? Sent from my GT-I9300 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

[/quote]

Of course I wouldn't sell it for less than 12 :P Just got it a few days ago. I'm not aware if it's programmed to charge an external battery at higher amps.

[quote="Ali05314, post:5, topic:19883"]

12k for 1500va theek hain but kuch log 1000va par 1500va ka front panel laga kar sale kar rahe hain

kisi bhai ko pata ho apc 3000va ki price ya homage 3000va ki

[/quote]

Acha acha, phir to theek hai. I checked its model number as well, it seems that it is the 1500va model.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on where to get the cabling for this UPS? Or do I have to order the components and connectors and assemble my own connector?

The most probable reason for UPS shut off could be the frequency of generator output.. check if it is 50Hz.. if it goes beyond 52hz, it would damage all equipment..UPS wont charge at that frequency.

price is low for what you bought.. it should be 15k and above in current season..

the proper model for the smart APC 1500 is SUA 1500i ...this one retails for the above mentioned price..

You donot need the cable...instead check generator output.. or try turning apc on on another generator.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:7, topic:19883”]

The most probable reason for UPS shut off could be the frequency of generator output.. check if it is 50Hz.. if it goes beyond 52hz, it would damage all equipment..UPS wont charge at that frequency.

price is low for what you bought.. it should be 15k and above in current season..

the proper model for the smart APC 1500 is SUA 1500i ...this one retails for the above mentioned price..

You donot need the cable...instead check generator output.. or try turning apc on on another generator.

[/quote]

Oh, ok ok. But all other equipment runs fine on the generator, including my PC. Wouldn't the PC also refuse to run if the output wasn't 50 Hz? Also, a regular DMM can't check frequency of the output, can it? I'd need a new counter to measure that.

Yeah, the price might be low because this is one of those server mounted UPS's, not the SUA 1500i that I should have bought...

Alright, I'll try it on a different generator.

Server mounted are even more expensive as they are more robust. and weigh a lot

APC is designed to provide the cleanest electricity no matter what.. all other equipment even works as low as 150V in PK yet APC would shut down at 180V . PC and all other universal equipment is designed to work with a very wide range of voltages so it does work albeit with damage to components,..Frequency is only an issue with generators. you should check into that first. so that problem can be isolated.

Ok ok, I'll do that soon as I locate an appropriately priced frequency counter or get an electrician to do it for me.

Unitee - 203 is the best for price..and features..

For a UPS to give a clean output, it should receive cleaner input for charging. On gensets - smaller ones, frequency or voltage vary a lot. A good UPS shall start charging when genset is switched "on" but due to dirty input electricity, it shall cut the current and switch to battery. This cycle continues. Hence the tick tick sound you hear repeatedly.

You should put a servo motor stabilizer between UPS charging current wire and Wapda source. Make sure that the stabilizer is of bigger capacity than the load supported by your UPS. A memeber tried this, and was successful. I read about it a couple of days ago.

There is an alternative. UPS chargers generally use around 300 watt for charging current. To charge UPS on genset current, you need a single constant/non-varying load which is bigger than UPS charging current requirement. In my example, you can use a 400 watt (single tube) flood light or bit bigger . Refrigerator shall not work because it switches on / off according to temperature settings. Desktop computer does not work either because its power usage changes randomly.

Dont forget to post the results.

Already tried it with a small stabilizer (but it wasn't a servo motor stablizer). I'm waiting for the arrival of a new generator that should be here within a week. When it gets here, I'll try out your suggestions and post back with the results. Thanks for the help :)

P.S EID MUBARAK!

^ you are right, stabilizer only regulates voltages, doesnot regulate frequency of current produced.. for that there are electricity filters needed to be installed at the end of generator output so that cleaner electricity is produced and forwarded to appliances.

Servomotor or relay stabilzers are not different in their function.. they do the same thing with same results in a different manner.. the output is same no matter relay or servo was used. so you donot need to worry about that.

Ok ok. Yeah, I read that the only difference is that servo motor stabilizers are used for applications that need much higher wattage capacities right? What about the electricity filters you mentioned? Are they practical to use or are they expensive/difficult to install?

For Filters

Practical YES

Necessary Not always

Expensive Depends on what you want from it

Installation Moderate to Difficult..

Servo are used where the fluctuation of voltage is very high... they can even go as low as 140V... relay based dont have that much or even half the flexibility. but they are very rapid in response , so most suited for fridges, freezers, AC, TV, and sensitive electronics... Servo are more suited to UPS and where rapid voltage change ould not harm appliance much.

Ahhh. Thanks for explaining the difference b/w servo and relay stabilizers :)

You said that filters aren't always necessary, but say that I want to install electricity filters to the output of a 4 KVa genset, what would be the cost to have it done by a qualified person?

for that huge kva load, very very very expensive.. very very very

filters are only meant for smaller outputs within 1-2kva at max.. that is why they are installed in upses mostly which already have refined circuits and little little or no filtering.. to install a complete filtering system, you would be busting your chops with money spent

it would be much much superior solution to either go for a larger capacity quality UPS / Inverter, or go for solar.

Ah! Ok ok. Well, I was just concerned about my PC, but that's protected a little by the APC UPS. Hope this UPS likes the output of the new generator

Well, I just tested the UPS on a new Elemax SH7600EX generator, and I'm glad to say it charges fine! The issue was with the old chinese generator I believe. The UPS starts charging immediately and continuously with the new generator :D Thanks for all the help, especially Farhan_ds bhai.