Anyone used the A4tech HD800 headphones?

How good are they? For music and movies. I have already spent 6000rs on Razer Barracuda so i dont want to spend too much.

The sound quality is awesome but the material used is crap. You're better off with HD-200.

The quality is top-notch, as far as the sound quality, voice cancellation etc. are concerned. But be warned that they are fragile and break very easily. The material used is extremely cheap. A4Tech had to cut costs somewhere and that's where they did it. Even with careful handling, it has broken for many members who frequent at our IRC channel, namely Specter, SaadIbrahim, and Abbas. I have hands-on experience too as my hd-800 broke too.

I would recommend that you go for HD-200 instead.

mines on life support :D its been running with the help of elfy and wire soldering, believe me this *hit is very fragile, i have heard the hd200 is more sturdy but yea overall a4tech pruducts are pretty fragile

edit: oh yea the sound quality is awesome but you will get the same sound quality with HD200

oh yea mine aint working currently.. will get wire soldered again 9.9 the next time it breaks i am getting an hd200

If you get the same sound quality with HD200 and HD800 then what is the difference between the two?

^ as mentioned by people before the HD200 are much more well built and arent as fragile as the HD800

oh really... i had an hd200 and i gave it away... i was thinking of getting an hd 800 .... the sound is the same so i think i should get the hd200 again as they didn't break for me after 6 months of use

Well, there must be a difference between the two for A4tech to label one as HD200 and the other HD800. Are you saying that the only difference is cosmetic? Does HD800 offer anything extra, software wise or improved sound quality or mic quality?

If not then why would anybody spend extra to get HD800, as the price of HD200 is usually lower then that of the HD800.

HD800 is a great headphone sound quality wise.

I'm currently using my second HD800 that i bought last month,, the first one got shaheed a while back as the damn things are too fragile.

I started noticing dim cracks appearing even in this current piece, and applied some superGlue onto it.

I havent tried hd200 but as the model number is lower, its ought to be cheaper and sound quality will be compromised.

i have and HS800 also, which is a non premium version of the hd800, it doesnt have surround sound and all the shiny features, but for some reason its way durable build wise, even though the shape and structure is the same as hd800. you can go for hs800 if you want a bit lower sound quality, ..mostly sound is the same, its just the bass that improves with hd800.

Me, Asad_N, isharis, SaadIbrahim, specter , we all tried hd800 and loved the sound quality.

I am surprised A4Tech made them so fragile. My Sony MDR-X200 headset has fallen more time than I can count but they still perform as well as new and there is no physical damage on the surface. The only degradation after 3 years of regular usage happened to the earpads which are worn out now.

yeah Asad, for some reason all HD800 have this built in fragility :S ..the only downfall of such a great headphone.

how much did ur MDR-X200 cost you? is it available locally?

ever since i switched to my first HD800 , i rarely turn on my 4.1 surround system now. headphones are THE listening device for me now :)

I don't recall exactly now... probably US$35 and I got it from Dubai on my way back from UK.

Actually , I was looking to buy a headphone and I went to a shop in Islamabad and they had various A4tech headphones. I asked the shopkeeper which one is the best and he pointed to the HD800. I was planning to buy this but after reading the reviews here I am not sure anymore.

As far as the A4tech's website is concerned, it appears that there is no difference between the HD200 and HD800 performance wise, just the difference in shape. HS800 on the other hand is not a surround sound headphone and it clearly has lower specs then HD800

See HD200 http://www.a4tech.com/ENNEW/product.asp?cid=66&scid=67&id=441

See HD800 http://www.a4tech.com/ENNEW/product.asp?cid=66&scid=67&id=456

See HS800 http://www.a4tech.com/ENNEW/product.asp?cid=66&scid=67&id=457

Now, I have a good quality sound card in my laptop and the card has the ability to generate a virtual 5.1/7.1 surround sound, so I do not need the surround sound capability from A4tech software. If you take the surround sound out then is there a difference between the sound quality between HD800 and HS800 / between HD200 and HS800?

and what about the durability of HS800?

HS800 is lowest in price, then comes HD200 and then HD800.

@Raza, you wont be able to enjoy the surround sound feature of your sound-card on a cheap headphone.

you CAN go for the HD800 if you can keep it with care. Its a very nice headphone and sounds like bells ringing in heaven.

HS800 is durable, working fine after 2 months of use. I dont like HD200's shape, very 'cheaply' designed in my personal view.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

@Raza, you wont be able to enjoy the surround sound feature of your sound-card on a cheap headphone.

you CAN go for the HD800 if you can keep it with care. Its a very nice headphone and sounds like bells ringing in heaven.

HS800 is durable, working fine after 2 months of use. I dont like HD200’s shape, very ‘cheaply’ designed in my personal view.

[/quote]

Thanks… But I was under the impression that HD800 was a USB headphone and the sound is generated by the A4tech software and it bypasses your built in sound card. HS800 on the other hand uses the built in sound card.

I personally wanted to get HD800 but after the opinions on its durability and the fact that my sound card will become useless, I am having second thoughts. If you compare just the stereo (2 channel) output of the HS800 and HD800, which gives you better sound quality? If there is no noticeable difference between the sound quality, then I will opt for HS800 and use my sound card.

Also, some users above mentioned that HD200 was better built then HD800 (durability wise). I am not concerned too much with cosmetic shape as long as the headphone gives me good sound and is durable.

well i've tried hs800 and hd800 side by side, hd800 always has the upper hand, but thats caz you pay almost double for the hd800.

yes, HD800 uses its only built sound device. and thats a great thing. because, atleast in vista, once you plugin the hd800 and select it as the default device, after that it becomes a breeze, you can use the hd800 for say like skype, then take it out if you wanna use ur speakers. the next time you plug it in, the hd800 automatically takes over as the primiary sound device.

for me its much easier compared to the regular 2-wire headphone. i just hot-swap the hd800 b/w my desktop and notebook whenever i need to and it works like charms.

but yeah, if you want to compromise a bit on sound quality, hs800 is a very good alternative. and that way you can use ur built in sound system.

but , nowadays EVERY mobo has 5.1/7.1 built in sound support, that shouldn't stop you from getting a good headphone! :)

^ Thank you Abbas. I am going to hold on the purchase of a head phone for now, as I have a friend coming back from US next month and I will try to get a good quality headphones from there. If not then I will see what options are available here in Pakistan.

Thanks… But I was under the impression that HD800 was a USB headphone and the sound is generated by the A4tech software and it bypasses your built in sound card.

[/quote]

isn’t it true??? dats the only reason i hav never choosen usb headphones

well i’ve tried hs800 and hd800 side by side, hd800 always has the upper hand, but thats caz you pay almost double for the hd800.

yes, HD800 uses its only built sound device. and thats a great thing. because, atleast in vista, once you plugin the hd800 and select it as the default device, after that it becomes a breeze, you can use the hd800 for say like skype, then take it out if you wanna use ur speakers. the next time you plug it in, the hd800 automatically takes over as the primiary sound device.

[/quote]

Why pay double price just to be able to switch between speakers and headphones? You can do that with just Rs. 20. All you need is an audio splitter. You can buy it from any computer shop or good hardware stores.

Using this device you can plug in both the speakers and the headphones into the same audio jack of your sound card. the same sound will then emanate from both the speakers and the headphones so you don’t have to constantly change wires.

Its the middle one in the top picture:

http://www.hotfrog.com/Companies/www-724depot-com/Headphone-Y-splitter-Adapter-3-5mm-To-2-5mm-2-5-3-5-from-724depot-com-12617