Anybody Who Truly Knows Thae Usage "norton Ghost"?

I think VIRUSES are a big problem for all computer users and we dont want to lose data after reinstalling the windows!!!!\

So any1 who has expertise in using NORTON GHOST...he must explain it step-by-step....

or I also want to ask that if we are not able to remove the VIRUS from our computer with the help of different ANTIVIRUS in the markets and we also dont know the VIRUS NAME then what is the LAST RESORT????

well, i've been using and MS-DOS version of nortons ghost.

i use it for backing up my OS

> after a fresh windows install and installing all drivers (while the windows and pc is clear of all viruses)

> you startup the pc with a bootable disc, in ms dos mode run the ghost.exe, select to create partition from disk option ... select the specific partion, C drive in this case.

> it'll ask you where to save the GHOST IMAGE (*.gho) file of the disk, point to some other partition like d driver for example

> select compression if you want to decrase the image size (otherwise it'll be the same size as the size of the C drive, as it backup all data from c driver)

when image is created, you can roll back to that point at any time.

say, after using one month, your pc gets corrupted and you want to install a fresh OS, but thats a PITA, so with Norton Ghost, you just use the GHOST IMAGE u created earlier...

> start up ghost as in first step (i.e. boot into ms dos at startup)

> tell it to use image ...

> tell it the partition you want to install the image onto.

> it used to take less than 5 mins to copy back a 2 GB ghost image of my windows xp, back when i used windows xp.

P.S. seems like with vista my NORTON GHOST wont work caz vista uses NTFS and it doesn't all GHOST to read data off c drive when in dos mode caz some data is protected.

hope this helps

helpful post!!!!!!!!!

i got really great help from this..

thanks..

Well it is good but I've been using Symantec Ghost. It works fine too.

I have virus in my compter and I think so I must reinstall my window.But I have certain engineering softwares and some other things which I dont want to lose afetr reinstalling window because I have lost the CD of those softwares....

Can I keep my this window version intact by usin GHOST trick???

If so,how...???

Please guide me in this regard as I dont want to lose those softwares which are not easily available in the market.....and also their setups cant be copied on USB or such kind of stuff....

So plz help in this regard....

thanks..

i hardly install windows anymore.. thumbs up to ghost..2003 version

clean new windows install.. load all average software u use always.. install drivers/printers.. make ghost..save it on another partition... when hit by virus or corrupt files.. just backup ur data from that partition excluding windows itself.... n restore ghost in 5 minutes..

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I have virus in my compter and I think so I must reinstall my window.But I have certain engineering softwares and some other things which I dont want to lose afetr reinstalling window because I have lost the CD of those softwares…

Can I keep my this window version intact by usin GHOST trick???

If so,how…???

Please guide me in this regard as I dont want to lose those softwares which are not easily available in the market…and also their setups cant be copied on USB or such kind of stuff…

So plz help in this regard…

thanks…

[/quote]

well as you are saying that you’ve a virus in your system,so ghosting it in its current state would be futile exercise , now you want to save those hard 2 find installed softwares as well(whats their names ?) so only option you’ve got is that you clean you system and get rid of these viruses,either manually or by using antivirus/antispyware and then once its disinfected then you can make a ghost using norton 2003 like lash mentioned from windows it self,without booting to dos on a different partition or different physical drive

P.S. seems like with vista my NORTON GHOST wont work caz vista uses NTFS and it doesn’t all GHOST to read data off c drive when in dos mode caz some data is protected.
[/quote]

any Version of Ghost Which Supports NTFS ?:o (Coz i have 3 Partition and All is NTFS)

any Version of Ghost Which Supports NTFS ?:o (Coz i have 3 Partition and All is NTFS)

[/quote]

well i’m sticking to my outdated copy of norton ghost, caz i dont want to install the latest ghost now… as Vista is way stable now, my current installation is nicely working for the last 6+ months.

i used to ‘ghost’ alot when i had xp installed.

now even if this installation stops working, (Which i hope it shouldn’t caz too many updates, SP1 stuff, some modifications etc are installed, along with loads of my fav s/w app) i’m thinking about upgrading back to vista 64-bit.

okay..actually,there is no virus in my computer rather they are SPYWARES and MALWARES that are irrritating me alot....

I have tried many ANTISPYWARES but even then it is futile....AVG etcetra etcetra....

how should I remove them???

I am not finding any way to do that...

dogarsahab, the best idea would be to install a fresh window, then make a ghost and install an antivirus along with the window, keep updating the antivirus regularly, that way you'd be safe and free of viruses. try it

okay…actually,there is no virus in my computer rather they are SPYWARES and MALWARES that are irrritating me alot…

I have tried many ANTISPYWARES but even then it is futile…AVG etcetra etcetra…

how should I remove them???

I am not finding any way to do that…

[/quote]

have you tried brute force uninstaller. its very good to get rid of spy wares. its a small utility, very effective.

the latest version of ghost supports VISTA but its really crapy i dont like it..... the older versions are better.....

@ kratos

I want to ask the usage of BRUTE FORCE UNINSTALLER..

Do we have to write the spyware infected files in SCRIPT TO BE EXECUTED dialog box in the software..

If it is so,then the file doesn't get deleted...

guide me through the usage of this software....

I am not able to run the ghost setup!!!when I statrt gost setup by writing ghost.exe it gives the messaGe of INVALID PATH!!!!

i am not able to start the ghost setup!!!!

also tell me any other option!!!

Ntfs z better than fat for runing XP but here in posts guys hav written that ghost dsnt work 4ntfs file system so is there any similar software that can b used on ntfs & also giv link 4full version of that programe.I was looking 4norton ghost14 but it z shareware.

Ntfs z better than fat for runing XP but here in posts guys hav written that ghost dsnt work 4ntfs file system so is there any similar software that can b used on ntfs & also giv link 4full version of that programe.I was looking 4norton ghost14 but it z shareware.
[/quote]

u use it for what regular backups or for those sysrep installations?

i want 2use it 4sysrepairs more like the guy in abov posts has explaind dat wen u instal new windows it can create image or make clone of that&wenever Somthng goes wrong in windows then u can bring original state back w/ d help of d image or file u creatd aftr instalng fresh windows.