Any amd fans on the forum,,need suggestions

well iam thinkin of switching my compputer to amd,,ie i will sell my e2140 dual core pentium with mobo and would like to buy a powerful amd board, pro..

any suggestions welcome

so far iam leaning towards

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX

For now, Intel is the king. It would be better to go for Intel. AMD's Phenom processors suffer from the TLB issue. Furthermore, buying Intel just makes more performance-price sense now.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

For now, Intel is the king. It would be better to go for Intel. AMD’s Phenom processors suffer from the TLB issue. Furthermore, buying Intel just makes more performance-price sense now.
[/quote]

agreed

I thought TLB issue effected 9000 series phenom not 8000's (especially AMD Phenom 8450 Toliman 2.1GHz Socket AM2+ 95W)

i will look into this..

what's the problem with intel?

INTEL is the best!...

yes even i drooled on the price of phenom and i know that they have no that weird problem that was giving them bad name!

BUT INTEL ALL THE WAY! ALL THE DAMNED WAY!!!!

wths tht u r askin again?????

new phenoms have fixed the tlb issue, read this

+++++++++++++

TLB errata

Before Phenom's release, it was discovered that a bug in the translation lookaside buffer (otherwise known as a TLB) in AMD's quad-core processors could cause a system lockup in rare circumstances. Phenom is affected by this bug up to and including stepping "B2" and "BA". There are BIOS and software workarounds to prevent this problem from occurring by disabling the TLB, although the workarounds typically employed incur a performance penalty of at least 10%.[9]

This penalty was not accounted for in early pre-release previews of Phenom, so the performance of early Phenoms delivered to customers is expected to be somewhat below the benchmarks in these previews. Processors with the bug fixed have "50" as the last two digits of the model number, for instance 9650, with stepping "B3" was released March 27, 2008.[10]

An AMD subsidiary has released a patch for the Linux Kernel,[11] which it said has received "minimal functional testing", to overcome this bug by software emulation of accessed- and dirty-bits causing little performance loss.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

therefore the X3 8650 and 8450 dont have tlb problem

intel is the king but amd is cheaper... that is the reason why i wanted to go for it

new phenoms have fixed the tlb issue, read this

+++++++++++++

TLB errata

Before Phenom’s release, it was discovered that a bug in the translation lookaside buffer (otherwise known as a TLB) in AMD’s quad-core processors could cause a system lockup in rare circumstances. Phenom is affected by this bug up to and including stepping “B2” and “BA”. There are BIOS and software workarounds to prevent this problem from occurring by disabling the TLB, although the workarounds typically employed incur a performance penalty of at least 10%.[9]

This penalty was not accounted for in early pre-release previews of Phenom, so the performance of early Phenoms delivered to customers is expected to be somewhat below the benchmarks in these previews. Processors with the bug fixed have “50” as the last two digits of the model number, for instance 9650, with stepping “B3” was released March 27, 2008.[10]

An AMD subsidiary has released a patch for the Linux Kernel,[11] which it said has received “minimal functional testing”, to overcome this bug by software emulation of accessed- and dirty-bits causing little performance loss.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

therefore the X3 8650 and 8450 dont have tlb problem

intel is the king but amd is cheaper… that is the reason why i wanted to go for it

[/quote]

But it is no more cheaper when it comes to similar stock performance. Even with overclocking, Intel wins the race with huge overclocking potentials especially in its C2D E series.

dude wth ever u guyz say or think.. i wud always go 4 amd.. there cicuitry is always better than intels just search "intel vs amd pipelines" and ull c

dude wth ever u guyz say or think… i wud always go 4 amd… there cicuitry is always better than intels just search “intel vs amd pipelines” and ull c
[/quote]

That might have been true for old Northwood and other P4 cores but Core 2 duo is superior.

dude wth ever u guyz say or think… i wud always go 4 amd… there cicuitry is always better than intels just search “intel vs amd pipelines” and ull c
[/quote]

i was a big fan of AMD myself before 2 but now some of their latest processors just arent doin it for them

man.. even amd sli/crossfire motherboards (which i went to the market today to ask around about) are cheaper...about 1000 - 1500 rs. and if u know somebody on the inside of the amd dealership they can get u a very good price on an amd mobo, pro combo.

the cheapest amd crossfire mobo starts from 7500 rs while intel starts from 9000 rs. dont go for galaxy rates,,u have to go to the market to check some stuff out yourself,, and i never trust galaxy rates anyways..opteron and phenom rates r down as well..amd is lookin sweet

man… even amd sli/crossfire motherboards (which i went to the market today to ask around about) are cheaper…about 1000 - 1500 rs.
[/quote]

which Market dude ? :o please give the name of the MarKet …

man… even amd sli/crossfire motherboards (which i went to the market today to ask around about) are cheaper…about 1000 - 1500 rs.
[/quote]

which Market dude ? :o please give the name of the MarKet …

for amd crossfire mobo, unicetre karachi, ground floor

for asus intel crossfire mobo, 2nd/3rd floor technociti opp unicentre karachi

for amd pro regal trade computer market, saddar karachi

for amd crossfire mobo, unicetre karachi, ground floor

for asus intel crossfire mobo, 2nd/3rd floor technociti opp unicentre karachi

for amd pro regal trade computer market, saddar karachi

[/quote]

thanKs… :) by the way any Idea of COst for Asus/Intel Crossfire @ Techno ?? bCoz Techno is even more High Priced MarKet then the others… :(

man sometimes iam amazed at the expensive mobo people buy, i mean if a 9000 rs sli board with raid will do, then why buy a 16000rs mobo..

here are the latest (as of 13 july 08) rates of some sli and crossfire mobo

asus p5k-v sli with raid rs 9800 (techno)

msi k9a2 cf crossfire (amd 790x chipset) rs 8500 (there was another crossfire amd board for 7500 but they r sold out) (in uni)

xfx nforce 680ilt sli rs 9000 (in uni)

by the way,,how is a opteron in gaming,,is anybody using that on the forum

i've heard AMD fans are great, so can u guys tell me how to install an AMD fan inside my INTEL system's casing .... for cooling you know :P

jokes aside, AMD has had alot of issues with its CPUs recently, INTEL has beaten them in every stage in the last year or so. AMDs CPUs are released with delays and some have got bugs like the TLB issues.

if u just want cheap performance/watt or lower buying price then go for AMD. if you want stability, go for INTEL. Intel rocks for now.

dude go to ideal distribution... they deal in AMD and amd asus boards... there office is :

201, 2nd Floor

Landmark Plaza

Near Jang Press

I.I. Chundrigar Road

Ph. +92(21) 111 435 435

[/quote]