Another Solar power setup :)

Currently ongoing installation of an upto 1500W Solar system..

Technically not "another" but 1st on this forum, but part of many other commercial and home installations and setups already done..

this was at the home, very high quality components , and extra expenses were bourne for long life of setup..

planning done was to get durable and quality infrastructure at start, and leave provision for future upgradeability so more power can be added at anytime by just screwing the new panels.

EPSolar Charge controller at 60 amps, and 6x solar panels.. very thick grade iron angle was used for making the frames to last the life of panels with quoted life of upto 20-25 years..metal thickness increased for durabilty , fixed with hot dipping nuts and bolts to prevent corrosion.. galvanized bolts were used elsewhere..tin coated pure copper thimbles all the way..pure copper 25mm super flexible wire (the most expensive and the best quality thing bought in all this :D ), PVC piped and pack taped all the way. internally connected to an APC ups with a voltage sensitive shift device to shift to wapda at night.. 35mm copper wiring between battery and ups for power draw..

the future upgrade plans include our own import of large capacity Sacred sun dry batteries to replace the current ones..and 4 more panels to power fridge and freezers as well as using the ocassional istri and washing machines and room cooler.

Planning took 3-44 days alone to requirements of users..frmaes making took longer than expected due to loadshedding and other works..installation took 2 days of fitting and wiring..

Enjoy :)

DUE TO $#%$#&^#$&% limits of forum to not post mmore pics in in post, which doesnot even make sense since all these are external links..splitting the pics in 2 posts.. DAMN FORUM &%#&%$#5

20140313_163819_zpse4f994d6.jpg

20140315_161412_zps015caf2e.jpg

20140319_175044_zps19c8121b.jpg

20140319_175031_zps0f6210a2.jpg

20140315_161928_zpsdf1d0d8b.jpg

20140319_180157_zps6dd69318.jpg

20140319_182858_zps51588d5d.jpg

20140319_183028_zpsb7baeb02.jpg

20140315_161919_zps531f0af5.jpg

@farhan Congrats brother for such a wonderful setup, now let the heat and loadshedding come at you lol. How many panels are used and what is the watt rating of each panel and total wattage of system, r therse panels chinese or canadian or indian?? currently u r using exide batteries instead of importing batteries why dont you try out volta/osaka VRLA batteries they advertise these batteries for solar system... sorry for bombarding you with questions but what is the total cost of the setup ??

1 - there would be no heat nor loadshedding in day time any more :)
2 - 6 panels currently.. expandable to 10 panels, as all frames are already fitted, just buy and screw in the panels.. thats all.
3 - 190watt each panel.. we had 240 w panesl as well but they were higher voltage than needed for our charge controller.. besides 190w were more affordable and since we have plenty of stock, it was easier to get one type panels so that the frames would be identical and no future fitting problems
4 - panels are shanghai solar.. chinese panels are among the highest rated panels worldwide.. all the hype in pakistan created by shopkeepers over candian solar is just hype.. they are great but yingli and shanghai solar panels are on par and equal in life and performance..there are also high roller panels available in our stock which cost a bit less per watt, and carry same warranty.
5 - these are old batteries from old setup as you can see connected with the apc... no buget to upgrade to dry ones now.. besides, we are all out of stock..soon in april, whole line up of sacred sun dry batteries would be coming from factory, Insha-allah..then i would change them to the ones i can afford..
6 - even though volta are by repute good batteries, when we can get proper quality sacred sun batteries why risk such a huge amount on volta.. till there is market and customer feedback from volta we would prefer the tried and tested batteries for ourself as well as our clients.. :)
Remaining pics

20140317_153318_zps6bc21624.jpg

20140317_153300_zpsa355fdec.jpg

20140317_153310_zpsdb493134.jpg

20140322_091425_zps10fa4fd4.jpg

20140322_091438_zpse6e447d3.jpg

20140322_113428_zpsfb5951c1.jpg

20140322_113603_zps1ba90958.jpg

20140322_114119_zps00c7ad41.jpg

farhan the batteries coming next month are these one http://www.sacredsun.com/product_show_229.html if yes then how much AH and what is the price?

How much it costed you?

Sent from my HUAWEI G700-U10 using Tapatalk

@path finder..

different capacity batteries from 100AH to 250AH and higher and cells..AGM and GEL both.. tubular and flat plates also.. so it is difficult to give exact models.

also price is calculated after shipment is received, so cant say anything about it.. panels and charge controllers also coming..

@TA

that is confidential :) LOL... price varies with everyone due to installation variation.. installing is the most costly complicated and difficult portion..however panels at 105rs/Watt. CC was a PWM 60 amps EPSolar at 38k. wire was 25mm at 120rs /foot.. frames cost 5k each including fitting and drilling. thats basic cost.

More pics of updated and cleaned wiring will be posted soon :)

I am thinking to start using solar power but from minimum initial cost.

Ups should be charge only from solar. No big requirements only 4 fans and 4 savers.

Now confused about initial cost as there are lot of things involved in solar power system. Panels charge controller ups/inverter bla bla.

Note. I don’t have any ups/inverter at the moment.
Just wanted to get rid of generator.

Since lots of people have been asking here and PM me about power production and energy utilization, here is the lo-down..

this pic is a testing load of running every thing in 3 rooms all together.. includes normal yellow bulbs, 23W energy savers, fans, spot lights and TV , amplifier, and 2 chandliers with 12 x 11/9 watt small energy savers..

20140322_113603_zps1ba90958.jpg

as can be seen.. almost 800 Watt power was being produced at that time in evening only, which can go higher depending on sunlight, temp, and load.. so out of 1100 watt peak produce able power (at 100% theoretical efficiency) from 6 panels, 830 watts was being used up in testing from PV directly and still that was evening... as sun light increases in duration in coming months in punjab, aproximately 100watt more can easily be received..

in terms of shopkeepers and solar dukaan advertisements lingo, that roughly calculates to around 10 energy savers at 20 watts, 5 fans at 100w, and a room cooler running all together.which is a stupid calculation since no one except display shops run such appliances..

a reasonable home user can appreciate this better.... a TV, a fridge, 2 tube lights and 2 fans all day continuous..again you normally donot run all this together, and you can add an extension cord and run a washing machine or a water motor in between low load times in morning times as well from free solar power..that is what i am planning to do..

Dear Farhan,

Apart from the some advantages of MPPT over , if we use PWM near Vmp, is there any significant different between them with regard to Pakistan conditions.

@TA

I think your stated load is less than 600watt max so an inverter of 1kw will work great for you even with some space available to be on safer side of inverter load capacity.

I think farhan can give you all needed info as he is more into this thing with good personal experience.

Yes 600 watt max. That too only for load shedding times. I hope farhan will reply soon as he will get time.

[quote=“tufail_74, post:10, topic:20894”]

Dear Farhan,

Apart from the some advantages of MPPT over , if we use PWM near Vmp, is there any significant different between them with regard to Pakistan conditions.

[/quote]

practically speaking, MPPT are best suited for Grid tie inverters which are not suitable for our PK houses.. for offices they are best cheaper options but not for homes..

MPPT advantages come only if you have small battery storage... in case you have large batteries beyond the required load, you are better off with PWM and saving money for bigger batteries.

that is exactly why we used a PWM in this setup.. this is a 60 amps PWM capable of even running a split ac with ease along with house.. instead of a 60A MPPT which would cost 2x as much ..

[quote=", post:8, topic:20894"]

I am thinking to start using solar power but from minimum initial cost. Ups should be charge only from solar. No big requirements only 4 fans and 4 savers. Now confused about initial cost as there are lot of things involved in solar power system. Panels charge controller ups/inverter bla bla. Note. I don't have any ups/inverter at the moment. Just wanted to get rid of generator. Sent from my HUAWEI G700-U10 using Tapatalk

[/quote]

[quote=", post:12, topic:20894"]

Yes 600 watt max. That too only for load shedding times. I hope farhan will reply soon as he will get time. Sent from my HUAWEI G700-U10 using Tapatalk

[/quote]

i have no idea what you intend to ask.. you say you are confused... i dont know what to reply to that..

Confused about parts which includes in solar power system. If i will get straight idea that what will be cost to install a 600 watt system my confusion will go away. :-)

[quote=“Pathfinder, post:4, topic:20894”]

farhan the batteries coming next month are these one http://www.sacredsun.com/product_show_229.html if yes then how much AH and what is the price?

[/quote]

I have bought the Sacred Sun 200Ah Gel battery from Islamabad. contact 051-4859111, ask if they have stock.

[quote=", post:14, topic:20894"]

Confused about parts which includes in solar power system. If i will get straight idea that what will be cost to install a 600 watt system my confusion will go away. :-) Sent from my HUAWEI G700-U10 using Tapatalk

[/quote]

you need to have...

a quality UPS like cyberpower or APC.

Panels as per your needs.. for 600W you need 800W panels minimum.

A charge controller which should allow you to add extra power in future if you need..

Batteries in equal and good condition.

lots of DC wire.

metal Frames for your panels on roof.

General Installation stuff.. which costs from 5k to 15k depending on quality and durability and length of wire..

a Highly skilled electrician.

PS; installed new dry batteries:) pics coming tomorow..

backup over traditional wet batteries is HUUUGE even at much smaller size..

As promised.. New Dry batteries installed.. working perfectly as they should with solar system..

20140327_085533_zps3b03793e.jpg

20140327_085544_zps9fe0bafd.jpg

20140327_085601_zps0384746b.jpg

Farhan bhai mere setup k liye kharcha bata dain kitna tak ho jayega.

2 fans 3energy savers 1tv 1laptop 1 fridge about total cost kitni hogi is setup ki and me 2batteries use karna chahonga. not 4.

all of this will not run on 2 batries at night no matter how large batteries you get..

Fridge is almost 300W.. and even LED TV take upto 150W, if its a CRT then again 300W. fans and lights another 300Watts.. you need a minimum of 1000W, and perhaps 200 watt more just for panels..

again, no matter how much panels you add, you need always huge batteries.. otherwise it wont work in night or cloudy days or winter, and you will end up having using wapda again, so solar power will only save you half the bill..

you must have your own batteries and a quality UPS.. not desi.... this is what you must already have..

panels at 105 rs per watt.. 190watt per panel.. must connect panels in pairs.. 2 4 6 etc

charge controller atleast 30-40 amps..price range from 25-35k depending on brand and features

5000rs for each frame which takes 2 panels.

wapda load switch device around 9k..

wiring and installation, atleast consider 20k.. could be less or more depedning on the length of wire and quality of wire.

do your calculation on what and how much you need.

wiring and installation