Android: what's your flavor?

(any resemblance to Zong's tagline for M9 is not intended).

This is the premise of the thread:

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
I installed Cyanogen Mod on my previous G1, was not really impressed. Sold out G1 after I got Galaxy.

Also installed Cyanogen Mod on my brother's Nexus One, but looks like Cyanogen has some problem with Radio part. When GPRS is on and you are downloading something (like a 5Mb mail attachment) and someone calls you, it appears to him that you are powered off. However you can make an outgoing call during such download.

Can you do me a favour by checking this on your Desire (if you are still on Cyanogen), I want to make sure if it is a problem of Cyanogen MOD (in general) or only a problem of Cyanogen for Nexus One , or our Nexus One itself has some problem

Thanks.

BTW: Can we communicate on email (I think nobody here would be interested in our discussion on our mututal interests)

[/quote]

Here's the answer: the problem is an inherent issue with GPRS/EDGE and isn't related with Cyanogen. It happened on my Nokia S60 too when I was listening to the internet radio (testing purposes).

I tried Cyanogenmod's Gingerbread - I like GB but not the mods. I really wanted to move over to a modded version of GB but there are issues left, right and center...until the OTA for the NExus One doesn't come out, many things won't work.

So I reverted to Cool Sense Z (not HD) v3. Apparently, there was an issue creating bootloops...but the Z version's been fixed. I use a script that enables A2ext (or whatever it is - the 3-partition one) and well... they say it's supposed to make your phone fly... let's see. I just got it installed.

Why settle for 2.2? Well - LED notifications work PROPERLY... heck, many things work properly. It's the right combo of hardware and software. I tried other GB ROMs but something or another is... well... missing.

Heck, I've gone to the point of setting S-OFF and then back to S-ON, install Clockworkmod3 in like 2 hours (it's tough without a rewritable CD or USB around), getting that I can't downgrade to 2.2 because of some script feature not present in CWM3 yada yada yada... ugh don't ask! It was torture! I woke up, turned my laptop on straight away, and started. Heck, I need A FRIGGIN' SHOWER!!! (it's night now).

Speaking of a shower, I'm going to get one now.

Grrr... Why can't the GB OTA come out ALREADY?!

I own a Galaxy S and using Darky's Gingerbread ROM. Its perfect for me and I am very happy with it.

Although I like the HTC Desire / HTC Nexus One in the sense that plenty of ROMs are out there for these two devices.

Just thinking these days to make some setup and modify the available ROMs to my own taste....but it needs good amount of time.

I actually don’t require having the Cyanogen because of inconsistent. Though I tried it once, it fails from making active incoming and outgoing calls. However, Galaxy S was efficient enough same with the HTC desire as well.

I just moved over to another DHD ROM - and apart from the lags in between (I don't know why it happens - I'll try reinstalling the ROM again and see if that improves anything even tho I highly doubt it), I think it's probably the best thing that's on my Desire. I'm using RCModHD (or something like it) with an EXT partition - seems to speed up things quite a bit.

I soooo wish the N1 OTA would come; that's the major thing holding me back from Gingerbread (the camera interface on Cyanogen - or any other GB ROM) is crap compared with HTC's camera interface.

And the one major flaw I see in the Nexus S: no FM radio :P

And the one major flaw I see in the Nexus S: no FM radio :P
[/quote]

You did not notice the other big problem… They also forgot to include SD card slot

Galaxy S2 seems to offer much much improved H/W with dual core 1GHz processor and generous 4.3" super AMOLED with 8MP camera at 1080p video capaility and above that a 1GB RAM. I am keeping my fingers crossed to see it in my hands…

I just moved over to another DHD ROM
[/quote]

Did you ever give a try to MIUI ROM ?

You did not notice the other big problem… They also forgot to include SD card slot

Galaxy S2 seems to offer much much improved H/W with dual core 1GHz processor and generous 4.3" super AMOLED with 8MP camera at 1080p video capaility and above that a 1GB RAM. I am keeping my fingers crossed to see it in my hands…

[/quote]

True - but isn’t 16GB good enough?

I have 720p recording on the Desire - but I still don’t see any point. One, the sound is rubbish. Two, I don’t have a HD-compative TV. Three, it takes up too much space. Four - most of us will watch these videos on our PC - and this is a camcorder, not a movie - so I don’t really see the point of HD.

I’ve kept it on a wide-screen resolution though. The widescreen bit is sorta nice once you get used to it.

Did you ever give a try to MIUI ROM ?
[/quote]

You bet! But I removed it. It was too… iPhone-esque, althouugh I think it’s one hell of a slick ROM. I don’t remember why I uninstalled it… I think it was the camera app, and some missing options in the messages app.

I’m head-over-heels for MIUI - but I think HTC make a more polished ROM in terms of features that are out-of-the-box. And I just can’t get used to Handcent - again, too iPhone-like.

[/quote]

Ya but the Gs-2 isn’t out as yet, probably out in Q3.

Anyhow can you guys tell me what’s the pricing on android phones in Pakistan like,

Thanks

Anyhow can you guys tell me what’s the pricing on android phones in Pakistan like,
[/quote]

Starting from Rs.11,000 ZONG IDEOS

to

As high as Rs.55,000 +

Depends how much you have budget for an Android handset.

BTW: At least I did not find any consolidated list of available android phones + pricing in Pakistan.

mine is strawberry

BTW: At least I did not find any consolidated list of available android phones + pricing in Pakistan.

[/quote]

Yes, I was looking for one too and did not find one, so I started one here:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmaFSzAyMt1NdFBGOWdhaEZPNTF4T2NZN0VGVXVwN1E&hl=en_GB

I’ve set it to be editable by anyone…

What I want in a list is: All decent Smartphones available in Pakistan, don’t even want to see old and obselete models, idea is to have currently available phones listed at various price points.

Yes, I was looking for one too and did not find one, so I started one here:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmaFSzAyMt1NdFBGOWdhaEZPNTF4T2NZN0VGVXVwN1E&hl=en_GB

I’ve set it to be editable by anyone…

What I want in a list is: All decent Smartphones available in Pakistan, don’t even want to see old and obselete models, idea is to have currently available phones listed at various price points.

[/quote]

What a GREAT idea!

I was also looking for such kind of list. I added Ideos to the list, since that’s the only one I know of in Pakistan.

If I have your permission, can I share this link with Pakgamers forum? There is a section dedicated there for android. So I think we will get great input from there.

Starting from Rs.11,000 ZONG IDEOS

to

As high as Rs.55,000 +

Depends how much you have budget for an Android handset.

[/quote]

I was actually getting impressed looking at this video after your told me about Zong Ideos:

until it said 8mb/month which is what an android phone will eat up in a few hours if the mobile internet was on :)

until it said 8mb/month which is what an android phone will eat up in a few hours if the mobile internet was on :)
[/quote]

So you wanted it with Life-Time Free Unlimited connection ? :D

If I have your permission, can I share this link with Pakgamers forum? There is a section dedicated there for android. So I think we will get great input from there.

[/quote]

Sure, of course!

This is an interesting experiment, the first time I’ve made a google doc publicly editable. First I thought to install a wiki, but this is even better.

Sure, of course!

This is an interesting experiment, the first time I’ve made a google doc publicly editable. First I thought to install a wiki, but this is even better.

[/quote]

Thanks. I posted the link on pakgamers. Hopefully, we will have a good list soon.

Coming back to original topic,

On Gingerbread 2.3.3 now. More stable and faster than Froyo.

Device: Galaxy S GT-I9000

^ Is Gingerbread available officially for Galaxy S GT-I9000?

^ Is Gingerbread available officially for Galaxy S GT-I9000?
[/quote]

No - and probabily will not be.

I got a leaked Gingerbread ROM (I think it is actually for Samsung Nexus S) but it runs smootly and very stable on my Galaxy S

but i have heard it causes some problems in wifi and GPS. Is your working fine ?