Android: Upgrading from Gingerbread (v2.3)

What is the best way to upgrade from an old HTC Gingerbread based phone to something new like the S7 or S7 Edge and transfer all contacts, messages, call logs, apps (if possible)?

No point, it will give alot of headaches, the new operating systems demand much higher specifications which i dont think your old HTC will have. I upgraded my old Samsung S3 (1.5 gb ram) and installed Lollipop but it gave me alot of bugs, though i could give with some bugs but the calling stopped, the key pad would not respond, i looked up and it was a legit bug simply because the phone wasn’t compatible and that was a kind of bug i could not live with so i reverted back to original OS.

It’s easy. You need to do the following

Contacts: You are very lucky if all your contacts on old HTC are Google contacts, they can be synced to the Google account and automatically retrieved when you sign-in on new S7 with the same Google Account. If the contacts are Phone contacts, you can export them to a memory card and re-import on S7.

Messages: All messages can be backed up using “SMS Backup and Restore”, a free app by Carbonite. This will create an XML file which you will need to transfer to your S7 and use same software on S7 to restore. All messages + threads will be restored.

Call Logs: All call logs can be backed up and restored similarly using “Call Log Backup and Restore” by Carbonite. Again a free app.

Apps: I am not sure about that, you can Google this bit. But I am sure there is a way.

PS: Don’t forget to install “Real Scientific Calculator” and “ElectroDroid” on the new device. You will thank me later :slight_smile:

Thanks! Will test these apps and update.

Electrodroid is already installed alongside numerous other electronics and component manufacturer apps. :grinning:

I am not asking about updating the OS. I am mentioning upgrading from one device to another and transferring relevant data like contacts, call logs, SMS, etc to accomplish this.

I sync everything to google. so a new android phone is as simple as just signing into my google account.
The things which don’t sync through google I don’t use.

The only thing which was a hassle was photos, which google photos takes care of. Your old phone probably doesn’t run google photos so just usb the photos to your pc, upload to google photos and they will show up on your android phone sooner or later.

The word transfer would’ve been more appropriate for that query lol. You transfer your stuff, you don’t ‘upgrade’ it.

That is why the words upgrade and update are for different use cases.:slight_smile:

Update: SMS Backup and Restore worked well but only transferred SMS, not call logs (for Gingerbread) as claimed on its page in Play Store.

For call logs, didn’t you use “Call Log Backup and Restore” ?

Perhaps something like Titanium Backup? It may need root.

I just go with pen/paper/notepad in laptop and be patient for next 2~3 days. If you have sync then your contacts should sync automatically when you log-in with your Google account in new device. You can check your phone’s contacts online on GMail’s webpage. Google may even try to install some apps to your new phone. I personally use this opportunity to filter out unwanted/out-dated apps and may try new apps for new phone.

By the way, congratulations on S7. :slight_smile:

No syncing since I prefer limiting (not that it matters much) information exposure to Google.

It’s not mine. Doing it for someone else. I prefer the Note series and mine has become quite old by now. I would have upgraded to Note 7 if not for the battery fiasco. :slight_smile:

No such app on the play store from that same vendor. The call log and SMS apps have been combined into one (SMS app) but the combines app doesn’t support call logs for Gingerbread. It doesn’t matter since call logs aren’t as important compared to SMS.

I used to think like that too but eventually I sync my contacts, bookmarks etc. They, the computer programs that automatically gather and analysis information, already know a lot about us then we know about ourselves. It’s not humans but machines; they know way too much about us. There are billions of humans online, it would be impossible for humans to handle that large data. That’s why machines are handling it. Only if humans target us then it can be a problem but machines, oh well, they are sooner or later going to take over and make things “easier”. Maybe they already have and we don’t realize it.

The things, I search in search engines in my mobile, laptop, tablet, anywhere; even when I am not logged in, or even in incognito automatically shows up later as “suggestion or ad” when I am logged-in in different device, different browser. I have tested it many times with different scenarios. They (machines) know me with my pattern of searches and location/sites/pages I visit, apps I use, lots and lots of stuff that we ignore or take as granted.

The only way I found is bit safer is by using a layer of anonymity but then again who knows which servers are listening at exit-points?

In this age, it seems better to stay somewhat transparent to show that you have no bad intentions rather than trying to use anonymity methods to stay anonymous and raise suspicions and then get attentions from humans. As I said earlier, it may get worse if humans are watching our activity.

Welcome our machine overloads. Give in and enjoy your ride. :smiley: