AMD to launch 10 core desktop CPUs in 2012

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

SNAG-0006.png

PC makers may not be selling as many desktops as they used to, thanks in part to higher sales of devices like smartphones and Apple’s iPad. However that isn’t stopping PC processor makers from developing plans to make new and even more powerful PC CPUs. PC Gamer reports that a leaked processor road map from AMD reveals that the company is working on a desktop CPU with a whopping 10 processor cores inside.

The roadmap, which first appeared on a Chinese news web site, shows that the 10 core CPU has the rather appropriate code name “Piledriver”. It’s designed to be a variation on AMD’s previously announced “Bulldozer” CPU which is scheduled to launch with eight processor cores later this year. The Piledriver CPU will also use a new motherboard design called the FM2. The article adds that the roadmap also includes the Trinity CPU/GPU hybrid which is also supposed to use the same design as the Piledriver CPU along with the FM2 motherboard.

In an era where not too long ago having a quad-core CPU inside a gaming PC was a huge deal the prospect of being about to purchase a desktop gaming PC with a whopping 10 core is certainly a major one. It will be interesting to see what the pricing will be on such a processor and if PC game developers will take advantage of having so many cores to work with. AMD recently announced that it had brought in $1.57 billion in revenues for its latest quarter.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/rumor-amd-to-launch-10-core-desktop-cpu-in-2012

[/quote]

Woah, Now i have 2 different thoughts on it, 1: Its gonna be awesome & blow the current Intel i7s into dust. (I know Intel is soon gonna come up with something too, but until then they’re far behind) & 2: Will it be worth the huge price tag it will have & will any application or game be able to fully utilize it until atleast a few years from now, specially considering the fact that majority of even the current games are optimized for dual-core CPUs only, with the rest few being optimized for quad-cores?

Also, some people are saying that its an overkill & things like that, i highly disagree to that, i think technology should keep getting upgraded, for 2 important reasons. 1: Nothing is never too good. & 2: Newer/better technology brings down the prices of previous technologies, so we can just go & buy the older technologies then. :P

NO ONE WILL GONNA BUY AMD PC AGAIN!

I am selling my AMD and nobody is ready to buy it...it seems AMD have no market in Pakistan :(

Great news on amd. It is important to have competition in the international market and amd has not been doing good for a long time now. Bulldozer has been delayed far too long. The more competition we have, the more Intel will be forced to reduce its prices to compete, the more choices we have.

faisal aziz.......what are the configuration of amd pc you are selling, which city are you in? I had a amd 5600+ and asus motherboard and I had no problem in selling it when I wanted to upgrade?

Jack i m from Islamabad

I am selling and specs are

AMD Athelon X2 DC 3800+

Asus M2n-E

Corsair DDR2 DHX 800 2x2GB (total 4GB)

Asus Vento A6 Case

Asus 450 Watt PSU

anyways i m selling this pc and no buyer is interested, according to them there is no worth of AMD PC :o

and everybody is moved to Intel i5 and i7 so who cares about AMD PC :(

P.S. i m increasing my post upto 50 then i will post my pc specs, pics and demand on S/B/T page..

[quote=", post:2, topic:15161"]

NO ONE WILL GONNA BUY AMD PC AGAIN!

I am selling my AMD and nobody is ready to buy it…it seems AMD have no market in Pakistan :(

[/quote]

Well, unfortunately AMD have a worldwide market-share of 33% only, while Intel have the rest. So, most people go with popularity, even though AMDs are cheaper & give better performance for its price in comparison to Intel…

Once AMD processors were not so good in respect of getting extremely hot. But now, they have fixed this issue and new processors are as good as any Intel processor, plus reliable.

AMD is much much better then Intel but the problem is, there is no dealer here in Pakistan...even i purchased to Ideal Comp. in Islamabad so they also windup their business... and Galaxy is also not dealing in AMD :'(

prevail some sense please!

If anyone is selling Pentium 4 or Pentium Ds I'm sure no one would be interested in buying that old stuff now especially when we can get a decent CD or C2D for as little as 4/5k.

Same is the case with AMD's X2 939/AM2 units, they were made to compete with the above mentioned cpus not with the current core i3, i5 or i7 series. Please try to research and understand market trends before branding something as NOT SO WORTH IT BLA BLA.

I for one would be very much interested if anyone here would sell some Phenom 2, Thuban x6 Stuff ;) Just as we're interested in getting good deals over i5/i7 variants.

AMD was king in the Athlon 64 era. Not so now...

Indeed no doubt in that.

It is still quite attractive price/performance wise.

Faisal Aziz: AMD is much much better then Intel but the problem is, there is no dealer here in Pakistan...even i purchased to Ideal Comp. in Islamabad so they also windup their business... and Galaxy is also not dealing in AMD :'(

Bonhomie:I for one would be very much interested if anyone here would sell some Phenom 2, Thuban x6 Stuff ;) Just as we're interested in getting good deals over i5/i7 variants.

.......................................................................................................................................

beliscity and AGN are still dealing in AMD products here in Pakistan. Here you go:

http://www.beliscity.com/computers_desktop_components_processors/c4_71_486/index.html

as you can see phenom II x6 is available in Pakistan still along with motherboard as well on the same website.

The prices do tend to be high though, the dealers need to realize this and bring them down to a cheaper level. Amd is currently competing with intel on the middle and lower lever. As soon as bulldozer hits the market, hopefully this will change.