Amazon Kindle in Pakistan?

Has anyone used a Amazon Kindle 2 in Pakistan? They're not officially avaiable in Pakistan, but given the difficulty (and expense!) buying books in Pakistan I'm planning on getting an ereader.

There are other e-readers, but Amazon has the best selection and prices on books so far.

Worldwide, the Kindle uses 3G or EDGE to access the internet - I was wondering if anyone here knows if it can be hacked to use a local data network?

Before anyone mentions the ipad, it's too fragile, expensive and has a short battery life and other drawbacks to use as a e-reader (at least for someone who reads a lot) - for light reading it's the best - I used the Ipad a bit, and it was really amazing, as long as you're the sort of person who mainly consumes content and doesn't create much.

Strangely enough, I am interested as well in an e-book reader but if only to read those tons of books I have downloaded from the net! I have been looking at the Barnes & Noble's NOOK, which is now priced at $149. It supposedly supports PDF files, which I want. The larger Kindle would be just perfect, but its too pricey.

I have Sony PRS 500, PRS 600 & iPad. PRS 500 works like a charm when I convert PDF into LRF format (converter is easily available, you can do it through Calibre as well). PDFs are very slow on eReaders and it takes ages to load them.

PRS 600 is good with PDF but sometimes screen glare becomes an issue besides not being crisp. PRS 500 screen is amazing and it feels like you are reading paper book.

iPad is amazing when it comes to eBook reading but slightly heavy and gets on to you after long sessions.

I have heard that Kindle 2 is not good with PDF, however, Kidle DX is

Not sure about B&N

Keep in mind, for PDFs that have images, 6" screen will fail hands down if it does not have Zoom function.

KO

Why do you want to to use it through 3G or EDGE, you can simply connect it with your PC and download books through PC. Yes, by buying Kindle you will be paying price for 3G connectivity that you wont be using in Pakistan, on the other hand it might become handy when you travel abroad.

Check out mobileread.com for extensive reviews across the globe

thanks, Kool for your input. Just wanted to know, if one converted pdfs into epub (and is it possible through calibre?), would that read better?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Keep in mind, for PDFs that have images, 6" screen will fail hands down if it does not have Zoom function.

KO

Why do you want to to use it through 3G or EDGE, you can simply connect it with your PC and download books through PC. Yes, by buying Kindle you will be paying price for 3G connectivity that you wont be using in Pakistan, on the other hand it might become handy when you travel abroad.

[/quote]

While pdf reading functionaility would be good, I don’t really need that. Also, best thing for pdfs will be the android powered tablets coming out soon. The ipad rocks for reading pdfs, but I want an android pad.

Don’t really want 3G or Edge, but do want a Kindle since e-ink is good to read on and Amazon has the best bookstore by far, so narrowed it down to the Kindle as the only choice. And since it has edge support, why not enable it to use in Pk?

thanks, Kool for your input. Just wanted to know, if one converted pdfs into epub (and is it possible through calibre?), would that read better?
[/quote]

Conversion from PDF to epub is very good in Calibre. Other softwares are also freely available but Calibre wins hands down. Best part about epub is that its lightening fast on Sony as well as iPad. It feels like you are reading real book.

I suggest, you download Calibre (its free on its website), load any PDF that you have, convert it to epub, and view it in Calibre. Calibre has epub reader. It will show you end product of your conversion for comparision keeping screen difference aside. Let me know if can be of any help

While pdf reading functionaility would be good, I don’t really need that. Also, best thing for pdfs will be the android powered tablets coming out soon. The ipad rocks for reading pdfs, but I want an android pad.

Don’t really want 3G or Edge, but do want a Kindle since e-ink is good to read on and Amazon has the best bookstore by far, so narrowed it down to the Kindle as the only choice. And since it has edge support, why not enable it to use in Pk?

[/quote]

I agree with you that PDF support on iPad rocks.

I also agree that eInk on Kindle is very good. I am sure you would be aware but just wanted to bring it to light that you can access amzon store on other eReaders (iPad) as well OR you buy eBooks using your PC and convert in relevant formats using Calibre.

Honestly, I dont access these eBook stores as all the books/novels/magazine are widely available on internet.

I dont think there is a great demand for the kindle

^ Kindle is extremely popular in the US and Amazon seems to have fairly aggressive plans to expand. The ebook reader market is poised to become highly cutthroat in the coming months and I expect it to peak around the western holiday season (Christmas and such).

Yeah maybe in the Us but here in Pakiland.... dont really think so

^ Ebook readers are going to replace books in the coming years without question. Its a matter of time. There will be a lot of demand for them everywhere. Thats why all these companies are scrambling to get an early lead in the market.

makes life much simpler -- ebooks are light and so easy to carry around and the amount of books one can add is limitless -- well, sort of :) . I'm going for the Nook, thats for sure.

I like the Que. But its expensive and it seems they are having some manufacturing problems seeing how they keep pushing back the release date: http://www.que.com/

Regardless. I'll look into buying an ereader towards the end of this year. I expect lower prices and a wider selection by then.

hope this doesn't sound too dumb, but if I did purchase a nook, would I be able to charge it in pakistan?

^ Depend if the charger supports the standard voltage in Pakistan. If not, you'll need a voltage adapter to transform the voltage to that required by the charger.

It seems it can be charged via USB anyways, so it shouldn't matter that much: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/features/techspecs/?cds2Pid=30195

the Que looks stunning. but surely they wont drop their prices to match the kindle, for the holiday season!... it seems a very upmarket product.

^ Yes its the most expensive of the ereaders. But personally I don't mind spending more if I think the product is good value for money!

^ Ebook readers are going to replace books in the coming years without question. Its a matter of time. There will be a lot of demand for them everywhere.
[/quote]

That’s what they all say :D

How will you give an ebook to your friends and relatives for borrowing? or reselling it?

Publishers need to work these kinks out.

^ There is this nice thing called piracy. A lot of books are available to download over the internet. That includes textbooks, novels, you name it.

Also, I'm not sure if this feature is already available with any of the existing products, but the ereader software might allow you to save the ebooks on your computer and after that you can really do anything you want with it, legally or illegally.

As for lending the books, the Barnes and Noble 'Nook' already has that feature! You can enter a friends username and lend him/her whatever book you want!