Aiwa xr-md110 SPID (Optical Cable) Audio Issue

AoA Everyone,

Hello,

I have aiwa xr-md110 it has SPDIF input and Stereo Speakers out.

It is connected with my ptcl setup box using SPDIF (Optic Connector). Now the issue is that only music and sound effect is coming out from both Left and right speakers.

No Vocal is transmitted or very low vocal are hear able like coming from far away. What could be wrong ? Same happens when i connect this amplifier with SPDIF output of my LED TV and run anything from USB.

its like the amp is treating SPDIF signal as surround sound and only transmitting surround sound of background sound to these speakers?

Pics are attached for connection detail etc .

Please help

PFA pics for reference

https://goo.gl/photos/igNUdvERGCSrMkf16

https://goo.gl/photos/jdQwMtfUSdmYEs3x5

you have almost diagnosed your problem..

the problem with these lowfi and hifi home systems is, that they have their stereo speakers with multi speaker configuration in their boxes so that even 2 speakers give an illusion of surround sound. however optical is providing a full surround signal which either the aiwa unit canot decode or is bypassing the frequency range it canot proces and reproduce accurately.

your easiest options is that you try connection using analogue cables like RCA and other non digital connections.. those are stereo signals only so you should get proper clean sound.

PS: your speakers are too loarge for your unit.. in future try getting a proper amp with atleast 100W out per channel.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:2, topic:22348”]

you have almost diagnosed your problem…

the problem with these lowfi and hifi home systems is, that they have their stereo speakers with multi speaker configuration in their boxes so that even 2 speakers give an illusion of surround sound. however optical is providing a full surround signal which either the aiwa unit canot decode or is bypassing the frequency range it canot proces and reproduce accurately.

your easiest options is that you try connection using analogue cables like RCA and other non digital connections… those are stereo signals only so you should get proper clean sound.

PS: your speakers are too loarge for your unit… in future try getting a proper amp with atleast 100W out per channel.

[/quote]

Thanks for the detailed answer Farhan.

I was also thinking about the same solution because i guess we can’t control this decoding using remote of TV, Setup Box or the Unit itself. Today i checked the Setup box and it has a 3mm jack written AV on it. I’ll use this connection instead. Bye Bye Digital connection :(

PS. You nailed it man. I know its only 30 Watt amp and speakers are 150 watt. Actually my original amp got burned by my friend using 220 Volt input and then i got this one in replacement. At that time prime requirement was to get optic input it is not required anymore. But i’ll get bigger amp now.

BTW. What would be the negative effect of using small amp on big speakers?

Thanks for sharing such a useful information it will really help ...

Update:

After connecting the Unit with AV cable i am getting only chick chick sound :(

Red and White cable or AV is plugged in at Aux Point of the Unit. Now whats wrong :(

@farhan_ds ???

usually AV connections are 3 pin wires. red white and yellow. yello is for video. maybe using your simple red white cable is muffling the video signal since the AV 3.5mm jack usually has 3 rings.. RCA has 2 rings. 3rd is for video.

since your box has an HDMI out, wh not use that and be rid of all your troubles? connect your hdmi to tv.. and see if sound is fine.. and if it is.. which it should be, then simply connect the Audio headphone out of your tv to your amp and all your issues should be solved

there is no problem with low power amp..only sound will be low volume and will produce artifacts and "Phatti howi awaz" crackling when running at full volume.

if amp is over powered that could be issue of blowing speakers up... for your chinese speakers, a 100W per channel out would be fine.. a 110 and 130W PC is also ok, just be sure not to run at extremely loud volumes.

I am using the 3 pin wire that came with the box. Red and white is connected with the amp and Yellow is free.

I'll connect that with TV as well to check if cable is fine.

Well i am already Using HDMI. The sound is fine in TV speakers but as LCD TV speakers are small i am not satisfied with the quality especially while watching movies.

moreover my TV doesn't have HeadPhone / Audio out. :(

Here is my setup

HDMI = Fine Sound in TV

Optic = Surround Only

RCA = Chik Chik only.

post pic of the back and side connections of your TV all inputs outputs.. also mention TV model and a product link if possible

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:8, topic:22348”]

post pic of the back and side connections of your TV all inputs outputs… also mention TV model and a product link if possible

[/quote]

Here you go…

???

Damn forum didnt let me post... got stuck with the submit reply button for 2 days..

you are probably out of luck since this is an old model tv with low specsand thus minimal features.

your only options would be to

1 - either try using the 2 audio RC pins just below the hdmi port as audio out to your amp, which i am not sure will work but since it has nothing marked on it, its worth a try, ..just change audio settings in tv menu to external speakers

2 - buy a new amp which has hdmi in... that will allow you to connect any type of speakers and any type of input and work any combination.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:11, topic:22348”]

Damn forum didnt let me post… got stuck with the submit reply button for 2 days…

you are probably out of luck since this is an old model tv with low specsand thus minimal features.

your only options would be to

1 - either try using the 2 audio RC pins just below the hdmi port as audio out to your amp, which i am not sure will work but since it has nothing marked on it, its worth a try, …just change audio settings in tv menu to external speakers

2 - buy a new amp which has hdmi in… that will allow you to connect any type of speakers and any type of input and work any combination.

[/quote]

Thanks for reply yes its very old an basic and downsized local model that doesn’t have any option other than HDMI.

Well that is a Service Port not a headphone jack or external audio port.

I have to use option 2 i guess :)

not the service port, i can read that ..

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

1 - either try using the 2 audio RC pins just below the hdmi port as audio out to your amp, which i am not sure will work \

[/quote]

below the cable in the pic.. they could be part of the component input, since it isnt clearly writen in the pic..

option 2 is your best bet

[quote=“uzair82, post:, topic:”]

AoA Everyone,

Hello,

I have aiwa xr-md110 it has SPDIF input and Stereo Speakers out.

It is connected with my ptcl setup box using SPDIF (Optic Connector). Now the issue is that only music and sound effect is coming out from both Left and right speakers.

No Vocal is transmitted or very low vocal are hear able like coming from far away. What could be wrong ? Same happens when i connect this amplifier with SPDIF output of my LED TV and run anything from USB.

its like the amp is treating SPDIF signal as surround sound and only transmitting surround sound of background sound to these speakers?

Pics are attached for connection detail etc .

Please help

PFA pics for reference

https://goo.gl/photos/igNUdvERGCSrMkf16

https://goo.gl/photos/jdQwMtfUSdmYEs3x5

[/quote]

You will only get Front Left & Right channels audio when you try to listen 5.1 audio through stereo speakers. Your amp is old but it has no issue. its a STEREO amp thats why only producing front 2 channels. Your amp is not downmixing multichannel audio to stereo so the Center and Rear Left & Right channels merge into Front Left & Right channels. You need to step down 5.1 to Stereo.

Please check and also share a screen cap of STB’s audio menu if its set to 5.1 or Dolby Digital.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:13, topic:22348”]

not the service port, i can read that …

below the cable in the pic… they could be part of the component input, since it isnt clearly writen in the pic…

option 2 is your best bet

[/quote]

All of those are input ports non of these contains output port. This is a very basic (cheap) Made In Pakistan Model they trimmed every option to save cost. That’s why i never bought any Made in PK model afterwards.

[quote=“ShuAK, post:14, topic:22348”]

You will only get Front Left & Right channels audio when you try to listen 5.1 audio through stereo speakers. Your amp is old but it has no issue. its a STEREO amp thats why only producing front 2 channels. Your amp is not downmixing multichannel audio to stereo so the Center and Rear Left & Right channels merge into Front Left & Right channels. You need to step down 5.1 to Stereo.

Please check and also share a screen cap of STB’s audio menu if its set to 5.1 or Dolby Digital.

[/quote]

I was also thinking on the same lines but couldn’t get any setting in STB where it set 5.1 sound. I guess i have to change the amp because its doing the same for component out as well from STB.