AGS Battery Backup Reduced

AoA... Last May,2014 I bought New AGS 175 battery and installed it with Homage UPS, UPS charging rate is set on below 15 amp.

It gave me 5 hr backup on 02 fans and 03 energy savers During hot weather.

When winter started, its utilization reduced to 03 energy savers only and in day time I use to keep UPS switched off.

Now when hot weather again Starts, I shocked to experience that this Battery giving me 1.5 hr backup on 02 fans.

Gravity is normal as it should be,

Battery Mechanic did not check the battery but told me that plates need to be replaced Which will cost me worth 6000/=

Dont know whats wrong with my battery.

Can ny friend know or guide me how to diagnose or detect the actual problem ???

Regards

Reduction in backup time is often caused by rusty terminals. If contact is not good, terminals start heating up as well.

If your battery terminals feels hot or look rusty, then remove battery terminals, clean with hot water, then clean with sand paper. Reinstall terminals and put some thin layer of grease all around the terminals.

Your point is good but I have already cleaned it roughly and applied grees on terminals.

Replace your battery with new one ....

But why replace ??? I want get to know what is actually happend with my battery

I replied u in PW earlier one hour back ... read tht

[quote=“marghuzar, post:3, topic:22115”]

Your point is good but I have already cleaned it roughly and applied grees on terminals.

[/quote]

Grease???? it is an insulator...

Throughly wash scrub clean your terminals.. NEVER EVER apply anything on them.. preferably change clamps with clean ones, or wash with petrol.. use surf to clean battery terminal..

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:7, topic:22115”]

Throughly wash scrub clean your terminals.. NEVER EVER apply anything on them.. preferably change clamps with clean ones, or wash with petrol.. use surf to clean battery terminal..

[/quote]

it depends which typo grease is being applied there , SOME greases are able to conduct electricity well , Besides applying the grease (ordinary one) specially in the cities like Karachi where humidity is higher than norms is a good idea to protect the terminals and made them not able to corrode and react with the humidity that cause sulfates / rusts etc .

There are several types of greases i wont go into details , plz have a look here and share with others too .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone_grease

Plus , there is a technique of applying the grease on terminals too , IF you simply apply the grease on naked terminal and AFTER applying the grease u fix the Wire female terminal then it will be a BAD IDEA because a thin layer of grease will come in between battery terminal and wire female terminal , So always apply the grease AFTER fixing the wire firmly and tightly , once it is done apply a thin layer of grease (preferably a conductive one) over the terminals and try to make it covered all around .

[quote=“marghuzar, post:, topic:”]

AoA... Last May,2014 I bought New AGS 175 battery and installed it with Homage UPS, UPS charging rate is set on below 15 amp.

It gave me 5 hr backup on 02 fans and 03 energy savers During hot weather.

When winter started, its utilization reduced to 03 energy savers only and in day time I use to keep UPS switched off.

Now when hot weather again Starts, I shocked to experience that this Battery giving me 1.5 hr backup on 02 fans.

Gravity is normal as it should be,

Battery Mechanic did not check the battery but told me that plates need to be replaced Which will cost me worth 6000/=

Dont know whats wrong with my battery.

Can ny friend know or guide me how to diagnose or detect the actual problem ???

Regards

[/quote]

this is obvious , it is clear from the scenario you mentioned , your battery was useto of full discharge and charge cycles in last summers , when the winters came the battery was never utilized as much as you were discharging it in summers , the plates of the battery is now having sulfates over them PARTIALLY (not fully) , now do the followings and your battery will b rejuvenated again in sha ALLAH .

Use the battery upto extreme conditions , means aggressively USE it , run the FULL load of your UPS constant u will see your battery is heating up . doesnt matter , Let it get Hot . when it comes to cut off volts turn it off oryour UPS will shut automatically , Let it be .

After that keep it charging fully (and not use until it charged fully - full means 100 percent charged)

after charged , use ur battery like previous behavior means aggressively use it and discharged fully , The charge fully and dont use the battery before it gets fully charged .

u should repeat this process minimum 15 to 20 times .

The second technique is to hook a de-sulfater Thats a small gadget that produce high voltage pulse and use the current / volts from the same battery . But when you apply that gadget remove the terminals of the UPS or it may damage your UPS . Let it be there over night and in morning detach it and use ur UPS , and in the night again hook up the de-sulphater . its price is around 2500 to 3000 Rs but it is worth to have it . I have used it and found VERY effective with one of my spare car battery LED ACID one , also i used it with my computer APC ups's battery and it simply marvelous in results . I actualy borrowed that gadget from my cousin's friend :) its available in karachi saddar area with warranty that if you are not satisfied in a month then cash back , search for the sources .

Third remedy is to charge the battery in a SLOW amperage lets say 5 or less Your battery will b ok in sha ALLAH .

If your UPS has an option to reduce the charging current then reduce it and you will find the difference in backup time - but it will take much time to get charged as compared with the 15 amps before .

several other methods are also there but i think this is enough for your battery , Hope u will find it helpful .

Also measure your UPS charging current is it really 15 amps or not . (just in case)

wow!!!! that was sumthing ...

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:7, topic:22115”]

[/quote]

Though grease is an insulator but it prevents oxidation. I am not asking him to apply grease and then fix the terminals. I am recommending to clean, install/fix terminals and then apply a thin layer of grease across the exposed area of the terminals.

Why "NEVER EVER" ?

^ your recommendations and opinions always do and always will trump any little Knowlege i have.. and i truly honestly mean it :)

the reason for never was.. there have been many instances, especially one at night at 1.30 am when i was awoken by a freidn to go solve a similar problem at his house, where his electrician had put grease on the terminals and now the batteries were dead and no current was passing.. the reason we saw was a typical, mechanic nalaiqi.. putting whole finger in grease and lapping it all over the terminals..so there was total insulation..

this happens a lot, and i am tired of being woken up at nights for these..:(

your point (as always ) is 100% accurate, but majority people dont know abt the proper ideology and principals or technique.. greasing for general people means, taking a bath in grease :P

as for prevention of oxidation.. there are 4 types of terminals avialable,.. the routine 35rs cheapest lowest quality one.. a better quality and heavier, thicker terminal set costing 50-55rs which has P and N marking for proper larger and smaller terminal size.. and they corrode less.. then there are silver colored alloy coated terminals which are rust proof.. cost 100rs and come in packing.. and then the exide and AGS terminals pair, branded and sealed , between 160-200rs per pair..

choosing a better terminal is better than greasing and ruining charging and battery..

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:12, topic:22115”]

as for prevention of oxidation.. there are 4 types of terminals avialable,.. the routine 35rs cheapest lowest quality one.. a better quality and heavier, thicker terminal set costing 50-55rs which has P and N marking for proper larger and smaller terminal size.. and they corrode less.. then there are silver colored alloy coated terminals which are rust proof.. cost 100rs and come in packing.. and then the exide and AGS terminals pair, branded and sealed , between 160-200rs per pair..

[/quote]

Terminal Engineering at it's peak... pretty unusual to hear from a doctor.

I wish to see some of your medical prescriptions, they may look like

DC wire thick guage (1+1)

Uni-T 2300 (check fever two times)

48A External charger (1+1+1) for twenty minutes.

^ didnt get it... was it a joke or a taunt.. :(

Just a joke :-) you got serious?

Sorry if it offended.