Accessories/hw getting burnt, any suggestions?

:|

1 creative adapter (of sub woofer)

2 d-link adapters (of Ethernet Switch)

1 linksys adapter (of router)

1 Supply 350W

1 Supply 450W

above list of accessories have been gone :-s

all of the above were under 1000w UPS (not branded). UPS was hold to manage home electricity in case of load shedding 2 years before. currently dry batteries are assembled with it

I guess the UPS is making trouble. but to mention, all things other than related to the computer are ok with the UPS.

can you guys give any suggestions to avoid more loss?

damn, thats a big hit you go there blow. you sure all these devices are burnt?

I believe it was a power surge of some kind?

Also, have you tested, your desi ups might be providing slightly lower voltage when on battery, that might be the cause, digital devices couldn't have survived...

although i'm not a pro, so just wild guesses here.

all are repairable as their power unit (some capacitors and diods) are burnt , they are repairable easily.

the output of local UPS are not sine wave and also the frequency is not controlled to 50 Hz, and thus it happened.

Hope u will never use tht again with your expensive and sensitive gadgets.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

:expressionless:

1 Supply 350W

1 Supply 450W

all of the above were under 1000w UPS (not branded). UPS was hold to manage home electricity in case of load shedding 2 years before. currently dry batteries are assembled with it

I guess the UPS is making trouble. but to mention, all things other than related to the computer are ok with the UPS.

[/quote]

Get a separate regulated (AVR type - practically any imported UPS will have it) UPS for your PC components and accessories. I would suggest one from APC like the CS650 or similar one with higher capacity.

The transition b/w UPS and WAPDA or else fluctuation on WAPDA line is a possible reason for the trouble.

all are repairable as their power unit (some capacitors and diods) are burnt , they are repairable easily.

the output of local UPS are not sine wave and also the frequency is not controlled to 50 Hz, and thus it happened.

Hope u will never use tht again with your expensive and sensitive gadgets.

[/quote]

+1

NEVER use a DESI UPS…only use pure sine wave one (and those are expensive too).

My friend plugged in his PC to his desi ups…few days later, bit by bit, his hardware failed. In the end he had a fire in his room LOL!

Thank you all

I would suggest one from APC like the CS650 or similar one with higher capacity.
[/quote]

that was the point of using APS, I was also thinking about.

but is it FINE? to put a low capacity APS sourcing from that UPS (which is already in place).

WAPDA --------> REGULAR UPS------> OTHER ELECTRIC OBJECT

|

|------> APS ----> PC AND RELATED COMPONENTS

or do you suggest to put it directly sourcing from Wapda? (obviously needed a higher capacity for backup)

I actually want to have power source from the UPS already I have (so that I could manage to spend less money)

I was thinking to use the APS just to maintain/fix the power for the computer (not for the backup).

is it a good idea or not, I am not sure. may be It sounds crazzy :D I am as good in these electric things

any ways if it's not good. then can you please recommend any required specification of the APS for the following things

PC, LCD, some adapters/chargers (mobile, subwoofer, laptop)

and any estimated cost for it.

thank you

one sided question I just got remembered. does the UPS or Power Generator effects the Laptop battery? my laptop battery is also on its ending days after 10 months almost of regular use

I believe it was a power surge of some kind?

Also, have you tested, your desi ups might be providing slightly lower voltage when on battery

[/quote]

I asked the man to set the voltage somewhat equal to Wapda. also twice I have asked him to re-check the voltage and the frequency after when it started damaging things. but it seemed OK with a minor difference.

once he advised me to use higher watts PSU so then I installed the 450w, but unfortunately its life time was not even half of the previous 350w one.

and the List I told about was not gone at once. it was like a test inning :)

all are repairable as their power unit (some capacitors and diods) are burnt , they are repairable easily
[/quote]

yes they are repairable but only in some cases. one d-link adapter was repaired when it got dead and it gave some days to use but again dead. and this is true the small adapters are more likely got spared with the same UPS.

and about the linksys adapter i dont know what was the problem with it but it gave me very much trouble because it was not burnt actually. the router was working very fine on LAN PORTS but it was making un-usual with the wi-fi. It let me connect to it but in a minute or two the speed gets dropped from 54 to 1 or 2mbps while the signal strength stays at Excelent. so the network communication gets very much slower like nothing works else than the ping request.

trouble was as it was not known to me so I thought the problem is with the router so I sent it in warranty even two times. I dont know what they fixed but it didn't worked with me then finally they replaced the router with the new one (not adapter). but it still acted like before. so not telling a big story how I tested to find actual problem but then I found that was the adapter. I purchased the new linksys adapter with the same specs from hafeez center and the same router is working fine. I didn't think to get it repaired.

:expressionless:

1 Supply 350W

1 Supply 450W

[/quote]

Really sad to hear that. You need to make sure that your UPS is not giving out high voltage. By the way, please do also make sure that WAPDA is not giving out high voltage to your main lines.

I am a victim of high voltage :confused:

^dont know. but the UPS man said its ok with it try high watts PSU. but that also didn't work.

the one 450W was just gone away while UPS was supplying power and suddenly there was a burning smell around in the room, and after detecting the smell source my brother turned off the PC it was from Supply Unit. and next time it didn't turned on

currently I am not going to get a new PSU... thats why I put it here to find a good solution to be safe from more loss.

Thank you all

that was the point of using APS, I was also thinking about.

but is it FINE? to put a low capacity APS sourcing from that UPS (which is already in place).

WAPDA --------> REGULAR UPS------> OTHER ELECTRIC OBJECT

|

|------> APS ----> PC AND RELATED COMPONENTS

or do you suggest to put it directly sourcing from Wapda? (obviously needed a higher capacity for backup)

I actually want to have power source from the UPS already I have (so that I could manage to spend less money)

I was thinking to use the APS just to maintain/fix the power for the computer (not for the backup).

is it a good idea or not, I am not sure. may be It sounds crazzy :D I am as good in these electric things

any ways if it’s not good. then can you please recommend any required specification of the APS for the following things

PC, LCD, some adapters/chargers (mobile, subwoofer, laptop)

and any estimated cost for it.

thank you

one sided question I just got remembered. does the UPS or Power Generator effects the Laptop battery? my laptop battery is also on its ending days after 10 months almost of regular use

[/quote]

Desi UPS are not good for PCs because their output voltage is not regularized. Also, the transition delay from WAPDA to UPS is also not optimized for PCs. Get a good UPS like the one I mentioned or equivalent specifically for your PC. Keep in mind the wattage requirements and DON"T use a CRT with it. 650VA equates to about 450W. Recently I also saw Aurora UPS units of 800VA (about 550W) for the same price as the previously mentioned APC unit at Metro. Either should be around PKR8K to PKR8.5K.

For load reference, I use a 800VA Proton UPS unit with a Pentium 4 2.6GHz processor based system as a server, no monitor/LCD, one router and a switch. It shows a 29% load with it all.

The new UPS will sit between the bigger UPS and the PC. essentially, it will act as a buffer of sorts and a reliable one at that. Your current UPS is not up to the task so you WILL need to spend the money to either change the existing UPS or adding a new one specifically for your PC.

A good UPS should be OK for laptop battery charging. Your battery is not OK if it has reached its end of life after just 10 months.

I asked the man to set the voltage somewhat equal to Wapda. also twice I have asked him to re-check the voltage and the frequency after when it started damaging things. but it seemed OK with a minor difference.
[/quote]

Keep a small difference in mind,. If your UPS outputs step sine or modified step sine wave, you have to know about RMS values. My main UPS unit at home is set to output 190-195V which equates to about 220VAC normal sine wave RMS value.

Normally, your 220VAC is the RMS value for 380V Pk-Pk for a sine wave. Since a square wave/modified square wave has an RMS value at 50% instead of a sinusoidal wave’s 70%, for getting the same 380V Pk-Pk, you need to output 190VAC RMS value from your UPS (only if it outputs square wave). Here, RMS value is what your multimeter/voltmeter measures. If you do this, you will observe a clear reduction in the whirring noise from your ceiling fans when they are operating on the UPS. If you keep your RMS output from the UPS at 220VAC, you are essentially giving your devices 440V Pk-Pk (or 308VAC RMS sinusoidal equivalent) which is what damages fans and other devices running on the UPS. Our local uneducated electricians don’t understand or care about this and usually don’t even know this. Most devices/appliances are rated for 220VAC to 240VAC and when you provide them with 308VAC, it is no wonder they stop working.

The above is what I think might be the case. I might be right or wrong.

yes they are repairable but only in some cases. one d-link adapter was repaired when it got dead and it gave some days to use but again dead. and this is true the small adapters are more likely got spared with the same UPS.

[/quote]

See the reason above. It got fried on 308VAC first and you gave it 308VAC again.

and about the linksys adapter i dont know what was the problem with it but it gave me very much trouble because it was not burnt actually. the router was working very fine on LAN PORTS but it was making un-usual with the wi-fi. It let me connect to it but in a minute or two the speed gets dropped from 54 to 1 or 2mbps while the signal strength stays at Excelent. so the network communication gets very much slower like nothing works else than the ping request.
[/quote]

Reset it to factory default firmware. It’s settings might have gotten corrupted.

Thanks Asad for the detailed description

The new UPS will sit between the bigger UPS and the PC. essentially, it will act as a buffer of sorts and a reliable one at that. Your current UPS is not up to the task so you WILL need to spend the money to either change the existing UPS or adding a new one specifically for your PC.
[/quote]

I would like to confirm what I understand from above quoted text.

do you mean that ADDING a new UPS in between the Current UPS and the PC will sort out the requirements as what I asked in the pattern above in last post. OR does it mean to add a new UPS between Wapda and the PC.?

UPS output 190-195V which equates to about 220VAC normal sine wave RMS value...............

......................If you keep your RMS output from the UPS at 220VAC, you are essentially giving your devices 440V Pk-Pk (or 308VAC RMS sinusoidal equivalent)

[/quote]

I guess that problem occurs here. but what kind of expert that man is.. if he did it without knowing such things. because YES there COMES much noise in ceiling fans when sourcing from UPS. and also when I do have a voice conversation on any msgr it gives a lot of noise to other party while running on UPS, and even Skype detects it.

any ways I'll surely test it.

So again if the problem is found as "UPS is giving output of 220-240V instead of 190-195V" even then do I need to fix it at ~190V before adding a new UPS after it?

@linksys adapter issue..

Reset it to factory default firmware. It's settings might have gotten corrupted.

[/quote]

Yes Asad I did these things all with the router and only these things I can do on my own I also tried to upgrade to the newer firmware from linksys website but of no use. because I never knew the problem could be the one with the Adapter. I even have had the new Router replaced with the Older one in warranty as I told above. but as always the accessories like adapters are not covered within the warranty so I have got to use that adapter with the brand new Router. the worst thing was that the same issue stayed there even with the new router.

I actually tried to test that adapter with three routers of same type all were going in the same state with the wi-fi issue while all the sames routers were working fine with another adapter. so I thought to get a new adapter and now it's working fine...

I still have that adapter, just thought to take it to some one to test what is the problem with it.

if you are interested to test it I can manage to parcel it to you :) because it is interesting to me atleast what the f_k was the problem with it that the technician at the vendor's place even couldn't detect the source of the problem and gave me the replacement with a new Router, good enough for me but the new linksys adapter cost me Rs.450/-

Thanks Asad for the detailed description

I would like to confirm what I understand from above quoted text.

do you mean that ADDING a new UPS in between the Current UPS and the PC will sort out the requirements as what I asked in the pattern above in last post. OR does it mean to add a new UPS between Wapda and the PC.?

[/quote]

If you get a new UPS, put it in between your PC and the older UPS. However, first reduce the UPS output voltage to 190-200V and see if that resolves your problem. If it doesn’t, then go for the separate UPS approach.

I guess that problem occurs here. but what kind of expert that man is… if he did it without knowing such things. because YES there COMES much noise in ceiling fans when sourcing from UPS. and also when I do have a voice conversation on any msgr it gives a lot of noise to other party while running on UPS, and even Skype detects it.

any ways I’ll surely test it.

[/quote]

Do the test and check if the fan noise reduces or not. There will be slight whirring noise but it will be reduced.

if you are interested to test it I can manage to parcel it to you :) because it is interesting to me atleast what the f_k was the problem with it that the technician at the vendor’s place even couldn’t detect the source of the problem and gave me the replacement with a new Router, good enough for me but the new linksys adapter cost me Rs.450/-
[/quote]

I would love to check it out but I am mired with a project at work. I will have to decline on the offer. However, most likely, either it is a malfunctioning IC or a diode. If it were a cheap adapter, I might even include the transformer in the realm of possible issues but newer adapters use switching power supplies.

Thank you Asad

I'll test it as I understood.

thank you again

You are welcome! Glad to be of help.

Well is there any solution of low voltage supplied by Wapda cables?

I have a 3Hz power water motor and its not getting full voltage.

May be another transformer is required in the area and that wouldn't be installed as the area is not of elites.

A man was telling me that a stabilizer of 1000 watt can be used which will solve the problem but its price is more than the motor. MAy be 16k.

Is there a law you can file your claims against WAPDA/KESC. My hard disk got burnt due to fluctuation. All my data since i bought my PC is gone :(