Accessing Someone's Modem

A year back or two my cousin wanted to forward a port but he didn't knew how to do it. So I got his IP address and credentials of his modem and was able to work on his modem very smoothly. But now when I tried to access his modem (as the PTCLl's support service was not helping him) I was not able to access it though gave me the correct IP and Username and Password of his modem. Has PTCL blocked this feature of accessing someone's else modem right from your desktop?

Thanks.

[quote=“abdullahaftab, post:, topic:”]

Has PTCL blocked this feature of accessing someone's else modem right from your desktop?

[/quote]

Yes. You can use Teamviewer to configure his modem page.

[quote=“abdullahaftab, post:, topic:”]

A year back or two my cousin wanted to forward a port but he didn't knew how to do it. So I got his IP address and credentials of his modem and was able to work on his modem very smoothly. But now when I tried to access his modem (as the PTCLl's support service was not helping him) I was not able to access it though gave me the correct IP and Username and Password of his modem. Has PTCL blocked this feature of accessing someone's else modem right from your desktop?

Thanks.

[/quote]

Been a couple of months since this has been blocked. Too many people were scanning for open ports then taking user passwords of 4,6,8,10 mb users and applying it to their own connection

Your friend can enable it (if disabled) Under the management tab Enable the remote access.

Hope it would help.

[quote=“executionist, post:3, topic:21253”]

Been a couple of months since this has been blocked. Too many people were scanning for open ports then taking user passwords of 4,6,8,10 mb users and applying it to their own connection

[/quote]

Really!!. How this can be possible? If a person has already been allotted 1Mb port and if he uses a 4mb or 8mb username his speed will remain 1mb. At least this is what I know.

@abdullahaftab

^The workaround was fairly simple. Upgrade yourself to 4mb then downgrade back to 1mb. On downgrade requests they would only downgrade your username because they were lazy. Everyone's password was ptcl and the username was clearly shown on the modem page.

A really effective way to do this was to access 1 modem and change his password. Access modem number 2 and put user 1's user pass then restart. Put 2's password on 3rd modem and so on. Keep repeating this until you are using user 10's user/password. This created a chain because user 1 would complain and wait for his connection to be fixed, once modem 1 is fixed user 2 would experience problems because they both are using the same pass, when 2 is fixed then 3 will have problems and so on. A user pass would work for 2-3 months for the end user.

With the software "advanced port scanner", it was really simple getting IP addresses of modems with the firewall off.

Since this no longer works, I think there is no harm in sharing if publicly. Another reason to do this was to avoid getting your username above the download quota when they were charging 1000 after you downloaded a specified gb/month

[quote=“executionist, post:6, topic:21253”]

@abdullahaftab

^The workaround was fairly simple. Upgrade yourself to 4mb then downgrade back to 1mb. On downgrade requests they would only downgrade your username because they were lazy. Everyone's password was ptcl and the username was clearly shown on the modem page.

A really effective way to do this was to access 1 modem and change his password. Access modem number 2 and put user 1's user pass then restart. Put 2's password on 3rd modem and so on. Keep repeating this until you are using user 10's user/password. This created a chain because user 1 would complain and wait for his connection to be fixed, once modem 1 is fixed user 2 would experience problems because they both are using the same pass, when 2 is fixed then 3 will have problems and so on. A user pass would work for 2-3 months for the end user.

With the software "advanced port scanner", it was really simple getting IP addresses of modems with the firewall off.

Since this no longer works, I think there is no harm in sharing if publicly. Another reason to do this was to avoid getting your username above the download quota when they were charging 1000 after you downloaded a specified gb/month

[/quote]

Damn!!.......... Looks like I have been Sleeping all these years... <_<

[quote=“executionist, post:6, topic:21253”]

@abdullahaftab

[/quote]

I hope it is not the years of 'experience' speaking on this matter. :blink: