About starting a Web design Service

Hey

I want to start a Web Design Service for pakistani businesses.

Any one doing it successfully??

What is the general rate for making a good looking 5 pages website.

Do you think this market have potential and soon everyone will rush to have there own website??

Thanks.

Forget local businesses. Why get paid in rupees when you can get paid in dollars? ;)

well, its hard to find work in local market. First of all most business owners in Pakistan still believe that websites are nothing more than a crap. If you try to contact large firms usually the have already contracts with people who are working on the company website or they hired a person/s for this work.

Rates: its all depend on the person/company you are working for. Its all depend on your work and marketing skills. you can have 2000-100,000 Rs in the market. Still its all depend on your marketing skill, presentation. How you make them believe that you are the best.

Market Potential No doubt soon everyone will rush to have their own website.

No doubt soon

Why don't you start your own email service(with customer owned domain)/Conference system. Email mobile alert,Virtual Fax etc

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Do you think this market have potential and soon everyone will rush to have there own website??
[/quote]

All ripped mangoes on trees are already picked, the mangoes left on trees are soar and won’t give any better results other than bitter taste in mouth that will remain on taste buds for ages.

Pakistani business community never going to understand the power of website. Maybe after 100 years, I still have doubts even then.

If you want to start constructing websites, then learn international standards and tricks that are being used in international scene. Then get projects in freelancing websites and start your career. Earn in dollars. F*** the local Pakistani market. They pay like beggars (this month its just Rs. 500, come next month for next payment).

I think you should first do some local work.Have some experience there then go for international clients because you can't trust anyone.There are many frauds there for example if you done the work the client might not pay you or even reply you.

It depends on you to charge.Calculate Work+Time and decide the price.The website concept is growing here but mostly big companies or medium one's need websites.

I myself doing freelance and finding very hard to get clients but once you got some clients and have good experience with them you may get more and more clients.

Don't think about dollars while you are starting your business.First get some local clients.

I would prefer you to not depend on local work. YOu will not get much or you will be very less paid. So its better you think of freelancing and learn that how to successful at freelancing website. I'm sure if you give time over there, you can have a good career building there. Good Luck!

i created a website for a garment factory in Faisalabad 4-5 months back i was paid well , but 2-3 weeks later manager told me to add google adsense on his corporate website so he can generate some extra cash lol

google adsense on his corporate website so he can generate some extra cash lol
[/quote]

Pakistanis are awesome :D

I know hell of web designers struggling due to our narrow minded approach…

Ppl still think internet as the cause of problems:P

All ripped mangoes on trees are already picked, the mangoes left on trees are soar and won’t give any better results other than bitter taste in mouth that will remain on taste buds for ages.

Pakistani business community never going to understand the power of website. Maybe after 100 years, I still have doubts even then.

If you want to start constructing websites, then learn international standards and tricks that are being used in international scene. Then get projects in freelancing websites and start your career. Earn in dollars. F*** the local Pakistani market. They pay like beggars (this month its just Rs. 500, come next month for next payment).

[/quote]

Agreed

I recently had such experience. I wouldn’t go in details, but I was literally pulling my hairs out.

The “typical mentality” of our people will come in your way whenever you want to do anything like that. Web Designing / Web Hosting / Web Development etc.

@ALI

If you think you can do it and have germs of a designer in you, then go for it.

Just focus on Int. market.

#$%# the local market, The last time I was asked to make a website for a corporate company and they were offering 2000 :) I refused and asked 150$

Eventually they hired some other guy :(

Kick on odesk, forget the local market :)

i hate making websites for customers.. no matter what i do they have to find something wrong.. even if everythings perfect..

.. the color is a bit dark plz lighten it up......... k done....... no no.. too light.. go back to dark plz..

$#@$%%

also getting payment from them is a full time job.. u have to remind them multiple times to pay u.. .. my last client after having a happy ending.. i got paid.. he was happy with the site and design informed me after 3 months that hes not happy and i did not do a good job..

$#@%$#@!@@&^%!

even though it pays well i have stopped making websites for clients.. its not worth it..

here is a comic about how a web design goes straight to hell.. im sure the designers here will have to agree :)

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell

My Friend,

Lots of members have adviced you already that forget about local business. and they are right in a sense that dealing with local people is quite difficult.

If you are good in design and development. you can get your account open at elance or limetree etc. and try to grab business from abroad. The payments would be easy and it is not going to be an extra job. All you have to concentrate is the product you are supposed to deliver.

he was happy with the site and design informed me after 3 months that hes not happy and i did not do a good job..

free web hosting

The reason why Pakistani businesses are not interested in doing business on the web is, they won't be able to evade tax then! All cash transactions would go to hell, and all bank transfers/ credit card purchases would be recorded, which is the biggest nightmare for a Pakistani business. (I have dealt with a few where they say I'll have to pay 10% extra on top of the price if I want a receipt of my purchase!)

So once business itself is out of the way, the only thing left is to make unwary people click on ads, or just make an information webpage in the vain hope that one day someone would note down the telephone number and show up at their shop/office.

No possibility of work in Pakistan bro, unless you scale to a company and then woo some big-time clients.

In 1996 my boss went out to look for IT business from local industries and factories.

Business including.

Web sites.

Database for record management.

Computer Installation/Maintenance.

Network Installation/Maintenance.

You know what we found one customer woohooo happy days.

Now we had 6 meetings in total with Factory owner and his IT person about what requirements are what they want and how they want what after sale services are etc…..

About after few weeks when it came to pricing guess what happened?

To let you know this team designed/published very first Computer magazine in Pakistan.

Very first Urdu Computer magazine was published/designed by this team.

Very first Urdu website was designed by this team.

Now your turn and take guess what price that factory owner was expecting???

Pakistanis companies are not willing to pay more..........

Local Market ??

Even countries like India or China dont even work on their local markets.

Advice: Make templates of small Enterprise softwares, and ripp off any shopping cart sites like ebay, apply any Ajax framework, add a reporting option like JasperReports, and make instant money in the freelance market baby. With the templates all you have to do is customize it.

It is better for you design template for Themeforest, you can earn more from here.

As Everyone already suggested you to focus on international market I will also suggest you they same but if you really want to work in the local market then you have to improve you marketing and presentation skills just to tell your Clint that you work is very hard and then maybe he will be willing to pay you some battery. Otherwise Pakistani market is wery tough for web developers and marketers