A-levels or FSc?

I want to know the advantages and disadvantages of A-levels and FSc

If u have given O'levels exam

A levels would offer you a higher quality of education and in my experience the system makes sense as a student. Also its more recognized internationally.

Fsc might make it easier for you to get admission into local Pakistani universities.

My cousin is in LUMS, he says student who have done FSc perform better than the students who have done A-levels

If you want to go abroad for studies go for a level's for sure!

and if you want to go in local universities then go for Fsc

simple as that

I am confused at this point

My uncle is a doctor and he had done Matric and FSc and he was admitted in a university at london

Where he did his MBBS

So, is it also possible to get admission in universities abroad even if u have done FSc?

im doing Alevels(last year) and IMO Alevels is easier than FSc, and in FSc you need to do much hardwork like making big big notes, and there are extra subjects u hve to deal with, while in Alevels mostly people opt for 4 subjects....may be thats y students who do FSC perform better, cuz they are used to hardwork

While you must know that now IBCC cuts 25%, when you get your equivalence certificate, which means even if you have distinctions in all subjects in A+O levels, you cant get more than 75% in equivalence, and also for the entry tests preparation for local universities, you might need to do a FSc course....this gives alot of edge to FSc students for getting admission in local unis

but if u wanna go abroad then definitely Alevels is the best option, it duznt mean at all that u cant go abroad if uve dun FSc

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

im doing Alevels(last year) and IMO Alevels is easier than FSc, and in FSc you need to do much hardwork like making big big notes, and there are extra subjects u hve to deal with, while in Alevels mostly people opt for 4 subjects…may be thats y students who do FSC perform better, cuz they are used to hardwork
[/quote]

Albeit, useless and unnecessary hard work. That’s not the ideal way to study, nor are the extra subjects of any relevance or are even useful. :)

I am confused at this point

My uncle is a doctor and he had done Matric and FSc and he was admitted in a university at london

Where he did his MBBS

So, is it also possible to get admission in universities abroad even if u have done FSc?

[/quote]

Yes, you can. But most of the universities require you to spend at least one year of university in Pakistan if you have an FSC certificate whereas A-levels will cut out that requirement. And those 1 year worth of credits are usually NOT transferable.

but i read on abroad medical online sites that we can also apply for abroad for fsc without any problem am i right?

Above info. Indicates that FSc is better

Right?

Above info. Indicates that FSc is better

Right?

[/quote]

It depends. If you want to go abroad, it’s better to do A-levels, but if you want to study in a local university here, you can go for FSc. Though my personal opinion about FSc has been expressed in an earlier post.

I think this is a non-issue. If you've done O levels (especially if you did reasonably well in O levels), you should stick with the system and do A levels. Its REALLY hard to switch systems midway and you'll definitely have trouble with it. You're used to the British system, you know how the exams work, keep with it. You're over thinking the situation...!

sah is absolutely right. If you get used to the "concept" system of GCE (A/O Levels), you'll hate the ratta n khota system. And it would be really wrong to say that you don't have to work hard in A-levels.

I think this is a non-issue. If you’ve done O levels (especially if you did reasonably well in O levels), you should stick with the system and do A levels. Its REALLY hard to switch systems midway and you’ll definitely have trouble with it. You’re used to the British system, you know how the exams work, keep with it. You’re over thinking the situation…!
[/quote]

but if you are capable of hardworking…and if local universities are the only option for you, den go for FSc, even if uve dun Olevels(u get straight B’s in A/O levels (which is good, and not easy to get) u get 65% :(, while in FSc 65% is average and quite easier to get) …atleast the science subjects in FSc are more logical and less ‘rutta’, den dey used to b b4…

it all depends on what u would do after FSc/ Alevels.

If ure gona go into med side in Pakistan i suggest u do FSc since ull have a very good chance of getting into a govt. run med college.

Otherwise a levels...

A'levels is really good from a learning experience and exposure pov but be prepared to face hassles if you intend to stay in Pakistan,or are more inclined towards it than going abroad. Even if you get straight A's (which is super-hard to do,don't believe anyone who tells you it's "easy") in O+A, you'll only get 935. As anyone who's given the MCAT for Govt. Colleges will tell you,that puts you at a very distinct disadvantage. You'll have work twice,maybe thrice as hard as the FSc kids. Engineering students aren't much better off.

I think Business and Liberal Arts students have it relatively easier.

So do think of things keeping in my mind your subject stream as well.

sorry for the correction but the a levels syllabus taught here is identical to the one in UK, the syllabus gets updated each year and is implemented here

@kookona: Even if that is true, the fact of the matter is, as an education system, A levels would beat out FSc in most if not all departments, and keeping in view the options he has available, it would be the better choice.

DELETED sah: Don't post sensationalist 'news' without any source or proof.