A distorted type of sound/noise hearable from the laptop

This is very awkward as I never faced some thing like that before.

My little bro brought a VAIO Laptop from one of his friends to check up for some thing and set it up with iPhone. Never mind, forget that. The Laptop's been fixed as he needed.

But besides that I heard a sound in it. A "distorted" type of sound some where from inside the laptop when it's on. I tried to figure it out where the sound is coming from just bringing the laptop closer to my ears from various sides of it. First I thought it could be the speakers issue with loosed wire connections or some thing but it wasn't that, as I tried to mute the Windows sound, lowering the volume, and blah blah, but that specific sound was still there with a random breaks and durations. So I left that without getting to any result. but later on while setting it up, I noticed that the sound increases when the network traffic increases and as well the sound decreases when the network traffic decreases.

To check it thoroughly I tried different things being busy with the network wireless adapter. I didn't try with the Ethernet any ways. But I am pretty sure some how the Wireless Adapter is making trouble with the machine.

> I tried switching wireless switch on/off, it does start the distorted sound at once when I turn on the WiFi switch and it goes silent when it is turned off.

> It also distorts when I click on the "Networks" icon in system bar at right-bottom corner in the state when the WiFi is currently active connection.

> It distorts slowly when I would be browsing a little. but it starts with a huge distortion when I try to copy a file from some other computer within the network.

It just made me to put on forums to get what it actually could be.

I really tried to explain the trouble in detail as much as I could. But if some one is not cleared with it I have recorded a video to show up the experience I had with it. The video just shows the notable distortions. If requested I can post link to video.

Edit: removed video links

hmmm interesting.... so do you think it was problem with your wifi card?

well a similar story, my cousin brought his dell laptop in last winters, and i noticed a very low distorted sound coming from it, but it was only notice able in room having ultra silence, the sound used to come whenever i clicked on any icon, play anything with silent speakers, and using internet.

i checked it by removing its cover and this sound was coming from hard drive.

there can be many possibilities, one that is popping up in my mind is, that may be the antenna wires that are attached to wifi card, are twisted with speakers cables, or may be passing very near to some track that is carrying un-amplified sound signals.

If you got your laptop fixed then chances are that the antenna wires are not placed where they should be.

A thing that you can do is to lower the TX power to the minimum, notice the distortion, then change it to maximum and again notice the distortion, that would give you with more information, to help diagnose your problem

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

hmmm interesting… so do you think it was problem with your wifi card?
[/quote]

Yes! I believe that Wireless adapter is causing this to happen. I spent a quite some time on the laptop with the wireless turned off and there was no such sound during that time.

there can be many possibilities, one that is popping up in my mind is, that may be the antenna wires that are attached to wifi card, are twisted with speakers cables, or may be passing very near to some track that is carrying un-amplified sound signals.

If you got your laptop fixed then chances are that the antenna wires are not placed where they should be.

[/quote]

I am not sure about that, nor I can check it because I don’t want to disassemble the laptop. Also I didn’t try to fix this issue. I only recovered it from a unbootable state.

A thing that you can do is to lower the TX power to the minimum, notice the distortion, then change it to maximum and again notice the distortion, that would give you with more information, to help diagnose your problem
[/quote]

Yep! Lowering the Transmit/TX Power effectively reduced the sound. Infect I can say it’s gone… Continuous noise during copying a big file is now completely gone. But the random peaks in sudden sound is still occurring after a couple of minutes only for a second or two, even when the machine is completely idle (may be it sends and receives some thing in background).