A Buzzing Noise

Hello,

http://www.inverexpower.com/images/gallery/File2918755XP_PDF.pdf

This is my UPS.

When power goes out and the ups kicks in, the single wire that originates from the UPS to all the fans/savers etc emits a buzzing noise. And naturally the noise is at it's peak in the sockets area(ups powered sockets for charging mobile phones etc). It is a very audible constant buzz type of sound. It doesn't mess with anything seemingly, but I was wondering the reason behind it.

Could it be because the UPS is modified sine wave? Or the wiring is single wire 'thin'? Or maybe something else.

Any help would be appreciated.

^ probably both and many other issues..

its a square wave UPS, which creates that much noise.. and wiring has huge negative impact on electricity..

Modified sine wave also does this?its not only square

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:2, topic:20964”]

^ probably both and many other issues..

its a square wave UPS, which creates that much noise.. and wiring has huge negative impact on electricity..

[/quote]

Understood! If I were to seek a remedy for this, what would be some of the things to correct here?

I know you are a big proponent of APC UPS, but anything other than changing the ups, what are my options?

This UPS is modified sine wave, has over/under protection etc. Doesn't hurt the batteries. It's not that bad from my experience. Obviously, it may not produce the cleanest output or be the most energy efficient, but that is to be expected when it's lighter on the pocket.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

^ To cut manufacturing costs, Chinese manufacturers often omit some necessary circuits from the electronic equipment.

There should be an EMI filter (inside the UPS) at the input and output of the UPS. I have seen some UPS in which the parts for EMI filter are not present on the main board. I believe that is the case with your unit. The switching noise from the inverter is radiating out into the loads.

The only way to confirm this is to open up the UPS and look for the parts of EMI filter if they have been stuffed on the board or not.

Brother change the switch or socket which u use during ups operation for mobile charging or computer etc and also the button powering that switch/socket...i also had same problem with homage ups and i thought being modified sine wave it produces buzz in fans so this buzz is also cause of that...but one day the button of the switch stopped working...i called electrician he opened the board and i saw that part of the button was eaten away and was black like burnt...reason was the ups wire coming to button was bit loose...i changed the switch and button...electrician also pointed another button near to collapse(powering the Energy saver) and i also replaced that...and problem of that buzz was solved

also check the socket of ur ups output...if u see the holes a bit eaten away...change the plug of ur single wire

Thanks Pathfinder. Good tips, will look out for!

I changed the socket where the UPS plugs in to Wapda(because it smelt of burnt rubber) and the 'wire noise' has been reduced by 70%.

The remote mobile charging sockets however, still make some noise but it's also reduced by 40%

@farhan_ds, (and the comment about wiring having negative impact)

Can you please elaborate on that.

a ) Why is the single wire a detriment to my existing setup(or anybody else's)?

b ) How much does it cost to change it to a double(?) wiring. I'm guessing it's phase and neutral separate.

c ) Will there be a see-able difference meaning will there be two wires running to the sockets/fans etc or a single big wire with two more inside. Point is, I don't want to be ripped off, and want to know exactly how it looks.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for all the questions! My inquisitive nature gets the better of me most times.

i didnot say any thing specific about single wiring.. i was refering to THIN wiring, which is unable to bear the load

however

1 - Any apliance geting live and netrual on same wire is bound o run into trouble.. there are huge resources on the web about hazards of comon neutral including long detailed threads here.. search them out

2 - it takes the same length of wire along with your current live wiring to make it neutral seperate if you have individual buttons connected to UPS.. if you have full breakers connected then wiring is very easy..

cost depedns on the length and quality or wire used.. and electrician charges and a steel wire for passing the wire through roof.(its cheap)

3 - that mostly depends on the UPS itself.. it is always always better to have seperate wiring for EVERY ups.. good quality and imported ups wont even start with comon wiring.. desi ups work with comon wiring to reduce costs, even though it damages the appliances gradually..even if you donot notice any noise reduction, atleast proper pathways of electricity flow would have been established... if no noise reduction still with using high quality thick wires, then your UPS has poor filters and /or is modified/square wave.

[quote=“RKuken, post:8, topic:20964”]

I changed the socket where the UPS plugs in to Wapda(because it smelt of burnt rubber) and the 'wire noise' has been reduced by 70%.

The remote mobile charging sockets however, still make some noise but it's also reduced by 40%

[/quote]

So it proved to be "arcing noise" rather than a "buzzing noise".

Well, I wouldn't know the difference.

I deemed it a 'buzzing noise' because the way it sounded (my hearing perception entirely) and not based on it's technical relevance.

Naturally I'm stupid like that in the field of electricity and electronics!

A quick google helped(me).

Thanks to everyone for responding in the thread. I might talk to some electrician about doubling the wire soon.