8Mb, SNR is 15/5 (Down/UP) Any suggestions!

I was upgraded to 8Mb promotional package and this is what I have at the moment.

noise margin upstream: 5 db
output power downstream: 16 db
attenuation upstream: 8 db
noise margin downstream: 15 db
output power upstream: 12 db
attenuation downstream: 9 db
Dont know if these values were changed after the upgrade bcoz I never checked it before.
Dont have any issues at the moment but just wanna make sure if SNR could be a bit better by any means ?

For 8 Mbps

10 or more dbm is enough.

Mine is 12 to 13 and its working flawless :)

[quote=“rockz, post:2, topic:21666”]

For 8 Mbps

10 or more dbm is enough.

Mine is 12 to 13 and its working flawless :)

[/quote]

Hey @Rockz

i m also using ptcls 4mb package. and 2 days ago When i enter a website and press enter i was transfered to ptcl link where it says that i have been upgraded for 8mbp promotion package. then i check out my dsl modems homepage but its still showing 4mbps. so i talked with help line. and they are saying my connection is upgraded to 8mb as what they see in my profile. but my port is not upgraded. so they made a complain. and next day got call from local exchange of my city. and i was out but my brother talked with him and he says 8mb not supported on your line. so its better to stick with 4mb or else you will face problem if your port gets upgraded to higher then 4mb. so can u tell me what should i do? i post post my line stats also and tell me is my line okay for getting 8mb ? and i m using Old wire that ptcl used for ages. cooper :) no fiber in my city i guess..

Line Coding(Trellis): On On

SNR Margin (1 dB): 24.6 10.0

Attenuation (1 dB): 29.5 19.0

Output Power (1 dBm): 19.8 12.3

Attainable Rate Rate (Kbps): 9248 1320

Rate (Kbps): 4096 1024

Mine :

SNR Margin : 8.4 / 14.0

Attenuation : 15.5 /10.0

8Mbps Works flawlessly and without disconnections. so dont worry it would be fine

[quote=“hashim, post:4, topic:21666”]

Mine :

SNR Margin : 8.4 / 14.0

Attenuation : 15.5 /10.0

8Mbps Works flawlessly and without disconnections. so dont worry it would be fine

[/quote]

but that exchange wala said it wont run fine.. so what should i do? and now i have closed that complaint also lol :)

[quote=“Bilal1, post:3, topic:21666”]

Hey @Rockz

i m also using ptcls 4mb package. and 2 days ago When i enter a website and press enter i was transfered to ptcl link where it says that i have been upgraded for 8mbp promotion package. then i check out my dsl modems homepage but its still showing 4mbps. so i talked with help line. and they are saying my connection is upgraded to 8mb as what they see in my profile. but my port is not upgraded. so they made a complain. and next day got call from local exchange of my city. and i was out but my brother talked with him and he says 8mb not supported on your line. so its better to stick with 4mb or else you will face problem if your port gets upgraded to higher then 4mb. so can u tell me what should i do? i post post my line stats also and tell me is my line okay for getting 8mb ? and i m using Old wire that ptcl used for ages. cooper :) no fiber in my city i guess..

Line Coding(Trellis): On On

SNR Margin (1 dB): 24.6 10.0

Attenuation (1 dB): 29.5 19.0

Output Power (1 dBm): 19.8 12.3

Attainable Rate Rate (Kbps): 9248 1320

Rate (Kbps): 4096 1024

[/quote]

Your SNR is Fine and will be around 10 to 15 after 8 Mbps upgradation

But the concern here is what is shown in modem is Attainable Rate,

You need to upgrade your line , Then change pairs from Cabinet to Pole and Cabinet to Exchange.

Lineman is the person who can do this for you. Get you better pair so this Attainable rate maybe achieved.

Else you would never be able to connect to DSLAM.

After all this is done check your attainable rate. If its around 13 to 16 then Call helpline and visit Exchange for setting line parameters to 8 Mbps.

It will work fine.

[quote=“rockz, post:6, topic:21666”]

Your SNR is Fine and will be around 10 to 15 after 8 Mbps upgradation

But the concern here is what is shown in modem is Attainable Rate,

You need to upgrade your line , Then change pairs from Cabinet to Pole and Cabinet to Exchange.

Lineman is the person who can do this for you. Get you better pair so this Attainable rate maybe achieved.

Else you would never be able to connect to DSLAM.

After all this is done check your attainable rate. If its around 13 to 16 then Call helpline and visit Exchange for setting line parameters to 8 Mbps.

It will work fine.

[/quote]

looks like a lot of work need to done. i will see that do i need to upgrade my line or not thanks brother :)