500 GB WD or SEAGATE?

which one should i go for

give reasons for your suggesions

i mean some explanation tht why...

Both WD and Seagate r performancewise best brands. But i'll suggest u to go for WD, since their HDD r relatively cheaper as compared to seagate HDD. Moreover, if u go for WD Cavier Green HDD then they r very power efficient as well... i think their power efficiency is 30% more as compared to regular HDD.

Check out the following link, it offers an in depth anylisis of the diff. b/w both HDDs

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2803

WD b/c they r cheaper, quiter and energy efficient

I am an old user of Seagate and it have performed me well so i would definately recommend you Seagate.

BTW The higher the price, The better the quality

I've seen several seagates fail but still have many Western Digital's going strong. WD all the way.

i hv been using seagate 160 GB fr 2 yrs now and it is still performing great, during this period i have removed and reconnected the HDD around 50 times i guess but no connecting PIN or anything got damaged, so i'd say it pretty durable as it also fell a couple of times from the top of my PC(i connect it outside the PC :D) but still workin f9

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

The higher the price, The better the quality
[/quote]

That is not true in this particular case!!! seagate is crap the one’s i used failed on me in just 10 months also it is real noisy, on the other hand you wouldn’t feel a wd spinning in your cpu.

i heard tht seagate is now giving 5 years full time waranty

[/quote]

Are u planning to buy it from some authorized dealer, cuz otherwise if u buy a HDD from any ordinary shop, then they don’t offer u more than 10 months waranty for any HDD.

^

i m planing frm galaxy lahore..

Asad posted a few benchmarks of his Seagate barracuda 7200.12 500GB HDD:

http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5127

^

i m planing frm galaxy lahore…

[/quote]

I think galaxy will also offer u 10 months waranty… BTW i m not 100% sure abt it cuz i live in Rwalpindi and never bought any thing from galaxy.

i just sold a seagate 200gb ide... it had 5 years warranty... and i had used it for almost full 5 years... it got a little slow in the end but was still great for data storage... i have a 320gb sata wd also which i have been using for 1.5 years... it is still going strong but i think it has developed a couple of bad sectors... as far as i have heard seagate does not develope bad sectors easily(my 200gb never had a bad sector even after 5 years)...

[/quote]

Seagate has reduced warranty to three years. See my thread that rokra linked to, for read/write benchmarks of Seagate’s ST3500418AS drive. It gives over 100MB/s average read/write speeds. It has a single platter so less energy consumption. It is also very quiet and has lower operating temps compared to previous seagate HDDs.

i got two seagates running. one 120gb and a 500gb 7200.11 cuda (32mb cache wali drive). never failed me. i think WD is good as well. but the 7200.12 's performance as well as the 5 year warranty smokes all....

500 gb seagate is best , i also have that..

^^ Seagate now offers only 3 years warranty.

nobody have described the price difference yet which certianly counts .....

If I will buy a HD i will never care for price, its the speed and reliability thats count coz data is the most expensive item in my PC. Still I wanna ask which wont corrupt my data or produce any mishap ?

I dont care for 5 years or 3 years coz after 3 or 5 years its obvious I will upgrade to more.