5-day working week proposal in Pakistan

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

many pakistanis are paid on monthly basis not on hourly basis so that isnt going to effect the salaries of common , i think there isnt any need at the moment to have 5 working days instead of 6 .
[/quote]

There are other issues linked with it other than salaries and electricity.

A dynamic social and family life, resolving day to day issues of life, spending time for recreation and thus becoming more energetic in work, spending time for sports, these are some of the things which have made other nations what they are. One of the reasons for depressive outlook of our society is also that we keep ourselves busy for nothing.

a very small percentage of govt employees have to do some work, others just go to their offices for relaxing

that is because most of the govt jobs are created to accommodate the relatives and friends of current employees and hence they don’t have any work to do

[/quote]

This also supports the concept of having lesser working days, why to go to yawn in offices, why not to watch a movie in same time frame or put an item in order at home. One has to see overall effectiveness of individuals.

^Their employees must be suffering form extreme stress.
[/quote]

So, its agreed that leave can reduce stresses. If so, what about stresses being caused by terrorism, electricity, atta, poor sport performance, dwindling film industry.

One day cannot account for 30% energy savings. :confused:

This move, if implemented, would in effect reduce weekly work hours and would be detrimental to the industry

[/quote]

Seems the concept needs to put right. Working and smart working are two different things.

One, the work hours have not been reduced in this concept anywhere in the world. The work hours remain same and its achieved by enhancing work hours on the working days.

Two, instead of wasting time uselessly in offices where the work do not demand them, will it not be better that a peon goes to his home and stand in line to buy atta, than his daughter doing the same (and getting fingered in the process)

I am against it. I am even against the half day on Friday and Saturday. We, Pakistanis, need to work full 6 days of week. We are third world country. We do not enjoy on oil. Beside, Indonesia and Malaysia, Pakistan is the only Muslim country that is progressing due to the hard-work of common Pakistanis.
[/quote]

Healthy bodies and mind are in a better position to work and deliver.

What about a clerk whose house does not have atta, sugar. The electricity remains off and the children a malaria ridden frequent needing medication. This is the class which is most in numbers of job. We keep them in the offices, resultantly they are neither present at home nor in the office and live a depressive life. Will you not like to give them relief to spend some time with their children, to see a movie.

5 day work week and 2 days weekend off is damn good concept. but in developed country generally this amounts to 5 days work week of real productivity and 2 days of relaxation/party time. but here in pakistan unfortunately even in 6 days work week one hardly gives even one work day of real productivity (i am pointing toward clerical to white collar jobs. i have to say labour class provides 100% productivity since usually they do hard physical labour so one has to appreciate their hard work)

5 day work week and 2 days weekend off is damn good concept. but in developed country generally this amounts to 5 days work week of real productivity and 2 days of relaxation/party time. but here in pakistan unfortunately even in 6 days work week one hardly gives even one work day of real productivity (i am pointing toward clerical to white collar jobs. i have to say labour class provides 100% productivity since usually they do hard physical labour so one has to appreciate their hard work)
[/quote]

Productivity has little relationship with time and more linked with correct utilization of time. A child who sits with a book in his hand for 12 hours will not give better results than a child who studies 4 hours a day.

Correct utilization of time is done by having right people at the right jobs for RIGHT TIME. If you bring a phd and ask him to deliver lecture to class3 for 9 hours on how to clean the teeth… The results both on children and the teacher are obvious. We need to know what we want to do and when.

By putting people for work 7 hours a day we are not going to resolve the problem rather compound it.

hmmm well dude i am no expert on human resource management but lets answer you points

Productivity has little relationship with time and more linked with correct utilization of time.
[/quote]

well i already made this point in my post

but here in pakistan unfortunately even in 6 days work week one hardly gives even one work day of real productivity
[/quote]

so you see even though one worker maybe present for 6 work day (TIME PRESENT) but the average amount of performance that worker would produce in 6 days work time would be like only 1 work day worth (CORRECT UTILIZATION OF TIME), and this is i am talking about average office worker who is accustomed to shahi culture.

i have to say labour class provides 100% productivity since usually they do hard physical labour so one has to appreciate their hard work
[/quote]

but in other hand uneducated labor gives performance which is like 95% to 100% (CORRECT UTILIZATION OF TIME) IN Paksitan since for majority of them do hard physical labour and if they perform task for 10 hours then give or take they do give performance worth 10 hours.

So whats your recommendation Kamran.

So whats your recommendation Kamran.
[/quote]

boss i don’t have any recommendation, in pakistan everything is so unpredictable which defies common human sense. i don’t know what else to add.

but if you want to talk generally on economics and business for sake of knowledge i’ll be happy to exchange ideas.

hmm, its unfortunate, yet one needs to move on, may be there is some hope somewhere or something down the line which we cannot see at the moment.

5 wrking days r well enough jst concentrate nd manage ur wrk in these days. nd save the electricity . hw ever our govt is nt doing that but stil we should do our job. MAY GOD BLESS OUR COUNTRY

This law is too good for saving the electricity but the business oriented people might suffer because the banks generally remain closed and many of us usually get time on weekends to perform household work including bank stuff also

^ Business oriented people don't open their shops till 12pm, sometimes, 1pm. They should utilize that time to visit banks, instead of sleeping in their beds.

The people are successfully test driving 4 working days a week and we are discussing if 6 days are good or 5 days.

TIME: The Four-Day Workweek Is Winning Fans

The people are successfully test driving 4 working days a week and we are discussing if 6 days are good or 5 days.

TIME: The Four-Day Workweek Is Winning Fans

[/quote]

lol you made me laugh, there is a guy advocating 4 hours workweek (he wrote the whole book on it) and you are talking about 4 days workweek…

Tomorrow the government is again going to think over the 5-day working week proposal whether it worked good or bad. Lets see what comes after this new meeting.

May be a 4-day working week. :D

LAHORE: Punjab government has put an end to the practice of 2 weekly holidays in the province with effect from November 22, 2010.

According to Punjab Information Department, the provincial government has issued a notification in this regard.

The notification says that all government offices will follow 8 am to 3 pm timing while on Friday the official time will be from 8 am to 12 noon.

The decision to have two weekly holidays in the province was taken in view of the countrywide power shortage.

that's too bad. I think the govt. employees and bankers would have liked it to continue. Who wouldn't like a two day weekend?