5-day working week proposal in Pakistan

5-day working week proposal in Pakistan

Please post yor comments, views, opinions and suggestions on this topic. Many people support it as this move would help conserving about 30 per cent energy consumption in the country.

On the other hand many people are against because according to their thought and calculations it will create disorder in working schedules and reduce production capacity rather than bringing discipline in official working.

Authorities concerned to this proposal are trying to conduct research survey in order to gauge what people think about necessary measures to ensure austerity.

Waiting for you valuable input.

Regards

One day cannot account for 30% energy savings. :/

This move, if implemented, would in effect reduce weekly work hours and would be detrimental to the industry. It would be detrimental to ongoing projects and managing the change would give a headache to many. Government officials don't realize this because they are paid regardless of whether they work or not (often the latter case). Their 4-5 hours a day working hours are a joke compared to how an ordinary man has to work 9+ hours a day to get paid. It is a pity that the only thing parliament can agree on unanimously is increase in their own salaries and additional perks. :mad:

In one word, I would say a resounding "NO!" to this proposal.

It will only increase problems.

x2 @ NO!

Friday is almost half day

So technically it is four and a half.

What they could do is :

.They should have a 8hour window for shops, 11-7

.All shops and offices to be closed for prayer times(40mins max). Thus creating cooling period.

.No more than 5 bulbs in a shop.

.Kunda connection charges quadrupled.

.An Anti-corruption police under CJustice only (not even the president).

I am against it. I am even against the half day on Friday and Saturday. We, Pakistanis, need to work full 6 days of week. We are third world country. We do not enjoy on oil. Beside, Indonesia and Malaysia, Pakistan is the only Muslim country that is progressing due to the hard-work of common Pakistanis.

2 free days make me more lazy than I am. and just don't want to get to work on Monday.

but on the same time I want to get busy because of just bored of freeness.

any ways. I think it depends on the nature of work. but surely I'll also favor what Asad said "One day cannot account for 30% energy savings" in any nature of work.

and what is the nature of work I talked was, like the Government People. you can give them 2 days to work, 4 days, 5 or 6 days. you will not get any PLUS or MINUS in productivity. Not all though, many people(some good ones) with self thoughts in Government work really with their full energy. they also think they have to work, for what, they are paid for.

and like Private organizations. It also depends again on the nature of their work, either they have to work 5 days or 6 days. if really they need more production they will need more time for that.

but I am not in the favor of the fact like some companies do [over-time , more hard work , less pay]. they would be trying to get 6 days work in 5 days if it happens. I'll reject the proposal.

what I think simply if every thing will be fixed in the system and regulations would have been applied in really manners, then 5 or 6 days would not make any differences. ofcourse they do in quantity of productivity, but the the Companies would be happy for their workers with 5 days of work and the workers would be happy with 6 days of work.

and another nature is that some local companies are hired by foreign companies for less labor costs. I have seen many times like in UK there is 5 days work week, and they want us to work for 6 days in here. doing work for 6 days only on our own wishes is good but for well restricted by the parent company taking off 1 day their selves and asking us to work on that day. I'll not be in favor of that. and even in that case 5 or 6 days really do not make any differences in productivity as well. this is mentality of the workers that gets disturbed.

انگریز پانچھ دن کھوتے کی طرح کام کرتے ھین تو وہ دو دن چھٹی کے حقدار ھیں۔ یہاں پاکستان میں کھوتے ایک دن بھی انسان کے بچوں کی طرح کام نھیں کرتے اور چلے ھیں دو دن چھٹی کرنے۔ پورے سال میں صرف دو چھٹیاں ھونی چاھیں۔ عید کی! بس!

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

انگریز پانچھ دن کھوتے کی طرح کام کرتے ھین تو وہ دو دن چھٹی کے حقدار ھیں۔ یہاں پاکستان میں کھوتے ایک دن بھی انسان کے بچوں کی طرح کام نھیں کرتے اور چلے ھیں دو دن چھٹی کرنے۔ پورے سال میں صرف دو چھٹیاں ھونی چاھیں۔ عید کی! بس!
[/quote]

LOL…

Specially in Sarkari idarey

Well all here appear to be against 5 working days, I am not.

I do not agree with Energy saving thing and yes agree with you guys it will not save that much energy any way, and I think for me energy is not even the reason for this, its about work habbits and routine we want to have in our country and which one is better is the question.

Talking of Goverment jobs , it do not make any difference as some of you said already , make it any number of days , its same. There are many many Haram khors there (sorry to use this word but I am too much fed up of what goes in in CDA or other sarkari offices, its hurts me) and they will not change. Their day starts with some gup shup, then News paper, then tea break , then little files here and there, then a very long lunch/prayer break, then some little work here and there then another team break and then they are done for day. So at that end nothing will change.

Coming to private jobs, all of us that work 9 to 10 hours daily, should not be working more than 5 days. I work 10/12 hours each work day (friday, ramzan or what ever same number of hours), a good tough job and then I really need two offs, I used to have one off couple years back , and it sucked big big time. You cant do a thing in one off, there are range of things to get done on weekends.

Its not that we will only grow if we start working 6 days a week, I know it will make the difference, but the problem is not there. Problem is there where there are people which are not honest with their work, make them work 6 days or 7 days , nothing will change.

Unfortuntely we Pakistanis (many) have very very bad work ethics, and we even do it in our studies, like wasting whole year and then waking whole night in last month or so to get good marks, same we do in offices, we dont start work on time, then we are lazy to get things going, then end up with having lot to cover, then we are doing late sittings and all that, we are badly organized and need to change. (of course there are exception )

Ahmsun what you have said about goras , I really like that, the five days they work, they give very high productivity, because they are not doing ten things at one time like us, when they are doing some office stuff, they are totally into it, have better producitvity and are better focused than us in general, I know we are very very hard working (excluding people I discussed earlier) but you do not need to be always working hard to win the race, you need to work smart too. After five days or solid work , goras enjoy two days fully, and that helps in good winding up, so you are good to go on Monday , when I had only one off, it used to pass like there was no off and I am continously working, the brain dont get enough rest.

Well in short I am in favour of 5 work days.

many pakistanis are paid on monthly basis not on hourly basis so that isnt going to effect the salaries of common , i think there isnt any need at the moment to have 5 working days instead of 6 .

i think 5 working days is good idea, most multinational company employee are already enjoying that benefit , only downside is poor people working on daily wages may suffer,

i think 5 working days is good idea, most multinational company employee are already enjoying that benefit , only downside is poor people working on daily wages may suffer,
[/quote]

Most of workers are on daily or hourly basis as compare to monthly basis, so, there would lot of workers will be affected if not alternate method applied for their hourly or daily wages structure.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/updates.asp?id=90744

Cabinet to grant two weekly holidays tomorrow

[/quote]ISLAMABAD: A proposal regarding two weekly holidays in the government offices and the industrial sector has been hammered out in the meeting of a Committee to recommend austerity measures.

The federal cabinet will grant final approval for these measures in tomorrow’s session. Federal Finance Minister Shaukat Tarin presided over the meeting of the Austerity Committee.

NWFP province and Punjab also gave their consent to the proposal of two weekly holidays in the wake of Sindh and Balochistan during the meeting.

The drafted proposals said that travel expenditures for the members of the Parliament should be curtailed by 70 percent.

The 50 percent cut has been suggested in the limit of fuel and vehicles used for convoys of ministers and chief ministers.

^ What a ridiculous proposal. A day off would not help. How will businesses earn money and pay employee salaries if they are reducing the productivity?

I doubt any real consultations were made with the business community, etc before making the decision.

Perfect timing !!!

Who's bounding the the factories to close for two days in a week. They can produce as per their demand. Labour want to work but power shortage is the main hinderance but then I am damn sure that power problem will remain there.

unikorn is right. As nowadays majority is against the governments policies, so to make people happy they have come up with this idea.

Who’s bounding the the factories to close for two days in a week. They can produce as per their demand. Labour want to work but power shortage is the main hinderance but then I am damn sure that power problem will remain there.
[/quote]

Many industrial units already have generators.

now its nearly going to be approved

I think it wud b a disaster for many sectors

So many wont acept it

I think it wud b a disaster for many sectors

So many wont acept it

[/quote]

at least i will never accept it…

^So, you will go to school on holiday also?

lol

Gatekeeper will not let you enter. Will you quarrel with him.

No I have to go inside coz I will never accept this holiday.