3G services by Vodafone in India

Shame on all the cellular network providers of Pakistan. Kill yourself like Japanese honor suicide. Pitiless performance of executes of Pakistani cellular networks who can't even handle one force majeure disaster (fire in Mobilink's central hub). GPRS/EDGE services are still not working. Only call/SMS services are restored.

Cellular services of Pakistani networks are like cave-age era of 1990's. All their target is to push some new package for late-night long-duration calls and bundle SMS packages. Where is the latest technology of 2000's? Hell, this is 2011, it's second decade of twenty-first century and yet we are stuck at 1990's.

I just turned on TV after few months and what I saw in first 5 minutes? An ad by Vodafone India about 3G services (http://www.vodafone.in/) in India. They are offering 3G packages for pre-paid and post-paid customers.

The world is passing by us on a speed boat and we are still struggling to get proper EDGE coverage with better speed in Pakistan. Is this the same Pakistan who was the leader of technology in 1990s and early 2000s in this region?

History forget those nations who can't coup with latest technology. We'll be lost in oblivion if we can't match the speed of adaptation of latest technology as other countries in our region are achieving.

This is a wake-up calls to all the executives of Pakistani cellular service providers. Where is 3G services for Pakistan? When we'll get 3G in Pakistan? What is the current progress for 3G adaptation? If you (Pakistani cellular service providers) haven't plan it yet then start doing it so NOW!

it is coming into Pakistan just wait...

sources: sixth sense

3G will come in Pakistan when it will be obsolete in the rest of the world.

Heard from some guys that 3.5G is in the works and they may also be interested in 4G

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

it is coming into Pakistan just wait…

sources: sixth sense

[/quote]

LOL - Good Sources

BTW: This will happen the day when pigs grow wings… Let’s hope if not us, our kids may enjoy it. But they will also be furstrated like us becasue world will be on on something like 13G at that time.

And I tend to agree with Soner, when 3G equipment will be sold as junk rates, some of our telecom operator might try to buy and offer here.

Heard from some guys that 3.5G is in the works and they may also be interested in 4G
[/quote]

WiMax is sometime referred as 3.5G.

--

We already have 4G called Wi-max. Even a vast CDMA network like Vfone.

The whole infrastructure is there, it's just the lousy leaders who cannot deliver. Where there is no commision for them, then there is no service for Pakistani man.

We got broadband now which were a ordinary service during World war ll in rest of worlds and you guys talking about 3G now i don't think we will experience this service in our lifetimes maybe our children s children s children s children s children s children s children s will experience

--

I hope we see 3G mobile services by our beloved operators but sometimes i think one question when i look around and see people and their usage they are just interested in streaming or downloading pirated stuff so just thinking how many of you will use it for real productive stuff i am sure very few

am i right???

We got broadband now which were a ordinary service during World war ll in rest of worlds
[/quote]

I don’t think so…

As far as 3G is concerned I don’t think theres that big a market for it in Pakistan.

ITT the majority of mobile users in Pakistan are not very tech savvy…this could be because they are older aunties and uncles, or just from the working class who cannot read English (or cannot read at all)-so most of these folks cannot even use the SMS facility. I’ve been asked on a few occasions by some strangers sitting at a bus stop to please read an SMS they had just received, or please dial a particular contact’s number for them…I cannot imagine they would even care about something called ‘3G’; so I can understand why mobile companies are more adamant to sell gimmicky items-they are business after all and will pursue what sells best.

Well i would disagree with firestorm. Think about this, 3G comes with live TV streaming and video calling, these are irresistible features. I bet eveyone would want to watch TV on their cells.. every uncle and aunty, and Video calling would be booming aswell.. you know y :P .. However internet surfing wont be that common. If people are given a taste of affordable 3G they would hopefully like it.

I don’t think so…

As far as 3G is concerned I don’t think theres that big a market for it in Pakistan.

ITT the majority of mobile users in Pakistan are not very tech savvy…this could be because they are older aunties and uncles, or just from the working class who cannot read English (or cannot read at all)-so most of these folks cannot even use the SMS facility. I’ve been asked on a few occasions by some strangers sitting at a bus stop to please read an SMS they had just received, or please dial a particular contact’s number for them…I cannot imagine they would even care about something called ‘3G’; so I can understand why mobile companies are more adamant to sell gimmicky items-they are business after all and will pursue what sells best.

[/quote]

True that…

And yet this the Pakistani tech forum

Don’t want to go into the details but why would such technologies be introduced when the telcos are already making millions selling crap to crap?

Upgrading costs money… lots of it. Why would I invest lots more when I can achieve the same (profits not the technology, specially with regards with Pakistan) by introducing so-called free SMS and call packages which are actually not free cause you have to pay to get that free stuff.

look at nayatel, first Pakistani FTTH based service provider mainly operating in ISB (now spreading to RWP) for 5 years now. Offering dial-up speeds compared to what fiber is suppose to achieve not to mention the cost factor.

Well i would disagree with firestorm. Think about this, 3G comes with live TV streaming and video calling, these are irresistible features. I bet eveyone would want to watch TV on their cells… every uncle and aunty, and Video calling would be booming aswell… you know y :P … However internet surfing wont be that common. If people are given a taste of affordable 3G they would hopefully like it.
[/quote]

Thats not a disagreement :)

Its like I am saying I don’t know to drive and you are saying cultus is faster then suzuki FX …

I don’t think theres that big a market for it in Pakistan.
[/quote]

This is what i was diagreeing with.

As for your second suzuki FX point, I would say if you tell a random Pakistani that you should buy a ‘Lotus Evora’ he would have no clue what I am talking about. He may think I am crazy recommending him a perfume brand.However if he has seen a Lotus Evora driving past him he would definately want to get that car, even though he does not know what exactly it is called.

Just like that, if you ask about 3G to a average Pakistani he have no idea what junk i am talking about, until they are given a taste of it.

If the market isn't present, why is it that quite a number of people have bough smart phones with 3G functionality?

Not every place will have a populous that has 100% 3G desirability - cause the technology is only for those who use data.

Now - if operators have introduced data bundles, don't you think that merely proves that people are becoming data-centric, and they would only use their phones as an alternative to computers/laptops (i.e. desktop-based broadband)?

It's long-term we're talking about, not short term. Remember, there was once a point when people said "do we need a telephone?".

So after the Telenor Official's statement for not being able to launch 3G about 2 years ago only due to incompatible business cases with Government and PTA, now Mobilink is next in that queue for waiting and hoping for a good and plauseable business with Govt and PTA.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2011%5C03%5C16%5Cstory_16-3-2011_pg5_8

CEO Mobilink said the allocation of this spectrum should be planned in a manner that presents a plausible business case for the cellular mobile operators keeping in view the challenging financial situation surrounding the cellular mobile industry in Pakistan.
[/quote]

It's just Govt to decide in favor of people and not only in favor of their selves.

It's yesterday's one. Wonder! every one of us is having concerns and speaking about 3G in Pakistan and no one is having an eye around.

You only can hope for best.

--