3G launch likely to be successful in Pakistan

LAHORE: The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) and the telecom sector are optimistic about the success of 3G (third generation) telecommunication services in Pakistan, despite resistance from some telecom operators.

Full Story

hmm.... what i make out from the article.

- some telco resisting so this mean they have no intention to upgrade there already obsolete 2g setup, so whoever invest in another soon to be obsolete 3g will get major mobile data user customers.

- 3g is almost obsolete all around the world cell companies are upgrading their networks to 4g, so there will be s-hit load of obsolete used 3g network hardware in world used hardware auction markets which local telcos can pick up dirt cheap to implement it here in pakistan like 10 cents on a dollar.

- yup we all should be happy we'll be getting obsolete 3g in pakistan god knows when.... what a pathetic same old story....

No its fake news story 3g 3.5g 4g never ever launch in Pak

4G network provide 21.6Mbps data speed on the move, with this speed you can browse web faster and online HD video streams without pausing

make HD video calls too

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

4G network provide 21.6Mbps data speed on the move, with this speed you can browse web faster and online HD video streams without pausing

make HD video calls too

[/quote]

oh really wow you can do all that with 4G!!! enough dreaming now wake up to your reality

[Roman Urdu removed]

3G is a sham. There is no point implementing it here except to earn PTA license fees. Best would be to skip to 4G and focus on data services.

Aaaaaarrrrrr........Always these teleco operators, they just want people to remain in their jigsaw of sms bundles and call packages.

Best would be to skip to 4G and focus on data services.
[/quote]

You are right. Pakistan needs improvement in data services. Many times i hear from my mates abroad the seas, always telling "o yar! you know what! data services are cheaper than calling, and many packages are available on it." and i'm like this :S eeerrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!! Man what the hell is wrong with service providers they don't want us in 21'st century.

Let it come yaar.

If your demand is 4g than wait for another atleast 5 years as they will start saying:

"Physibility work is going on"

"Procurement work is going on"

"Fighting a case in court"

Even mullahs will not allow the 4g as according to them it will spread evil even at a faster speed.

Although its not equal to 4g but imagine if Telenor starts 3g than most probably they could afford to install equipment at every tower. And if happens than I will be more than happy as I don' have real alternates of Wateen (with cheap noise margin and high monthly fee) and PTCL (whose network doesn't support DSL in most of my city).

What about WiMax and EVDO? Which 'G' are they considered a part of?

What about WiMax and EVDO? Which ‘G’ are they considered a part of?
[/quote]

many technologies has come and gone, question is not about wimax or etc and what G they belong to question is when the consortium of telecom industry people meet and decide what technology to include in their 4G or 5G as standard across the board etc, thats whats important is, for example if they include wimax as data standard then wimax becomes the king and if not then wimax is nothing irrespective of how wimax is technologically superior. just like blue ray standard was chosen over HD-DVD even though many tech experts said HD-DVD was superior to Blue ray.

802.16d is fixed Wimax and has no mobility. 802.16e does have mobility. However, it does not meet the requirements for standard speeds as required by ITU-R. 802.16m may be 4G capable.

many technologies has come and gone, question is not about wimax or etc and what G they belong to question is when the consortium of telecom industry people meet and decide what technology to include in their 4G or 5G as standard across the board etc, thats whats important is, for example if they include wimax as data standard then wimax becomes the king and if not then wimax is nothing irrespective of how wimax is technologically superior. just like blue ray standard was chosen over HD-DVD even though many tech experts said HD-DVD was superior to Blue ray.

[/quote]

VHS vs Betamax debate…

I'd like to point out to everyone that 4G, in it's true form, does not exist in the world. Anywhere. What Verizon/AT&T/the Swedish companies advertise is NOT 4G, but a precursor to 4G.

You can check out articles on Wiki to find out what speed you should get with 4G. 21 Mbps is NOT 4G.

And half of the world is already on 3G. Not everyone will upgrade to 4G because of

1) handsets (and the lack thereof)

2) cost,

3) (in my opinion) lack of demand. I may not understand the need for blazing fast speeds of 21 Mbps on the move when people can do the same thing with HSPDA.

And I think 4G is just a phase... until the REAL 4G comes - which won't be here for a long time.

Oh - and to prove the point that it costs and there isn't alot of demand, just see how many cities are covered with 4G. Remember, not all places in the UK have 3G coverage, so 4G would be less than a fraction of the coverage (something isn't correct in this sentence grammatically)

i think telecom companies know that market is not yet ready for 3G , coz i dont c many ppl using mms or internet , huge chunk of mobile users are ill literate and poor ppl they dont need 3G, n i disagree about pakistani telecoms not providing good service ,

i think telecom companies know that market is not yet ready for 3G , coz i dont c many ppl using mms or internet , huge chunk of mobile users are ill literate and poor ppl they dont need 3G
[/quote]

agree thats why i think pakistan will always be 7 to 8 years behind in terms of mobile data services. compare to total mobile service user, data users in my opinion are less than 10%

n i disagree about pakistani telecoms not providing good service ,
[/quote]

pakistan got one of the worst services in terms of voice and data, and also customer handling either in person or on phone, to talk to above receptionist level still require to go through shahi culture b-ullshit. anyway only reason you saying that maybe you are related to this field.

no brother i m absolutely not related with telecoms, may b my standard is 2 low :D

may b my standard is 2 low :D
[/quote]

as far as telecom service is concerned yes bro you are right about yourself.

--

^ than what is this > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf9F9ZHo4eg - speed test taken with a USB modem with sim inserted they call it mobile broadband, 4G, & HSPA+ network

http://tinyurl.com/6ktgn4m

i really still dont believe that it is gonna launch in Pakistan..

Make this thing clear in your head

Paypal & 3G are not meant to be for Pakistanis... :/

i really still dont believe that it is gonna launch in Pakistan…

Make this thing clear in your head

Paypal & 3G are not meant to be for Pakistanis… :confused:

[/quote]

- its useless topic in my opinion as far as Pakistan is concerned,

- i can’t blame the mobile companies, if data users are like only 2 to 4 out of every 100 mobile phone customers, then why heck they invest on that infrastructure its common business sense to invest in what sells to majority which is voice calls.