3D Gaming Card for P4

Hi all,

one of my colleagues has a p4 (i915G) system for his kids.

His kids are asking to buy a play-station; however, my friend thinks that buying a 3D card for gaming might be an economical and smarter choice.

I believe this PC has a PCIe slot; so which 3D cards should he look for?

What is his budget?

Do he want to buy a new or used one?

What are the specs of this PC?

What types & era of games do they play?

budget is around 6k

specs of pc.... a 3.2 GHz p-4 (single core); 1GB RAM

wants to buy a new one.

game types.....GTA, racing etc.

The specs aren't so bad, they'll do fine for those games, the best new card in his budget would be the ATI HD4670, it is available for 5500 on Galaxy (1GB version), you'll get it for less in normal shops, the 512mb version will be even lesser, but I'll recommend the 1GB version, specially since it fits his budget.

get the ddr 3 version of the 4670, because the ddr 2 version is a weaker card

also if he increase his budget by 500 rs, then the 5670 and gt 240 are a good option as well

Thanks a lot for all the feedback...

Someone is selling his XFX 9600GT for Rs.5500; he is suggesting that it is faster than 4670.

What if my colleague agrees to buy a used card. Will this be a good bet ?

^ I was gonna recommend a used 9600gt, but didn't because you said he wanted to buy a new one... Anyways, the 9600gt is quite better than the 4670, make sure that its the normal version though, not the new green edition crap, they don't require a PCI-E card, but are alot weaker...

[quote=“akif, post:6, topic:14908”]

Thanks a lot for all the feedback…

Someone is selling his XFX 9600GT for Rs.5500; he is suggesting that it is faster than 4670.

What if my colleague agrees to buy a used card. Will this be a good bet ?

[/quote]

a week ago my 8800gts card crashed and that was an awesome card and i bought it for 24000 at that time, so i had to buy a newer one for time pass because my pc has no built in display, so i bought exactly same xfx 9600gt and that is playing nfs pro street and company of heroes also. so for sure buy that card but price shld be 5000 :D cz its new in 5800 rps.

but at that p4 it may not play that games but gta and nfs mostwanted will be played for sure

^ Not really, a new 9600gt costs around 7k, and used ones are usually sold around 5500-6000 (4500-5000 for the green edition). So the demand of the person offering his card to OP is fine... but still OP should negotiate as much as he can though like a typical buyer.

Buy any card but i suggest u dont buy to much expensive...just buy card with 512mb DDR3 ram and used card...in cost of 3000 to 4000 Max.

I would recommend u buy a 8800GT 640mb card..... 340bit

GTA IV plays like charm....

But need to upgrade the ram <_< as 640mb is less and more the ram, more the virtual memory will be :)

And yeah the cost of the card is 5000.. i know the shopkeeper who was selling me at this price. But my cousin said k wo Pakistan ara hai to 460GTX lai ker ayega .. aur wo laiker agaya mjhay card hi kharedna nahi para ;)

[quote=“Upsilon, post:9, topic:14908”]

^ Not really, a new 9600gt costs around 7k, and used ones are usually sold around 5500-6000 (4500-5000 for the green edition). So the demand of the person offering his card to OP is fine… but still OP should negotiate as much as he can though like a typical buyer.

[/quote]

Yes my fault, mine one is 9500gt. Thanks for correction.

[quote=", post:10, topic:14908"]

Buy any card but i suggest u dont buy to much expensive…just buy card with 512mb DDR3 ram and used card…in cost of 3000 to 4000 Max.

[/quote]

Im just curious to know what made you reply to a 2 month old thread … ?

[quote=", post:13, topic:14908"]

Im just curious to know what made you reply to a 2 month old thread … ?

[/quote]

He’s a new member and had to increase his posts :P like you and me

I just want to know why do people buy FX 5200, 5500 & 6200 kind of crap entry level gaming cards for their old pcs u know i got an xfx 7300 gt for my pentium d system i can oc it beyond the safe limits without compromising stability & heatup issues with this i run gta iv on lowest possible settings via commandlines keep in mind that gta iv needs geforce 7900 at minimum requirement there 1 more thing which makes me 2 appreciate the quality of this product that it comes with passive heatsink but still core temp remains under 50-55 C (125 C is the threshold level)

Core = 500 MHz (350 MHz Original)

Mem = 440 MHz (266 MHz Original)

GPixel/s = 4.0 (2.8 Original)

GTexel/s = 6.0 (4.2 Original)

Bandwidth = 14 GB/s (8.5 GB/s Original)

GTA IV COMMANDLINES

-noprecache

-norestrictions

-nomemrestrict

-noswapdelay

-availablevidmem 2

-texturequality 0