1Tb external HD

Where to find a good one in Karachi? which store? and how much would they be?

There are two types of External HDD, USB powered and self Powered. Latter one cost around 7000-9000 Rs for 1TB.

and how much would the USB powered be? which one is better? and where could i find one for a reasonable cost?

I recommend you get Seagate FreeAgent Go. Will cost you around 8400 for the 1TB version. I am currently using a Seagate FreeAgent 320 GB. Its been running very good for the past 8 months. No problems.

Why not just buy a regular 3.5" internal HDD for around Rs. 6000 and a USB SATA enclosure for around Rs. 800? It'll cost less than an external drive.

Ok guys, this is for a mac laptop. The one thats actually at the apple stores specifically for mac are really expensive, and I can't pay for that. I'm looking to spend about 7000-8500 only, so I'm just asking where I would be able to get the 1Tb external HDD for around this price. I've looked up couple hard drives that are compatible with mac, but i just dont know where I would be able to get it for around this price. But which ones are cheaper, the USB powered or self powered?

What you want is a Portable USB Hard Drive for storing images, movies, other media. Right? Then go to this link:

http://www.galaxy.com.pk/hard-drive.htm

And check the Portable section. All portable hard drive should be compatible with Mac.

Basically "self powered" portable hard drives are for those people who want better read / write times so that they can play games or run softwares off it. That is "performance" users. USB powered portable hard drives have slightly lower read / write times but are the most convenient and cheaper as well. If your needs are limited to storing movies, media, documents etc then go for USB powered Portable HD.

Just a hunch, are you buying this USB HD for using as a Time Machine under MacOSX?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Why not just buy a regular 3.5" internal HDD for around Rs. 6000 and a USB SATA enclosure for around Rs. 800? It’ll cost less than an external drive.
[/quote]

I have heard this is not a reliable solution. Is that true?

^^ I am wondering about that too.

To the op: Just about any external HDD will work with a Mac. You will be able to read/write data to it. The only problem is that software utilities included with the HDD may not be available for the Mac. You don't *need* these programs anyway so its not a deal breaker. But what you can do is visit the manufacturer's site and see if they offer a mac version of their software.

Thanks for the info and website. I will be using it as a Time Machine, as well as the normal storage capabilities.

do you know if they have an actual store in Karachi? Or we can only order from the website?

I'm gonna go ahead with the WD 1Tb Elements. I know its the cheapest one, hah, but it has good reviews/enough requirements for me and it is compatible.

After going through some more reviews and such, I'm gonna have to go with the WD My Book Essential instead.

Is this the only place that would have this HDD, and is this the cheapest price if anyone knows?

just pointing something out, the WD MB essential 2Tb is MORE than double the price of the 1Tb. Shouldn't it be slightly less than double? just wondering if this is the only place with the most reasonable costs.

You can go with either this http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=725 (I would recommend it ) or this one http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=720. My friend had both, and he think is more reliable one.

2Tb price is demand and supply issue IMHO.

I have seen some good models @ Czone.com.pk in different prices you must have a look and find relevant 1TB External HDD ideas and information from there

Ill be getting 1.5TB WD external HDD next month, if ur intrested i can order one for u too.

I use SATA drives,its very reliable u also visit czome.com.pk

Why don't you people look for a NAS, it gives higher read and write than USB.

Why not just buy a regular 3.5" internal HDD for around Rs. 6000 and a USB SATA enclosure for around Rs. 800? It’ll cost less than an external drive.
[/quote]

no comparison between internal to USB and external one .

the external one is built to absorb shocks during transportation / traveling . Internal HDD are really fragile and can easily damage with a small shock .

no comparison between internal to USB and external one .

the external one is built to absorb shocks during transportation / traveling . Internal HDD are really fragile and can easily damage with a small shock .

[/quote]

All HDDs can handle transportation. After all they are composed of parts built in half a dozen countries around the world. The various parts get moved around before finally being assembled in countries like Thailand. Then the completed drives get sent to consumers around the world. If they weren’t built for transportation how could they work?

Also I think they use the same internal HDDs in their external drives. They just place them in cases. There are some people who have removed the drives from the cases and are using them as internal drives:

http://www.overclock.net/other-hardware-mods/213783-removing-hdd-wd-mybook-essential.html

Of course I have read that the cheap USB enclosures available in Pakistan aren’t particularly reliable. There are better quality brand name ones available (welland?) but they are more expensive. The main advantage here is that you can replace the drive as and when you want.

There is also this bracket that you can install in your case. It allows you to easily swap internal HDDs:

http://www.welland.com.tw/html/mobile/751.html

Costs Rs. 2k locally

--