$199 3G iPhone expected

USA Today reports today in a lengthy piece about the new iPhone. They expect according to their sources that the iPhone 2.0 would be selling for only $199.

The $199 price of the iPhone would be of course subsidised by AT&T and sure require a new contract.

USA Today states as launch date of the new iPhone Summer. Our expection based on various shipment rumors is that it will even go on sale today or end of this week already.

USA Today highlights the new possibilities users will have with Applications for the iPhone based on the new iPhone SDK.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/main/08/06/09/199-3g-iphone-expected

OK, I have never really waited before for Apple's announcements but this one has actually caught me. If iPhone goes 199$, before subsidies by AT&T that is, how much do you think it will sell for there? I'm so getting this if this price cut happens. They should sell it without it being carrier bound, across the globe along with iPods etc. etc.

If iPhone goes 199$, I am sure price of iPod Touch will go down too. Aiming for that if not for an iPhone ;)

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

If iPhone goes 199$, I am sure price of iPod Touch will go down too. Aiming for that if not for an iPhone ;)
[/quote]

Yeah, me too. The real reason I’m following the news on this is that I want to get an iPod touch!

But then the $199 will be after subsidies by AT&T - sill that really effect the touch?

Waiting for Android...

I'll buy an Iphone 2.0 for 199USD... but I'm sure this one will be far tougher to crack, as At&T is subsidizing it. On the last Iphone, you could get the 400 dollar one for about 520-550 dollars, so a 200 dollar phone should be around 300 or even less.

It's official. Steve has said the price of iPhone 3G won't max 200 US$ for 8GB. This is awesome news. Its gonna roll out in 70 countries later this year I think. India is included as far as I could see in one of the map pictures. Pakistan isn't...

"It's been a long, leak-filled wait, but Apple finally took the wraps off its 3G iPhone. Thinner edges, full plastic back, flush headphone jack, and the iPhone 2.0 firmware -- Apple's taking a lot of the criticisms to heart from the first time around. Obviously 3G is at the forefront, but they're also making sure it's available all over internationally, works with enterprises, runs 3rd party apps... and does it all for cheaper. Apple claims its 3G speeds trounce the competition, with pageloads 36% faster than the N95 and Treo 750 -- and of course it completely trounces the old EDGE data. Battery life isn't getting put out to pasture though, with 300 hours of standby, 8-10 hours of 2G talk, 5 hours of 3G talk, 7 hours of video and 24 hours of audio. GPS is also a go. Apple is using A-GPS, which supplements regular satellite GPS data with info from cellular towers. WiFi data is also worked into the mix, which should give users a pretty solid lock on where the heck they are on this planet. Unfortunately, there's no front-facing cam, which syncs with what we were hearing, but is still a little disappointing. Apple hopes to launch in 70 countries this year. 8GB is available for $199, 16GB for $299 -- and the 16GB comes in white. Both pricepoints require a contract. Apple will be hitting the 22 biggest markets, including the US, on July 11th. Pre-orders are available now at the Apple Store.

Other tidbits:

* It's a teensy bit thicker.

* A SIM ejector comes in the box, at last.

* There's no dock included, just a USB power adapter.

"

All can be seen/read here: http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/09/steve-jobs-keynote-live-from-wwdc-2008/ haha. I don't believe I waited for an Apple announcement and went through the whole conference thing. lool.

200US$ is amazing (I paid that like 2 months ago to get iPod Nano 8GB, lol). KO, even if its 300$ after subsidies, they have changed their usual HIGH PRICE thing. Nokia's 8GB is selling for everyone knows how much. Yeah they have their own name. I always dreamed of a touch screen phone. This I feel will be it. I hope this also means the prices of iPod Touch and iPod Nano going down. This may also force other companies to sell their touch screen phones in less price so its all gwooood.

I wish they follow the same price drop trend in all their products including MacBooks...

The bad news is, you can only buy the Iphone after signing a contract with a carrier first - so it's not going to be readily available in the local market.

With the original Iphone, anyone could walk into an Apple store and buy bags full of iphones, without needed a contract. They than changed it to only 1 phone per person - and now it's buy contract first, than the phone!

Pakistan isn't on the list of 70 countries either...

I know it won't be available in the local market OFFICIALLY. They really need to release it as carrier free too.

But as original iPhones, this will flood local market too. I mean look at all the people selling it. I have a way in mind to get hands on one after the *crackers* dig it up so not worrying about it.

Places like Madagascar, Guatemala, Kenya are on the list - no offense meant to those countries, but then why not Pakistan?

Probably because we don't have carriers like Vodafone or AT&T here. I'd heard rumors that Wateen was starting this here - any news on that?

I got an email from Apple (Inside Apple news) about the 3G iPhone and this is what it said at the bottom:

*Based on 3G and EDGE testing. Actual speeds vary by site conditions. Based on iPhone 3G (8GB) and first-generation iPhone (8GB) purchases. Requires new 2-year AT&T rate plan, sold separately.

Some products or promotions are not available outside the U.S. Product specifications are subject to change.

[/quote]

The * was on "Half the price" in the image.

The iPod touch probably won't get an update until September so I guess its best to wait for it until then. :(

PS. Keynote here if anyone wants to watch.

ya why not pakistan!

we have one of the largest telecom industry!

ya why not pakistan!

we have one of the largest telecom industry!

[/quote]

yes we have but … the name pakistan???

iPhone 3G is up for pre-orders on a US Shopping Website as *Contract Free*. The site looks legit to me. Wondering how they are gonna pull it. Being listed for $300 and ships International.

Seems they're making up for the device's price with contract prices. O2 offering "free" iPhone with £45 per month plan.

BTW, joker, which site is that?

http://www.international-orders.com/index.php

how much will it cost in pakistani market, 8gh iphone

I would lovef to buy if its under 20

how much will it cost in pakistani market, 8gh iphone
[/quote]

I guess we’ll find out when it gets here!

If they sell unlocked, I guess that would be cool.

However, what an awesome target you’d be with an iPhone out on the streets. Touch-screens make phones look so much more expensive…

EDIT: Look what I found in the international-orders.com FAQs

We currently offer a “speculated price” for the unit for the pre-order.

The price on our site can be the final price based on the very vague pricing information from Apple.

The 3G iPhone lists as: “starting at $199” * on the Apple website.

We have yet to confirm if this is the pricing of the unit under contract only or the final retail pricing with or without contract.

Only will we have a final answer on July 11th.

[/quote]

I think they’ve even gotten rid of the “unlocked” on the product page - I can’t find it

Unlocked I don't think was written on their iPhone 3G page. Another iPhone selling website I came across is also going to take pre-orders from 1st July. I had a chat with their customer service guy. He said the 3G is gonna sell with us for $700 for locked!!!

ok i have a few question ( i m a bit confused)

1.if someone brings iphone 2.0 to pakistan will it work.

2.what about price i think only ATnt customer get it for 200 usd.

ok i have a few question ( i m a bit confused)

1.if someone brings iphone 2.0 to pakistan will it work.

2.what about price i think only ATnt customer get it for 200 usd.

[/quote]

1) it can work if it is unlocked or jail breaked as they say

2) the iphone with a contract to at nt service is 200 usd no idea of the stand alone pricing