13.1" laptops?

I'm currently looking for a laptop sized 13.1 or 14 inches, not any bigger than that. Don't have a particular budget but should be a midrange core i3 or core2duo. I've checked some local online websites, all I get are either 15.6" or netbooks, there's nothing in the middle other than maybe 1 or 2 laptops. Is there any place I should look in particular?

You can buy a Lenovo Edge 14 inch. Its available in Karachi i think:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/landing_pages/thinkpad/2010/Edge

Price is around 65k for new i think.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

check Dell mini note book 10.1" and rate is about 300 $
[/quote]

10.1 is just too small for word processing or spreadsheets.

it would be around 50,000 rupees for core2 duo or core i3

HP DV2 (Athlon Neo Processor) is working fine with Windows 7 for above half a year. Check following if the 12.1" is considerable for you.

http://wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=155818

It's fine for word processing in average use.

Quite Expensive though.

HP DV2 (Athlon Neo Processor) is working fine with Windows 7 for above half a year. Check following if the 12.1" is considerable for you.

http://wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=155818

It’s fine for word processing in average use.

Quite Expensive though.

[/quote]

Looks good, but might be a bit outdated or there may be a newer model out. Where did you buy it from? I’m a bit apprehensive about the processor too. And at that particular price the dell n4030 is available from galaxy, 14.1" with core i3, much better I think.

I have Pavillion dm3. Its very nice machine. I like it. My one is AMD . You should get intel . I got it for 420$. you probabl will get it in Pk from 40k may be

Looks good, but might be a bit outdated or there may be a newer model out. Where did you buy it from? I’m a bit apprehensive about the processor too. And at that particular price the dell n4030 is available from galaxy, 14.1" with core i3, much better I think.

[/quote]

Outdated… I don’t know about that but dv series always looks young perhaps…

I suggested this only for your word processing and alike tasks including the small screen requirement of yours.

But the HP DV series of course is considered to be expensive with a nice outfit. In Dell we don’t get such designs in any model. I however didn’t buy any thing outside from Dell ranges. Also never advised any one other than the Dell. But I can advise that don’t go for any Inspiron model later than 1564. I, in fact, am not impressed with Inspiron series frankly speaking. It might be fine for normal/average use as per your requirement. I personally can’t use it for my work any way. (currently writing this post on Inspiron 1564)

I bought dv2 to give as a gift so that’s why I chose this for my little sis. And about the processor, I can say that it’s far above than Intel’s Atom, which you normally get in smaller notebooks/netbooks.

dv2 with Athelon Neo, is quite good even running Windows 7 with and with MS Office 2007, Adobe Reader, iTunes, and Nokia PC/Ovi Suite. Watching movies, multimedia, etc… are just good. I’ll not call it just a netbook. It’s more than that.

Lastly I would not recommend this machine(dv2) if you can afford bigger sizes (at least 14.1") and if you are satisfied with Dell designs and if you are male. Go for Dell for sure.

hmm thats the trouble, I need the laptop for my sis who has a looks requirement too lol, in that case...HP wins. Also you didn't mention where you purchased this laptop.

As for Inspiron, I am also writing this on my Inspiron 1564 :D. The thing with this laptop is that it looks good, very high specs for the price, but overall you feel that Dell may have compromised the quality of the components due to the price. I bought mine in August, last month there was all sorts of trouble like the webcam wouldn't work, on battery power the screen would sometimes go white when playing movies or just moving the lid and I had to send it under the warranty. They replaced a part (maybe the cable linking the screen to the motherboard) and now it's back to normal. But I do get the feeling that I won't get more than 2 years out of this laptop.

i had 1545 inspiron and its build quality was worst @

I have found HP machines to run very hot when running movies or doing graphics intensive work. So much so that you even you cannot rest your palms below the area on the keyboard. I would recommend you go for Dell or the the IBM machine i mentioned above. Its awesome looks wise and has the reliability of a Thinkpad as well.

hmm thats the trouble, I need the laptop for my sis who has a looks requirement too lol, in that case…HP wins. Also you didn’t mention where you purchased this laptop.
[/quote]

I did buy from one of my known sellers. But I think they are easily available in market. I recently saw a few in Hafeez Center.

As for Inspiron, I am also writing this on my Inspiron 1564 :D. The thing with this laptop is that it looks good, very high specs for the price, but overall you feel that Dell may have compromised the quality of the components due to the price. I bought mine in August, last month there was all sorts of trouble like the webcam wouldn’t work, on battery power the screen would sometimes go white when playing movies or just moving the lid and I had to send it under the warranty. They replaced a part (maybe the cable linking the screen to the motherboard) and now it’s back to normal. But I do get the feeling that I won’t get more than 2 years out of this laptop.
[/quote]

BTW I didn’t feel such a trouble on it. I, myself, prepared it for my bro. Yes the Web Cam part was terrible that it was the hardest time I faced finding a good driver for it but later I got that. I just don’t like the built quality of Inspiron.

IBM are great. Yes Hp got heating issues

Why dont you take Netbook they are giving good results in cheap rates!

I bought the Dell N4030 from Galaxy Computers, Core i3, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 14.1" screen. Cost was Rs 51,500. Earlier I went down to Hyperstar and the same laptop was Rs 57,900 :S. I don't know why there would be such a huge difference in price but obviously I went with Galaxy. The one thing that is now confusing me is that the charger which came from the laptop is different from the normal Dell charger, its smaller, doesn't have Dell emblem and has a little green light in the adapter rather than the blue light ring in the charging pin. I'd like to know if this is the original charger that was supposed to come in the box, because everything else looks fine, the laptop, service tag number, etc.